Notices

Performance Potential for 993 C2 or C4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NISL

Check out Protomotive. There is a guy on the 964 board that has one of their Stage 4 kits!!

Note that you have different solutions for OBDI cars (early) and OBDII (later).

http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/descr.htm

Forget about much more than 400hp NA - the car will not be very driveable.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:53 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by NISL
OK thanks guys
The Twin Turbo model is still a bit out of my price range (cheapest I've found is $60k). Perhaps I'll get a C2 or C4, have some stock fun, get used to the way p-cars track and then after I pay my house off I will have access to the kind of money needed to throw into a 993tt project.
To properly built a TT engine will cost you anyway around 25-30 grand! So really dont think that you are not going to spend 60 grand at the end of the day... Porsche engines and parts are NOT cheap! A 3.8 TT 700hp monster I bet will cost ya over 40G's...
Buy a TT and then play on afterwards to reach your goals. Besides the TT will always be a TT for resale value, furthermore the big reds are there already, the engine is a turbo engine, the 18" wheels are there etc. The N/A engine compression will not handle stock turbos, there is a relatively "cheap" bolt on supercharger package for 7.5K but you are looking at around 400HP at the most.
I have already spend close to 30K on my car for suspension, wheels, a 3.8 engine and other mods so trust me... It is NOT cheap.
If you want these big numbers better stick to something american or prepare to have deep pockets....

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2004, 12:38 PM
NISL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by DJF1
To properly built a TT engine will cost you anyway around 25-30 grand! So really dont think that you are not going to spend 60 grand at the end of the day... Porsche engines and parts are NOT cheap! A 3.8 TT 700hp monster I bet will cost ya over 40G's...
Buy a TT and then play on afterwards to reach your goals. Besides the TT will always be a TT for resale value, furthermore the big reds are there already, the engine is a turbo engine, the 18" wheels are there etc. The N/A engine compression will not handle stock turbos, there is a relatively "cheap" bolt on supercharger package for 7.5K but you are looking at around 400HP at the most.
I have already spend close to 30K on my car for suspension, wheels, a 3.8 engine and other mods so trust me... It is NOT cheap.
If you want these big numbers better stick to something american or prepare to have deep pockets....

Good luck!
Did you do most of the work yourself? Or did labor costs factor into those figures?
I had a pretty good idea that p-cars parts were going to be laughably expensive, but it is my dream car, even if I end up not getting the power figures I desire I will still be happy driving my dream car.

One thing my friend did mention is that we have access to his machine shop, we might be able to just replicate the parts for a fraction of thier bloated market price. And who knows, maybe offer some parts to other p-car owners without the price jacking. (shrugs) I've watched this guy do some pretty amazing things.. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make a big hp turbo carrera that could be fixed at any Autozone.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:43 PM
NISL
Track Day

Originally posted by Christer
NISL

Check out Protomotive. There is a guy on the 964 board that has one of their Stage 4 kits!!

Note that you have different solutions for OBDI cars (early) and OBDII (later).

http://www.geocities.com/protomotive/descr.htm

Forget about much more than 400hp NA - the car will not be very driveable.

Reading now....
Old 02-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Alessandro
6th Gear

NISL

Check out CMW Racing (Bob Cousimano) in Santa Fe Springs. Amongst other things squeezed out 700bhp from a 3.8 engine conversion using as a starting point a 1989 964 C4 belonging to a very wealthy individual with too much money to throw at it, but who had grown very attached to it.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:16 PM
zffnhsn
Rennlist Member

If you are going to go with the atmospheric (normally aspirated) car make sure you buy the S model; wide turbo chassis & big brakes. I'll bet you'll have as much in the car as the factory TT, with 1/2 the resale value.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:04 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Randy
Hey pig4bill, have a hot cup of shut the f*** up would ya? Sanctimonious jerk.

Check the title of the forum, this isn't the polish your brake calipers with a toothbrush forum.....

