Notices

Q on poly bushing for trailing links 996?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:45 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Q on poly bushing for trailing links 996?

I ordered a set of these figuring that the manufacturer knew what he was doing. After inspection, I see that they had replaced the OEM spherical bearing with a solid poly bushing. The problem as I see it is that it's freedom of movement is in the wrong plane. In the OEM fittment, the thru bolt is oriented vertically and the trailing arm then moves up/down freely thru a spherical bearing. The poly design seems appropriate for fore/aft movement; however the trailing arm does not move fore/aft; it moves up/down. This causes the suspension to bind significantly when in full droop. I'd estimate that it took about 50# pressure to move the trailing arm into 2" droop. It seems to me that this design would take away from your available traction and perhaps even encourage tire lift. I note that several reputable Porsche specific vendors list these types of bushing kits for these suspension... am I missing something here?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

you dont want any pressure in the up and down motion. Those are designed to inhibit the control arm from moving forward or back. The only thing you want putting pressure on the vertical movement is the spring and that is controlled by the shock as to the rate of movement. This is not designed to dampen the motion of the unit in anyway. Bad application for a delrin setup. Mono ball much better.

Quick Reply: Q on poly bushing for trailing links 996?