Notices

Prepping for Track - 997.1 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 10:37 AM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Jeff.

I've definitely noticed an improvement in braking performance and heat management with the larger AP units and higher temp & torque pads... and yea, cool down laps are ideal, but not always possible (we had a red flag situation last weekend and that was pretty harsh on the system i'm sure) but even with doing bleeds between days i was still getting a squishy pedal about halfway through a 20 min session. Now, i'm not talking 'the pedal goes to the floor and i have no brake pressure', rather it is more that i am not getting a consistent pedal feel and the pedal travel increases with time... i'm only doing Time Trials so i can back out of it whenever i want but if i'm hunting for a best-lap, the last thing i want going through my head is 'do i need to back my braking points up further now?' and as an added demerit, it makes me change my heel-toe technique when i need more pedal travel and pressure.

As an optional improvement i've ordered a new GT3 brake master cylinder - i'm hoping this will provide a little more pressure with same travel and maybe just having a fresh master cyl will help as well.

I'll check out the brake fluid you mentioned, but i do wonder if 22*F difference will be all that noticeable.
RBF660 - 622*F
AP R4 - 644*F
The following users liked this post:
KNSBrakes (06-21-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 06:05 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi @delirium45 , I just caught on to your thread, appreciate all your posts!
I wanted to ask you how you've felt now in the long term with the Ohlins suspension on track?
I'm starting the process of going through all the options and have mostly narrowed it down to Ohlins R&T in the less expensive route, or MCS if I go higher-end.
For the short-term I don't need MCS, I don't have plans to compete with my 997 yet I'm still driving Solo DE's. I do about 8-10 DE's a year.
Do you think at your experience level you've already reached the limits of the Ohlins performance and should've just gone with a more competitive setup in hindsight?
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2023, 06:20 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rhern213
Hi @delirium45 , I just caught on to your thread, appreciate all your posts!
I wanted to ask you how you've felt now in the long term with the Ohlins suspension on track?
I'm starting the process of going through all the options and have mostly narrowed it down to Ohlins R&T in the less expensive route, or MCS if I go higher-end.
For the short-term I don't need MCS, I don't have plans to compete with my 997 yet I'm still driving Solo DE's. I do about 8-10 DE's a year.
Do you think at your experience level you've already reached the limits of the Ohlins performance and should've just gone with a more competitive setup in hindsight?
Thanks!
Hey, thanks for asking.
I just wrapped up a season here in Colorado with NASA and i have stepped up my game a bit.
Honestly, i think there is still a bunch of time i can eek out of the car with the Ohlins with the R&T setup... so YES, i do recommend it.
I am running 255F and 335R Hoosier R7's and i do get a little bit more body roll than i'd like due to the high grip levels of the tires, but it has allowed me to explore the dynamics of the car in a very predictable yet performant way.

I've been running in NASA TT and i've seen my times drop this year, but another very capable driver drove my car and was still 2 seconds faster... same setup, just driver. So, yes, they are very competitive.

Bottom line - The R&T are fantastic for DE's
Old 10-03-2023, 06:30 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Closing down the track at the end of the season with NASA Rocky Mountain @ High Plains Raceway ... Oct 1st, 2023
Packing up and stacking up.

Now to start the off season projects... waffling between selling the car or fully-committing and putting a cage plus pulling the interior/weight out.
SSMOKE-U (10-03-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:57 AM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by delirium45
Hey, thanks for asking.
I just wrapped up a season here in Colorado with NASA and i have stepped up my game a bit.
Honestly, i think there is still a bunch of time i can eek out of the car with the Ohlins with the R&T setup... so YES, i do recommend it.
I am running 255F and 335R Hoosier R7's and i do get a little bit more body roll than i'd like due to the high grip levels of the tires, but it has allowed me to explore the dynamics of the car in a very predictable yet performant way.

I've been running in NASA TT and i've seen my times drop this year, but another very capable driver drove my car and was still 2 seconds faster... same setup, just driver. So, yes, they are very competitive.

