Notices

944 N/A TRACK CAR RANDOM HARD UNDERSTEER

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 12:08 AM
jinotown
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 N/A TRACK CAR RANDOM HARD UNDERSTEER

My '83 track only car has a very random understeer problem. The car is set up well. It runs fantastic for a while at a DE, then all of the sudden, it will push real hard (sometimes, right off the track). I believe mainly on left hand turns. I have checked for bearing issues. There seems to be no problems with the suspension. Heat or time does not matter. This only happens when I am driving very hard. My Koni struts still have the original bump stops on them. Could I be bottoming the right front strut? Should I cut the bump stops shorter? The front springs are 500 lbs., with a Weltmeister bar. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2005, 07:22 PM
timo944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably is the bump stop. I had to cut mine shorter. If your ride height is really low I woudl say yes it;s the problem. I have cut mine down to about 2" and had no problem with the shock blowing out.

Another problem occurs with Fabcar A-arms on low cars - The a-arm hits the crossmember.

timo
Old 05-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd say the bump stops are the most likely problem. Something is binding and causing you to lose your suspension completely causing relative weight transfer to the front.
Other ideas: bearings? suspension arm bushings (perhaps the suspension is moving laterally as well as vertically causing it to hit the stops more easily?)

-dc

Quick Reply: 944 N/A TRACK CAR RANDOM HARD UNDERSTEER