e-hybrid e-Range

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default e-hybrid e-Range

Hi gang-

I just picked up my 2015 e-hybrid with 19k miles CPO. From what I have read, I should be *displaying* about 20 miles of electric range at full charge, and expect about 60% of that in real life (since their algorithm for determining range doesn't match real life in most applications)

When I charge my battery I start out at 10 or maybe 11 miles displayed as possible, and then get half of that in real life.

What are other owners experiencing?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:29 PM
atwong1
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine varies a lot daily. 21 on one day, 12 another, and one time there was only 7. 14 is about average, and true.

Last edited by atwong1; 05-22-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:07 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Well I took mine in to have them look at it and I had made assumptions that were wrong. I was thinking that the range shown on the gauge would be "best case" (and then you discount it from there based on the kind of driving you do-using your own intelligence). I should have known better. The e-range displayed is based on historical info just like the transmission control program. If you haven't stretched your legs on the highway and just run around town, your potential (displayed) range will be shorter, even with the battery in exactly the same state of charge.

I should have known better than to try to outsmart the car. After I found that out, I did start pushing it by going all electric on the highway. The only thing I don't like about that is the idea that at 80 mph, with the battery getting low, your "cold" combustion engine kicks in. It does so seamlessly and you just marvel at the engineering. But can this be good for the engine? I have another thread about this, and of course, since it's a Panamera board, there are 2 people on it versus the 200 on 911, and the discussions aren't generally "technical" in nature.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

The Panamera SeH is designed to start and stop the motor repeatedly. If you cruise in hybrid mode, the car tends to run the gas engine for about 10-15 minutes, turn it off and either coast or run electric, and then go back. Compared to that, the initial transition from electric to gas is no big deal.

That it's doing so at 80 MPH is irrelevant. What matters is the matching speed at the transmission, which is going to be around 2000 RPM whether you're doing it at 80 MPH or 20 MPH.

Spinning the engine up to speed does not stress the engine. It is, after all, designed to spin at up to 6500 RPM, so that initial low speed is nothing.

In a conventional car, you'd be stressing the starter, which is a tiny, tiny electric motor. In this car, you don't have a starter, you have a great big electric motor that's designed to push the entire car. That is what spins the engine up to speed, and it's almost no effort at all, since overcoming the inertia of the engine requires only a fraction of its power output.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
The Panamera SeH is designed to start and stop the motor repeatedly. If you cruise in hybrid mode, the car tends to run the gas engine for about 10-15 minutes, turn it off and either coast or run electric, and then go back. Compared to that, the initial transition from electric to gas is no big deal.

That it's doing so at 80 MPH is irrelevant. What matters is the matching speed at the transmission, which is going to be around 2000 RPM whether you're doing it at 80 MPH or 20 MPH.

Spinning the engine up to speed does not stress the engine. It is, after all, designed to spin at up to 6500 RPM, so that initial low speed is nothing.

In a conventional car, you'd be stressing the starter, which is a tiny, tiny electric motor. In this car, you don't have a starter, you have a great big electric motor that's designed to push the entire car. That is what spins the engine up to speed, and it's almost no effort at all, since overcoming the inertia of the engine requires only a fraction of its power output.
I hear you but you are going from, say, a cold engine temp of 45 degrees and spinning it up to power the car down the highway at high speed in basically less than a second. That sure is different from the days of "give the engine a chance for lubrication to flow before driving off"

You can't help but wonder what you are doing to the combustion engine. I had some salesman tell me that Porsche cylinders are "pre-lubed", which seems just plain stupid. Not only do I know how machines work, but I lost my Cayenne to Porsche's cylinder wall treatment defect ib the 2000's. Ignorance is bliss, but I don't really want to go that route with such a huge investment.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:58 AM
nvarga
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen that in any of the cases you refer to - that could damage engine, SeH does this - it starts ICE and leaves it running at idle (1.000rpm) for a minute or two and doesn't use it to drive the car. ICE is running but you drive on electro engine solely.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:09 AM
atwong1
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 97 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
In this car, you don't have a starter, you have a great big electric motor that's designed to push the entire car. That is what spins the engine up to speed, and it's almost no effort at all, since overcoming the inertia of the engine requires only a fraction of its power output.
Gus, I may be wrong, but I saw this on PET, and I553 means US model. Just want to share with you what I see here, but I have not opened up the car to look for it yet.

e-Hybrid has a starter?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 AM
K777
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

r
Originally Posted by nvarga
I've seen that in any of the cases you refer to - that could damage engine, SeH does this - it starts ICE and leaves it running at idle (1.000rpm) for a minute or two and doesn't use it to drive the car. ICE is running but you drive on electro engine solely.
^^^ This is how it woks.
Actually its much more noticeable in my 4 E hybrid, than it was in my S E hybrid.

OP - theres a lot of info in the Hybrid thread, although theres so many pages, its virtually impossible to find anything in there now.
What you will find is that your range alters, in a similar way that it would if using an ICE engine range - the harder you drive, the colder it is , etc, the range will drop. In my old S Ehybrid, I rarely achieved 22 miles, only in the summer and only when cruising steadily on a relatively flat motorway. The cold hits the battery hard. In winter in UK it halved the range on average.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

21 at full charge most of the time, the last few days has been 23. In E-power mode, I can get 100% of the calculated range but I live in the hills so I am not surprised if I get less because I need a little more juice. Morning school run is 21 miles and on Monday I only hit Hybrid mode pulling into my driveway

Old 04-11-2019, 01:32 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ATWONG1,
I can only see 12 miles on my 2016 pan hybrid now with 60F temperature in SF bay area. January, I could only see 11 miles and dropped off quickly to 9 around the parking lot structure.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Lodo1000
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to me 2016 with 13k mikes and I haven’t been able to get more that 12 miles after a full charge. Have not done a lot of driving yet and no real highway use. Hope to see this get up to 20 or so.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:24 PM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodo1000
New to me 2016 with 13k mikes and I haven’t been able to get more that 12 miles after a full charge. Have not done a lot of driving yet and no real highway use. Hope to see this get up to 20 or so.
yes, 12 miles indeed !!! More e-miles, i may have to consider tesla. LOL ...

Quick Reply: e-hybrid e-Range