Notices
Parts Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell new & used Porsche parts.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

996 997 engine skid / protection plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 997 engine skid / protection plate

Category: Accessories
Price (no $ sign please): $100
Private or Vendor Listing: Private Listing
Part fits (select ONLY those which apply): 996, 997
Location (Region): Midwestern
Item Condition: Used

Came across this while cleaning out the garage, minimal wear. I'll try to grab some pics tonight.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...y_Code=996main
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

boing
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

I might be interested... can you post up a top and bottom pic...
Does this use the existing hardware on the bottom of the motor or does it have its own hardware?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:24 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Unregistered
I might be interested... can you post up a top and bottom pic...
Does this use the existing hardware on the bottom of the motor or does it have its own hardware?
Uses exiting bolts for the hard pipes that go around the oil pan. I'll try to snap some tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 AM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll take it. msg me
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

2nd
Old 07-09-2014, 03:33 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The unregistered guy last night at 7:50pm was me... do the two guys that posted up since then trump me in line?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Here are a couple pictures of this item installed on my car so you guys know what it looks like. I've enlarged the hole for the drain-plug so that it's compatible with the Fumoto Drain Valve I have installed for quick & easy oil changes. It attaches with the existing hardware that holds the clamps for the metal oil lines that run around the oil pan.
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 AM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn that looks good... and I could really use it... my new 996 sits soooooooo damn low!
Come on HALIK... I am local and have cash in hand... Naperville-Ohare area!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:16 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Here are a couple pictures of this item installed on my car so you guys know what it looks like. I've enlarged the hole for the drain-plug so that it's compatible with the Fumoto Drain Valve I have installed for quick & easy oil changes. It attaches with the existing hardware that holds the clamps for the metal oil lines that run around the oil pan.
Petza914

I have a few questions for you...

1. I was able to order a Fumoto drain valve (F-104, 18 mm/1.5 thread) for my 07 C2S. Do I also have to enlarge the hole? According to their website, it's the exact fit for my Carrera.

2. How far does the Fumoto valve stick out?

3. Do I need a skid plate or will I be okay with just leaving the valve exposed? My C2S is at stock ride height (USA).
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I'm actually removing my Fumoto valve and replacing it with the LN Engineering Magnetic Drain plug. Although it's incredibly convenient and has worked perfectly, it just protrudes down too far for my comfort level where running over anything unavoidable (tire gator, roadkill, etc) could snap it off causing all the oil to leak out of the engine all over the highway.

But to answer your specific questions, there are a couple things you should do if moving forward with the install - yes, you will need to enlarge the hole in the Porsche skid plate in order to be able to actuate the lever on the drain valve. The drain in the oil pan also has a cutout on one edge to allow oil to drain out until the pan is empty, even though there are a 1/2" or so of threads in the pan for the drain plug to thread into. If you install the drain valve as is, you will always leave about 1/2" of oil in the oil pan at every oil change as there's no way for it to get through the drain valve threads. What I did with mine was take a light and look into the oil pan once the oil has drained out to find the slot in the threads and mark that position on the outside of the oil pan, then install the drain valve to the recommended torque, then mark the position on the drain valve that lines up with the mark you made on the oil pan, remove the drain plug and using a Dremel tool or metal cut-off wheel on an air sander, cut a groove through the threads of the drain valve so more oil can still get out through the slot in the pan and the slot in the valve.

Also, the OEM skid plate is not very good - it's just a thin pieces of aluminum. I've since installed a MantisSport 2L Deep sump for additional oil capacity and the Deep Sump skid plate from LN Engineering which is a substantial piece that might actually save the oil pan / deep sump if you run over something - I don't really think the OEM skid plate will do much. Even with the thicker skid plate, the drain valve still extends too far for my comfort.

Here are some pics and hope the above is helpful. First pic shows a good angle of how far down the Fumoto valve projects.

MantisSport 2L Deep Sump with Fumoto Drain Valve

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Petza914

I have a few questions for you...

1. I was able to order a Fumoto drain valve (F-104, 18 mm/1.5 thread) for my 07 C2S. Do I also have to enlarge the hole? According to their website, it's the exact fit for my Carrera.

2. How far does the Fumoto valve stick out?

3. Do I need a skid plate or will I be okay with just leaving the valve exposed? My C2S is at stock ride height (USA).

Quick Reply: 996 997 engine skid / protection plate