MoTec M600

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 AM
janhunsb
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MoTec M600

Hi,
Anybody out there with experience on setting up a M600 on a modified 3,4 l engine based on a Carrera 3,2 liter. In particular I am looking for the best config of the "ref" and "sync" sensors as well as an intial 3,2 start up file.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What are you using as trigger wheels? I use a 60-2 DME flywheel from Patrick Motorsport with the factory mag sensor, and Clewett has a trick little sensor and trigger wheel that can fit on the end of your driver's side camshaft.

Alternatives are to use a 964 Distributor with the weights locked so the shaft does not pivot and use the built in hall sensor for sync, and a pully/trigger wheel/sensor bracket from Kevin and myself for reference triggering.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
janhunsb
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Geoffrey,
Thanks for reply. I will be using a lightened 964 flywheel for a 915 gearbox with a 996 sensor for "ref" signals. For next season I will be running 964 RS cams. No way the 3,2 distributor can be "upgraded" to do the "sync" signal job?? MoTec has in its catalogue on page 39 a "Porsche narrow tooth distr. chopper wheel". Will this do the job?
A 964 distr. might have been the answer given double ignition, which may be on next winters "to do list" if I choose to go for hotter cams.
The car is presently being built for class 1 of our norwegian Porsche Club Racing Series. This means a 4kg/hp limit. 300 hp at 1200kgs inclusive of driver and fuel will get me spot on.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can use the MoTeC narrow tooth trigger wheel, however, it is based off of the Ford narrow tooth triggering scheme which has 1 tooth per cylinder AND is using the distributor for crank reference. The "narrow tooth" tells the ECU the sync position. Not my favorite method because it is not as accurate as a multitooth mode and there is slop in the gears. Personally, I'd look for other altertives like I mentioned above. When you switch to a 964 twin distributor, be sure to check the distributor gear against the one you are using. I believe it is opposite and will need the proper gear installed in the engine to match the distributor or have the distributor bushed down to fit the older style gear.

Quick Reply: MoTec M600