Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 AM
NewTurboMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera Reliability

Have owned my Panamera a total of 1300 miles so far (2011 CPO Car with 22k miles on it) and have a laundry list of issues; rear window one touch up does not work, phone connection not working at all and displays "telephone function not available", rearview mirror LCD delaminating, radio presets disappear randomly, tire pressure alert that I need to add air to front right tire, yet when checking pressure both in car display as well as with gauge there is no problem, map screen in dash display just shows "Loading" constantly and after only 1300 miles oil is at minimum level.

Nothing by itself is much of a big deal, but together this is more issues than I had on my past 3 cars combined.

Took it to the dealer and they had it for the week and all issues were supposedly resolved including replacing the rear view mirror, updating the PCM software (I only bought the car a month ago CPO'd shouldn't this have been done already?), replacing the front wheel bearings (only 23k on the car) and replacing the power window switches.

When I go to pick it up the first thing I do is check the power windows and the entire assembly is not connected firmly to the door panel and moves around when you use the switches now... Still at the dealer.

In addition they tell me they recommend an alignment as the tires are wearing unevenly. I only put 1k miles on this car since I bought it CPO. No way anything I did caused this car to be out of alignment and cause tire wear in 1k miles. Either the alignment was already off or the tires on the car were already worn unevenly.

Not impressed at all with Porsche, the CPO process or the Panamera reliability.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Not been paranoid, but in such a case, I would run through an expert and make a deep check, to know if the car went into an accident or problem, i.e.: hit a curb, or anything that touched the frame !
Do you know who bought the car originaly (in the papers, etc..) ?
Who is the dealer that maintained it ?
Was it driven hard, i.e.: get the number of Launch Control, how many in the ecu memory ? (this is the reading of the cpo check)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 PM
NewTurboMan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Not been paranoid, but in such a case, I would run through an expert and make a deep check, to know if the car went into an accident or problem, i.e.: hit a curb, or anything that touched the frame !
Do you know who bought the car originaly (in the papers, etc..) ?
Who is the dealer that maintained it ?
Was it driven hard, i.e.: get the number of Launch Control, how many in the ecu memory ? (this is the reading of the cpo check)
Good thoughts. Bought and maintained at the same dealer I bought it from and single owner car with clean CarFax. No Sport Chrono, so no Launch Control.

Will be taking it to a new dealer shortly for wheel alignment and to have Sport Plus added (including Launch Control) and will have them check it over.

I suspect that the cars alignment is fine as the wheels and tires were switched from another vehicle on to mine prior to the sale and the other car probably had an alignment problem. I don't think there is any way in roughly 1000 miles the tires would wear enough to show a poor alignment. Issue is dealer sold the car with uneven worn tires on it I think as a CPO.

Going to run all this past Porsche North America this week.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Do the wheels match the build sheet?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I thought the Sport Chrono was standard with Panamera Turbos. Or am I reading too much into your handle?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM
NewTurboMan
Intermediate

No wheels are not the same as build sheet. Dealer agreed to wheel upgrade as part of the purchase.

Yes my handle has "Turbo" but my Panamera does not . Handle is from older car I don't have now.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM
ace10
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I see.
I misread the bit about the dealer swapping tires/wheels. Thought you were suspicious that they had done so in an underhanded, or otherwise undisclosed, manner.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM
NewTurboMan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ace10
I see.
I misread the bit about the dealer swapping tires/wheels. Thought you were suspicious that they had done so in an underhanded, or otherwise undisclosed, manner.
Yup swapped wheels and tires at my request, but suspect tires had uneven wear that they didn't check.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 AM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have trouble relating to the reliability issues I've read here. My P4S has 31,000+ miles on it and has been very reliable with the only warranted issue being a battery early death. Just had the latest oil change done, had an analysis done on a 6400 mile run with 1 quart added. The results came back with a very outstanding wear pattern developed and a prognosis for a long life.
The only issue I have has to do with Hyundai's wanting to play boy racer with me, particularly on the NJ Garden State Parkway ....occasionally I have to blow one off so that my self image isn't damaged.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 AM
pmichaelis
Instructor

duplicated by accident......

Last edited by pmichaelis; 07-03-2014 at 01:00 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-02-2014, 11:13 PM
NewTurboMan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pmichaelis
I have trouble relating to the reliability issues I've read here. My P4S has 31,000+ miles on it and has been very reliable with the only warranted issue being a battery early death. Just had the latest oil change done, had an analysis done on a 6400 mile run with 1 quart added. The results came back with a very outstanding wear pattern developed and a prognosis for a long life.
The only issue I have has to do with Hyundai's wanting to play boy racer with me, particularly on the NJ Garden State Parkway ....occasionally I have to blow one off so that my self image isn't damaged.
I am sure there are reliable P4Ss, and probably many, I was just highlighting my experience in the couple of months I have owned one and compared it to other cars I have owned. Not sure what you mean by "an analysis done on a 6400 mile run", do you mean you had the oil analyzed to detect metallic particulates after only 6400 miles between the oil changes?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 AM
pmichaelis
Instructor

I have a full analysis done of the oil at each change, metal being a small part of the process. As for "only 6400 miles", I don't know how far you go between oil changes but my experience is that there are hot viscosity changes that can alter the designer's lubrication intentions........a place I don't want to go with an expensive engine.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:06 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

From my experience not just with Porsche it is many times more about the quality of the dealer than the car, or the brand. CPO's cars have many things that need to be checked. When I bought mine (from a Porsche dealer I have bought many cars from including non Porsche vehicles) my tires could have made the cut, but they changed them anyway. Whether the Bluetooth holds a signal is probably something that is not normally checked and perhaps the previous owner never complained about, the same could hold true of the radio stations. They should have caught the mirror and the window. though and if they mounted the wheels and tires well then they may have been done wrong. The Panamera is no lightweight and uneven tire wear from improper mount could easily show up after 1000 miles especially if the tires are summer high performance. I'd say the dealer is the real problem here.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bought my 2010 PTT 1 year ago with 30K miles. In the first 9 months replaced HPFP, front lower control arms, and a few other tiny items. All under CPO. I take this as the cost/benefit of having saved 1/2 of sticker, and as others have mentioned, once you sort out the common issues with this car it is a blast to drive.

Quick Reply: Panamera Reliability