Panamera 2010-Current

2018 Panamera Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:59 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 Panamera Window Tint

Hi guys, I just ordered my 2018 Panamera 4s two weeks ago and didn't know whether to add Thermally & Noise Insulated Glass. After reading comments about it, I decided to add it. The dealer told me that I need to wait two additional months if I want to add it. He suggested that I get my window tinted at the dealer. They can tint the window together with the sunroof for $1000+. Should I reorder my car and wait or should I just get the window tinted with clear 3m film? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:24 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 678 Likes on 372 Posts

That is the most expensive tint job I have ever heard. Don't get the windows and then drive quickly away from that dealer and get your windows tinted.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the thermal/noise glass. But I don't know if I'd wait 2 extra months for it (I might). I don't see why that would hold up the order.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:43 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Dealer said "Every time we make changes to an order, it moves back to the back of the line. Thus the delay." I'm not sure whether he's bull****ing me or not as this is my first Porsche.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:34 AM
TAG ceo
Advanced

I didn't use any special film, but getting them tinted in my 2 previous panamera's cost me $250 from a very reputable local shop that has done alot of cars for me. So the $1000 sounds high, but if they are using some sort of special film who knows. The tint won't do anything for noise reduction, obviously it will help a little with reducing cabin temp in the hot sun.
I look at it this way, you're spending a lot of money, if not having it from the factory is going to make you have regrets then wait, at least you got the car exactly the way you wanted it.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:42 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crack3rd
Dealer said "Every time we make changes to an order, it moves back to the back of the line. Thus the delay." I'm not sure whether he's bull****ing me or not as this is my first Porsche.
You are dealing with class A bull**** artist. If the car is open for changes there is no moving to the back of the line smh. If the vehicle is open for changes - it is open for changes. When the vehicle locks - the build locks- there is defiantly not a case of your vehicle being shifted in planned production.

BS artist at their finest.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
Jonathan Lord
Racer

I agree - as long as the car isn't fixed then all sorts of things can change without impacting build dates

I would add it - I have it on my new 2017 Panamera Turbo and think it is a valuable add - both from tint and "peaceful drive" when you want it. Open up the Sport setting and sports exhaust and you hear everything that you want to hear. .

J
Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

I have thermal/noise insulated glass on my turbo. Its is great for cabin tranquility.

Window tinting is not the same as the factory thermal/noise option.

Get the optional themal/noise glass then get the windows tinted at an aftermarket tinting Co.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:15 PM
AJRDU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
I have thermal/noise insulated glass on my turbo. Its is great for cabin tranquility.

Window tinting is not the same as the factory thermal/noise option.

Get the optional themal/noise glass then get the windows tinted at an aftermarket tinting Co.
I completely agree. I have the insulated glass on my 4S but drove a turbo without. You can tell the difference.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 AM
crack3rd
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJRDU
I completely agree. I have the insulated glass on my 4S but drove a turbo without. You can tell the difference.
Thanks for the advice guys! I will go ahead and change it!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 AM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have it on my 2015 4S and highly recommend it. The sun will not heat as much and left arm and hands will not be affected by UV. Be aware that the glass looks totally transparent, colorless, this surprised me, not bad, just different to all.

I have cars that have after market thermal film, I can tell because of imperfections in installation and even though it is clear, does in fact tint a bit the window. Good luck and post pics when the car arrives!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM
PMPN8EZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

$1000+ TO TINT WINDOWS? WTF? LOL. Run fast.

CowboyRoy is right...I have scratches in my window, you MUST take the door panel off and put felt or moleskin whatever metal rails in the door scratch the hell out of tint. Someone here posted a YouTube video they took the door panel off in 1 minute. So it's not hard.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 AM
PMPN8EZ
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes he did state sunroof too. Tinting windows on a Panny is no different than tinting any other car. If you want the sunroof included (pointless) it shouldn't even cost you $500. My guy has some special film that blocks heat (where as regular tint just keeps it dark in the car and the sun from beaming on you) and that stuff I was quoted $350 to tint my Panny. $1K is flat out ridiculous. But people also pay dealers $2500 to replace brake pads so hey, if it makes you feel better. I take my cars to the dealer for anything critical (including oil changes) but brakes and tint...anyone can do that. My 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 PM
crack3rd
Advanced

Thanks guys! I decided to order from the factory.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PMPN8EZ
$1000+ TO TINT WINDOWS? WTF? LOL. Run fast.

CowboyRoy is right...I have scratches in my window, you MUST take the door panel off and put felt or moleskin whatever metal rails in the door scratch the hell out of tint. Someone here posted a YouTube video they took the door panel off in 1 minute. So it's not hard.

This is true. I think these people who don't have a clue about the special issues will learn the hard way. They have not done any research.

Getting tint on the Panamera to last without scratches is rare indeed and any reasonable attempt to research this will bear it out. As an owner, I wish it were not true, bit it's a fact.

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera Window Tint