Need advice on track day brakes..

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:58 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Jim:

GTP's use Porsche TT OEM rotors and there is not a slotted, direct replacement option on those. The front hats were specifically made for the less-costly 993 TT front rotor and the rear uses the TT OEM ones to retain the E-brake.

I do slotted rotors (Alcon) in that size but they are NOT cheap since they are full-floating and require different hats/hardware.
Steve can you give me an idea (via PM if you wish) on the price for slotted rotors (front and back) that I can use on my 1995 993 with 17 inch wheels? I have plenty of brake power but the cross drilled rotors are not holding up very well since both my wife and I drive the car back to back at DE's. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

H iCarm:

The AP or Alcon slotted rotors run $ 1850/pr (floating or bolted) on the front. Rears are not available in that size and you'd lose the E-brake if you wanted a custom setup.

Cooling is critical when using these smaller rotors (305mm) on the track with these heavy cars so I'd also recommend that you install a pair of GT-3 Cup air deflectors on the front A-arms. You'll need to do some modifications to make them fit, but they help reduce brake temps.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

H iCarm:

The AP or Alcon slotted rotors run $ 1850/pr (floating or bolted) on the front. Rears are not available in that size and you'd lose the E-brake if you wanted a custom setup.

Cooling is critical when using these smaller rotors (305mm) on the track with these heavy cars so I'd also recommend that you install a pair of GT-3 Cup air deflectors on the front A-arms. You'll need to do some modifications to make them fit, but they help reduce brake temps.
Steve thanks for the reply. I have the combo air duct fog light setup on the car but I have not run duct work to the rotors yet ... The GT-3 Cup air deflectors sounds like a very good idea. The price on the slotted rotors is a bit more then I was thinking but you did warn me . Would I be able to use the GTP setup on my car with 17 inch rims and if so can you let me know the cost of those?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
Steve thanks for the reply. I have the combo air duct fog light setup on the car but I have not run duct work to the rotors yet ... The GT-3 Cup air deflectors sounds like a very good idea. The price on the slotted rotors is a bit more then I was thinking but you did warn me . Would I be able to use the GTP setup on my car with 17 inch rims and if so can you let me know the cost of those?
Cooling is Critical,....

Indeed, these pro-grade racing rotors are NOT cheap, compared to OEM ones, but the quality/longevity is in a different league altogether. No comparison.

GTP brakes will fit a 17" wheel with no problem and they are really a better solution due to much improved thermal dissipation capacity. In the long run, you'd be much happier.

PM'ing you the numbers.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Cooling is Critical,....

Indeed, these pro-grade racing rotors are NOT cheap, compared to OEM ones, but the quality/longevity is in a different league altogether. No comparison.

GTP brakes will fit a 17" wheel with no problem and they are really a better solution due to much improved thermal dissipation capacity. In the long run, you'd be much happier.

PM'ing you the numbers.
Cool! I'm off to read your PM

Quick Reply: Need advice on track day brakes..