Keep posting NISL, someone will eventually get you some solid info.
Blow it out your Flowmasters, moron.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

The 993 NA is pretty much what it can be already. You can't get a lot more out of it without putting a lot of money into it, and seriously challenging its longevity. If high horsepower is what you are after, I'd choose another platform. As many have said here, turbos are easy to kick up. Get an older turbo, if you want to save money, and you'll get more bang for the buck. Still better, get a 944 turbo. The 993 folks aren't snobs...it is just that from a 993 perspective (mine anyway) you are asking the wrong question. It isn't a 0-60 car, and its strengths (and desirablity for me) are its speed on the track, brakes, tossability durability and looks. I suppose it is POSSIBLE to get super high #s from a 993 NA. But you'll sacrifice somewhere.
Good luck in your decision.
Chuck
Old 02-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Lagavulin
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Performance Potential for 993 C2 or C4?

Originally posted by NISL
Do we have any members here putting down serious numbers with a naturally asperated 993? (500 - 700hp Street and Emissions Legal)
If you want that kind of horsepower out of a P-Car, it is relatively easy to do with an 928 S4; check the links in my sig. It is a great looking car when you put some kick-*** wheels on it.

The reason I'm here though is that I'm thinking about buying my Dad's mint 96 993, and wanted to see what other owners are saying about their car.

In the meantime though, I think the 993 is the best looking '911' ever, by far.

Last edited by Lagavulin; 02-25-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:14 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Danny's right; you can pay the money now or pay the money later. If you want big horsepower out of a 993, it's best to start with a TT that has all the go-fast, stop-well and live-long goodies. You can spend about the same money for an aftermarket turbo or supercharger kit, but, at the end of the day, it's always gonna be a mongrel. Now, a 993TT that's been breathed upon will be a greyhound that has had some training, and will have the legs to prove it.

If money is an issue now, why not just try to finance it over four or five years? Interest rates will only go up from here (sorry to sound like your mortgage refi company).
Old 02-26-2004, 03:49 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There are a few 993 TT owners who have reached 500-550hp pretty easily with basic bolt on mods (ECU, exhaust, hybrid turbos, etc). You can also add a LWF/clutch and regear your tranny. Add all this up with some weight reduction and you will have a beast.

Remember, even the stock 993TT will weigh considerably less than most high horsepower "muscle cars".
Old 02-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

NISL

A 3.8L NA 380-400 fwhp motor is good to 45 hours +/-
A 3.8L NA 420+/- fwhp is about max and that is a sprint motor. 3 or 4 races and pull the heads, possibly cyl kits.

The good news is that getting a 993 weight down to 2200-2400# with 380hp or so is 6.5# per hp.

A 500hp 996 GT2 car ($200K) will have a hard time running with the 993 configured this way.

HP is nice but if racing is in your future I would look at the light NA 993 with cams/ big valves... and have dependable fun.

Thats my take on power subject.

If you are looking for a 97 993 stock 3.6 to build up, I have your motor!
Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 PM
nman413
Drifting

As do I
Old 03-16-2004, 03:39 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Cheapest way to go fast...

(The following applies to all motorized vehicles, not just P Cars

1. Take a driving school
2. Lose weight (you and your car)
3. Take another driving shool...

Lather, rinse, and repeat as necessary...

Your mileage may vary...
Old 03-17-2004, 05:23 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

NISL-

First, I would look into what you want to do with the car. Porsche's like the N/A 993 are great road racing cars, and a 450 bhp N/A 993 on the track is a BEAST. Some of the guys in the modified classes in PCA can tell you how fast of a race car that is. A this point, you'd want to look harder into yoru suspension and gearing.

Another thing to consider is the $$$ involved in going into a 911 engine.

If you are getting into road racing, it's a great car to drive (really any 911, for that!)

Quick Reply: Performance Potential for 993 C2 or C4?