Notices

what shocks to use with H&R springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003 | 03:33 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Default what shocks to use with H&R springs?

i just put a set of H&R springs on my 2001 996 C4 and i'm wondering what the correct shocks are to use with these? i think it's the bilstein sport shocks, but i'm not 100% sure. here's how it looks:
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2003 | 03:22 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi:

I would use the Bilstein HD shocks & struts with those springs.

Bilstein does not make a sport shock for these cars; the PSS-9's fills that bill,.....
Old 11-25-2003 | 09:51 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

thanks steve. i was thinking of koni, they make a sport shock, but i'll go for the bilstein heavy duty. will this make a substantial difference in the stiffness of the suspension? will it help with bottoming out?

another question:
is it normal for springs to have to settle in or shift in their mounts in the first few hundred miles? last night i heard a loud sound from the right rear wheel area as i rolled through a gas station. it sounded like the spring shifted in its mount. i checked out the wheel area and everything looked fine and the car drove fine.
Old 11-25-2003 | 01:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

IMHO, the Bilsteins are far superior to the Koni's. We will no longer sell nor install those.

Between the H&R's and the Bilstein, you will like the changes. Bottoming should NOT be a problem unless the ride height is set too low.

If the springs were not installed correctly, they can shift and move in the spring seats.

Quick Reply: what shocks to use with H&R springs?