Notices

Performance Potential for 993 C2 or C4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 10:49 PM
NISL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Potential for 993 C2 or C4?

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase a 993 in the distant future and was wondering what the performance limits are for the C2 or C4. Do we have any members here putting down serious numbers with a naturally asperated 993? (500 - 700hp Street and Emissions Legal)

A friend of mine is a mechanic who used to work on Porsches for a living, so fabrication and modification are both free for me.. would it be possible to purchase an aftermarket turbo kit and adapt it onto a C4? (along with a 993 turbo gfx kit to house the large intercooler)

I'm sure a lot of headache would be taken care of by just purchasing a TwinTurbo and start modding from there.. but for the price of a really nice 993TT I think I could pretty much have "The ultimate C4" that would destroy a stock TT.

I'm trying to learn the ropes here so please bear with me.
I'm coming from a "Domestic Hot Rodding" background.. so this is all a bit Forein to me. Pardon the pun. Do you guys not have shops you can just order a complete 700hp twin turbo 3.8 crate motor with computer and slip it into your rides over the weekend?

Any helpfull suggestions.. or links to shops that are heavily modifying 993's would be appreciated.

Nate

Last edited by NISL; 02-07-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:43 PM
NISL
Track Day

to all you 21+ viewers.
It's ok, you can post.. really.
Tell me I'm up in the night, or it's impossible, or a damn good idea! and here area few custom tuners you should talk to!

It's just a keyboard.. it doesn't bite.

oh and lets take it down a notch.. how about just 450 to 500hp on a naturally asperated motor.

Anyone..
Anyone....
Bueler....
Bueler.....
Fry.....
Fry.....
Fry......
(fade out)
Old 02-08-2004, 07:13 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a 3.8 NA upgrade, "only" 450 though: http://www.9mracing.co.uk/html/modul...ory=&parentid=
Old 02-08-2004, 07:45 PM
NISL
Track Day

Originally posted by forklift
Here is a 3.8 NA upgrade, "only" 450 though: http://www.9mracing.co.uk/html/modul...ory=&parentid=
Thanks for the lead.
I'm just starting to explore this world and was wondering what was possible.. and what was not.

I've seen some pretty serious looking machines in the Turbo forum (in excess of 700hp) but I was just curious what could be done with a NA motor.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:13 PM
NISL
Track Day

I guess first I need to get out of my large displacement V8 mentality.. 400-450hp is quite a bit out of such a small engine, I've dealt with 7.0+liter engines that didn't make that much.

Do any of the sponsors here make a stand alone programable Fuel Management System for people building up porsche engines?
Old 02-08-2004, 10:46 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact one of the two below. There are others out there, but I've only worked with Stephan and Steve. Others will vouch for them.

A lot of times it's cheaper to buy what you want to build, but with your buddy helping, you might be in a better position.

http://www.imagineauto.com/index2.htm (Stephan Kasper)

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/~porsche/2a.html (Steve Weiner)

Also there is Supercharging of Knoxville. No personal knowledge. Just seen their ads in Panos and Excellence.

I'm getting 345 HP at the rear wheels with just bolt on parts on a 3.3 turbo motor. More is to be had with internal engine mods, ignition and fuel systems. Lots more.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:16 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking most people think you should just stick to Camaros and Mustangs.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:18 PM
NISL
Track Day

Originally posted by pig4bill
I'm thinking most people think you should just stick to Camaros and Mustangs.
LoL, yeah it's unfortunate some people have to be so closed minded (or snooty ).

Sounds like you need a few more "Do it yourself'ers" in this joint.

We're all car enthusiests, it shouldn't matter where we got our start.

Last edited by NISL; 02-09-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Randy
Instructor

Hey pig4bill, have a hot cup of shut the f*** up would ya? Sanctimonious jerk.

Check the title of the forum, this isn't the polish your brake calipers with a toothbrush forum.....

Keep posting NISL, someone will eventually get you some solid info.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:25 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Andial have been modifying Porsche engines for years. They modified a series of 964's for the failed US Porsche Cup years ago. Give them a call and let them know what you want to do. They can let you know if it's realistic given the budget that you have.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would ask why you want 600 hp out of a NA engine? Why the horsepower and why the NA engine? Porsche has been able to boost the NA engine to about 380 in the 996 GT3, I believe the 3.8 993 RS was more like 320 hp. On a race track, the RS is an awesome car that is difficult to beat. They are not so impressive at a drag strip, but they are not designed for that purpose. (Which is why I ask why you want the hp.)

If you truely need and want 600 hp, it would seem that it is not realistic from a NA car (and most likely not cost effective). I'd start with a 993tt. It can get to 600 hp. In any case trying to get that much hp out of the engine, and expecting the engine and transmission to survive, requires some significant and not inexpensive modifications.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:23 PM
NISL
Track Day

At this point I'm just trying to get a feel for the potential of each model. This is still the planning phase. I'd love to have a 993tt but was curious what could be done with a NA Carrera that is half the price.

If going the NA route wasn't realistic then my next preferance would be to turbo a C2 or C4, and if that proved unrealistic then yes, I would just step up to the big boy, the 993tt.

As for why I need the power.. I guess you will just have to take that up with Freud.

Has anyone here turbocharged a Carerra?
Is it like the rest of the racing world, a bigger single turbo gives you more power than two small twin snails?
(I don't even know if that's possible, I'm still trying to dig up diagrams of both the NA and TT motors.)
Old 02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Do searches on the 993TT and 993 forums much more info
and much more active. There are several poeple who have
turbo's NA cars sinfulsteve and corte loco come to mind adn there
is an active thread on supercahrging a NA 993. Still the only
way to get your numbers is the 993TT and its cheaper than
turbo'ing a NA car probably then you chip it extra cooler
bigger turbos and you're in the 500-600 range. there are
some advertisers in excellence and others that claim
700hp and up in the box for the 993TT but I cant recall them
off the top of my head and the longevity of such and engine
would be an issue. Search on those 2 forums. If you want a monster
its probably gonna be a 993TT.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One big turbo will give you lots of power, but with no bottom end and the lag will be a bitch.

Two smaller one will have less leg, but possilby have less top end.

Hope that's right...
Old 02-12-2004, 04:17 PM
NISL
Track Day

OK thanks guys
The Twin Turbo model is still a bit out of my price range (cheapest I've found is $60k). Perhaps I'll get a C2 or C4, have some stock fun, get used to the way p-cars track and then after I pay my house off I will have access to the kind of money needed to throw into a 993tt project.

Quick Reply: Performance Potential for 993 C2 or C4?