Bottom line - The R&T are fantastic for DE's
Thanks for the quick reply!
I was previously on Cup2, now on RE71-RS at OEM sizes.
For the past year I've been driving on OEM dampers with Techart springs, no other modifications except max neg.camber (-2'ish).
But I've definitely overstepped the limits of body roll as my outside wear is significantly more than my inside wear. I don't believe an extra 0.5-1 deg will help much plus OEM dampers at 50k miles are probably softening up a bit.
I appreciate the response as it makes me lean more towards the Ohlins and save the $$ for other things like LCA's/links and such. Also might save time and effort on the distraction of setting up MCS dampers properly.
Did you ask for custom spring rates when you ordered the Ohlins? Or you went with the out of the box rates (400-F 650-R) I believe?
Old 10-04-2023, 11:20 AM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rhern213
Did you ask for custom spring rates when you ordered the Ohlins? Or you went with the out of the box rates (400-F 650-R) I believe?
Out of the box currently.
I am going to look into whether or not the dampers need to be revalved for higher rates (i'm looking at GT3 rates, or higher for the Ohlins)
_____Carrera_____GT3____
Front 60 N/mm --> 90 N/mm
Rear 120 N/mm --> 140 N/mm

Last edited by delirium45; 10-04-2023 at 11:20 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-04-2023, 12:06 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Out of the box currently.
I am going to look into whether or not the dampers need to be revalved for higher rates (i'm looking at GT3 rates, or higher for the Ohlins)
_____Carrera_____GT3____
Front 60 N/mm --> 90 N/mm
Rear 120 N/mm --> 140 N/mm
Right, would need to ask then to just order the 997 GT3 spec instead of a Carrera spec. From your pictures it looks like Ohlins uses the same shock body for both cars but with a sleeve adapter on the Carrera. They do have different part #'s so not sure if the valving is different.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:13 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Yea, also keep in mind that the 997 C2S is very similar to the 996 GT3 ... so would be interesting to see part number & rate comparisons there as well.
Rhern213 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 11:16 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

So, now that i'm getting a little further into my 'off season' planning... i think i may be selling my Ohlins setup as i will be going for some bigger aero and need higher spring rates than what the R&T will be able to handle.
If anyone is interested in some 2-season Ohlins R&T (dampers, springs, rear upper mounts, spring top hats, and front camber plates), lemme know, i'll be posting it all for sale later this winter (probably in mid-late December)... scroll up earlier in this thread to see details about them. I'll be keeping the PASM cancelation bits though.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:14 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

So, now that i'm getting a little further into my 'off season' planning... i think i may be selling my Ohlins setup as i will be going for some bigger aero and need higher spring rates than what the R&T will be able to handle.
If anyone is interested in some 2-season Ohlins R&T (dampers, springs, rear upper mounts, spring top hats, and front camber plates), lemme know, i'll be posting it all for sale later this winter (probably in mid-late December)... scroll up earlier in this thread to see details about them. I'll be keeping the PASM cancelation bits though.
I'd give a call to Tarett and ask about Swift springs.

Not sure if they have a kit but they've been helpful with this for me in the past.

Valving- I'm not sure. They might point you to a set of MCS's.

--Aaron

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
Old 10-27-2023, 11:26 AM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

That is exactly the direction i was headed... swift springs on the R&T ... but with the aero i have planned it would be overwhelming for the valving... MCS is where i'm looking currently.

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I'd give a call to Tarett and ask about Swift springs.

Not sure if they have a kit but they've been helpful with this for me in the past.

Valving- I'm not sure. They might point you to a set of MCS's.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:48 PM
Rhern213
Rennlist Member

Hello, I'm interested if you're selling your Ohlins setup. Whenever you have some time if you wouldn't mind shooting me a PM with your thoughts/details?
Thanks!
-Rich
delirium45 (10-31-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:26 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

That is exactly the direction i was headed... swift springs on the R&T ... but with the aero i have planned it would be overwhelming for the valving... MCS is where i'm looking currently.
Check out 3dm motorsport. They can help you with ohlins valving and spring rates.
Old 11-06-2023, 12:48 PM
delirium45
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
Check out 3dm motorsport. They can help you with ohlins valving and spring rates.
Yup, this is where i was headed... although, the extra volume with the remote res on the MCS is nice too, for curb hopping... not that i should be there, but it happens plus my local shop is an MCS dealer and can rebuild them, so i don't have to ship stuff out for service. Appreciate the info guys, this is what makes this community more valuable !
Old 11-13-2023, 11:53 AM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 295 Likes on 138 Posts

I'd make sure you add a LSD in too,

I wish I did for my customer's 997.1 S I built.

Now I will be adding one this winter.

It's a handful on the edge without it!

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook

Quick Reply: Prepping for Track - 997.1 C2S