Panamera 2010-Current

e-Hybrid Engine Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:58 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default e-Hybrid Engine Lubrication

I am amazed at the engineering of this vehicle. One thing that you CAN do, and I did because I wanted to test capability, is to run around town on electric power, then get on the highway and go 80mph, run out of electrons, and watch the engine start itself and continue on seamlessly. I knew it had to be able to. And it did. Seamlessly. WOW.

The issue here is that you are taking a cold engine and making it take over in a tiny period of time. I am guessing that the algorithm requires a good burst of battery power while the engine starts and gets up to speed. And it's probably the reason for the extra gear on hybrids so that the engine doesn't need to spin up that much

What I am wondering though is what steps is the system taking to get expeditious lubrication. Does the system start pumping oil through the engine in anticipation of this? Or maybe the engine is so bulletproof that it doesn't matter(?). On a normal Panamera, you have a couple of places to see oil pressure. On the e-Hybrid, I don't see a way to bring that up. It's replaced by other info on the LH gauge and the MFD.

Last edited by HD2pct; 02-13-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:28 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any Porsche tech or person familiar with this technology want to weigh in? This question would have to be one of interest by potential buyers going forward. The so-called "purists" that hang out on the other forums have no idea that this is the technology of the future. Whoops, I mean of TODAY- as the supercars being developed by Porsche, Ferrari, and several others are hybrids.

Quick Reply: e-Hybrid Engine Lubrication