Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Hybrid 700HP Panamera Could Stack Porsche's Deck

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Rennlist Editor
Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hybrid 700HP Panamera Could Stack Porsche's Deck

Rumor has it that 550-horsepower is just the beginning for the new Porsche Panamera.

Read the rest on the Rennlist homepage. >>
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM
sbriscoe
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 918 hybrid technology in Panamera

If this is the path that Porsche is going, I think it would be great, but the weight penalty in the 918 was such that it required lots of carbon fiber, so a lighter weight solution would require less reliance on battery packs. New battery technology going on at MIT and many other places produces quicker charge times and longer lasting batteries.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:50 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Let’s do not forget that Porsche started with the 919 to use “secondary turbos” (in the exhaust lines, after the “primary turbos” that produce air pressure to feed the engine), and these secondary “turbos” that runs from the “residual” exhaust pressure, do not produce air pressure, but turns electric generators, ..that refills the batteries !
This is a fabulous concept, as this can **VERY** seriously increase the ratio of efficiency of the engine, for "free" !!!
I think this was created by Mr. Alexander Hitzinger, who started the 919 project, including the V4 multi-turbo engine, all from a white page !

So, I can only simply imagine that Porsche will not keep this incredible concept only for the racing cars.
It makes to much good sense to use it for daily cars too !
Why wasting the energy in the exhaust pipes ?
..When you can use it to refill the batteries, this, in addition for an hybrid car that also refills batteries when braking !

With such concept, I'm not so surprised that you can raise the power of the electric motors, getting a lot more “free electric power”, or, ..less pollution !

I would also take this opportunity to mention that I foresee such high performance hybrid architecture as probably being the best solution to completely remove the "turbo lag", as having energy in the batteries to be present and immediately available in "low rpm" situations (i.e.: when the combustion engine is "idling") and when high power electric motors are at the BEST to produce an "infinite" torque, seems to my eyes to be ..just a perfect match !
Well, ..time will tell !

Time will tell if such “Super Panamera” will be using such incredible concept !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-09-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Hybrid 700HP Panamera Could Stack Porsche's Deck