Notices

Mass Air Flow - 3.2 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:23 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mass Air Flow - 3.2 911

Does anyone have a MAF with a free flow exhaust out there? Is the improvement marginal?
Old 04-09-2004, 03:50 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had My Cab i thought about doing the MAF. However I just could not see how that MAF increase HP by that much. I think they claimed 20% or 40HP. It is too large of an investment. As far as exhaust it will give you arround 18-20 HP, but it will have to use back dated headers like SSI and dual inlet mufflers and is not be smog legal. The only system is GHL has header cat and muffler sysytem, but it is expensive. Free flow mufflers will not help much maybe 7 HP. Ask Steve at rennsport in OR he knows better than I. You can PM him he is on the board.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:18 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Thanks for the reply.

I meant having the MAF WITH headers/sport muffler. I'm sure it makes a difference if you have the MAF with the stock exhaust and if you have it with headers, etc, since you have more flow coming out, not just in.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:22 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is that MAF? Second I don't think it will help much because your throttle body will be stock so no real gain in airflow. I think the reason the MAF was changed is to improve fuel mapping, however performance chips can do it. As I said before check with a guy like Steve who does not sell this device to get a honest opinon
Old 04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If my addled brain is functioning properly, I believe there was an article in Excellence a few years back where Bruce Anderson tested a bunch of different mods on the dyno... I;m pretty sure it was a 3.2.... try to get your hands on that.... or maybe I was halucinating...

From the scuttlebutt I hear.... and this is all second hand... the MAF produces much imporved throttle response, but not alot of HP... at least used by itself.... didn;t convince me to pop $2K
Old 04-16-2004, 02:33 AM
raceman77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

l`ve got an 84 Carrera, GHL non-cat full exhaust,bored T-body and Autothority MAF ,Steve Wong chip (among a long list of mods).l found the MAF kit to really wake up the engine.lf you look at the flapper style AFM that`s stock on the car and the hotwire MAF sensor you can see a pretty dramatic advantage to the almost zero visable restriction MAF.You don`t need a larger T-body to see gains,the stock T-body is big enough for a stock internals 3.2.The power gains aren`t incredible,but they`re real and in my opinion well worth it.l bought my system used through Hemmings for $1000.00.The MAF that Autothority uses is a Bell M unit and if l were to do it again l`d put my own system together.l think chip tuner Steve Wong may be of help there ,he`s on the board.l say go for it,do the mod.l`ve not heard from anyone yet who didn`t like it.l have heard of a few gripe about the price though but speed costs dough and we`re talking about Porsches here,what do youy expect? Chevy 350 prices?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Yes, I heard that they make a kit for Mustangs that can be used (somewhat?) to create a 911 MAF. Any comments?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

APP:

Everyone has an opinion about the effectiveness of the various MAF kits, so I'll add mine,...

IMHO, they are not a good bang-for-the-buck unless one has done a lot of other mods, first.

Ultimately, the quality of the software dictates the success of these things.

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow - 3.2 911