Notices

18 inch wheels on 3.2 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 18 inch wheels on 3.2 carrera

I have an 88 carrera and would like to put 18 inch speedlines on the car and properly lower it. What modifications need to be done to the chassis to assure the car handles correctly. I would like to run remote resevoir shocks. I assume a strut brace, and stiffer sway bars would help. Will the stock torsion bars work with these wheels, and what is the possibility of the chassis being damaged from the added rigidity. As you can tell I'm new at this. I drive the car on the street , I'm just giving it the C2 cup look with C2 bumpers and speedlines.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheels can be used with stock everything if the wheels are bought with the right offset. As far as suspension mods remote resevoir shocks are an overkill for your application. They are intended for race cars not street cars, and the cost is too high. I suggest go with bilstein HD or Sports depending on how you use your car and how stiff you want it. Change the torsion bars to 22 front 28 rear or use 21mm front if you want a softer ride. The 88 sway bars are just right for street use. This set is also good for DE and auto x unless your a club racer or use the car as a dedicated race car.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:25 AM
raceman77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, 18`s are pushing it for that car.They do look cool but you won`t be any faster then with 17`s because of the weight they add.They look cool though l have to say.Also it`s a REALLY tight fit with the 18`s and with some cars they just won`t work if you track the car,there`s just not enough room.As far as harming the car due to the added rigidity of the big low profile tires l think your bigger problem would be the coilover conversion-the car`s not designed for it-stick with upgraded torsion bars (21/27,22/29 works well for most.Dial out any push with adjustable sway bars,lots of choices out there.There`s sooo much info on how to set up the suspension on these cars..do a search on it and it`ll all come to you.Best of luck with it..

Quick Reply: 18 inch wheels on 3.2 carrera