Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Looking at 2013 PGTS, questions . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 AM
rbrenn
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Looking at 2013 PGTS, questions . . .

Been lurking around here coming to the conclusion that a Panny GTS would be the perfect car and that I'd probably order a 2014 that I'd spec. I recently stumbled on a "new" (never been registered) high spec 2013 GTS (early 2012 build) with almost 9k miles - I'm told this was a Porsche press car. While not exactly the build I'd order, it is close. So, I have a few big questions, and then some less critical ones.

1. Price aside, should I stay away from a "press car" with this kind of miles? I assume there's been some track time, perhaps a Porsche World Road Show car. If I do pursue, is there anything in particular I should watch out for?
2. Price: initial offer was about $21k or 14.6% off of sticker (about $5k under what I think is invoice). What is a reasonable discount for what is now essentially last year's model with almost 9k miles on it?
3. The steering wheel and shifter are wrapped in Alcantara. Nice touch, but will this look/feel like crap in a couple of years on these high wear surfaces?
4. Car does not have the Voice Control module. Can this be retrofitted? While I don't use this in my current car, I'd thought it would be useful in the PGTS since there are no controls on the steering wheel.
5. Car does not have rear wiper. I plan to use this as a 12 month daily driver in a snow area. How is rear visibility in the snow with no wiper? Am I correct that there is no easy way to retrofit this?
6. When building the 2014 PGTS online, there is no way to get both the GTS interior package and the Entry & Drive option which is important to me. Is this actually the case for 2014 or is the configurator incorrect? I ask because this car does have both which would be a plus if this were not available for 2014.

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the vocie control can b bought from suncoast for little more than the OEM tick the box cost - not sure what install is but gets it done
Old 06-16-2013, 11:01 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If the price is right, I'd say go for it....I just clocked 1900 miles on my '13 GTS, and dude, by a country mile, the best car I have ever owned/driven. In my experience, not one of the above questions would be a deal breaker to me (assuming price was correct).
Old 06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
rbrenn
Instructor

Thanks Cpa4s.
cole, been living vicariously through your posts! Yeah, it does come down to cost and the wait. Whether paying more to get a 2014 spec'd exactly the way you want or not. Also, was concerned about the potential for a beaten up car - although Porsche's are meant to be driven. May I ask what % off of sticker you paid your PGTS for? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I received around 4% off sticker, which seemed to be around the going rate. Curious, you mentioned what is "not" on the car, but what are the options it does have?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM
rbrenn
Instructor

It's fairly loaded: PDDC/PTV+, Burmeister, Adaptive Cruise, LCA, Soundproof glass, GTS interior, etc.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

well, you got the two main options IMHO PDCC, and LCA if you can live w/o wipers, and you are getting 20K+ off the car, I'd say it sounds like a super solid deal, especially if the car is CPO'd..... the '14 has some better hp, but the styling changes are questionable
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd stay away just because it was a press car... but that's me.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:27 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

The GTS is an amazing car, I use mine as a daily driver and it is phenomenal. As for the miles on the car, I wouldnt be too concerned if it was CPO'd. Certainly without that I wouldnt touch it. Anything that is considered a demo unit typically comes with an extra year or up to 100k miles as standard from Porsche, but I would see about getting the 6 years/100k mile coverage. That way if the price is right, then you can drive without fear. I was very lucky, mine was CPO'd with only 264 miles and 1 month of service! What color and wheel combo is it by the way, i didnt catch that? Let us know what you decide.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 AM
rbrenn
Instructor

Thanks cole, keith and disden. Keithos27, is there something in particular that would worry you, or just the general notion of a press car? How much of discount should this use reflect?

Since it's never been registered, I'll be getting the "full warranty" but they're willing to add miles/time to the warranty to make up for the miles driven. Does the CPO part of the warranty give you the same bumper-to-bumper coverage as the original warranty?

Disden, color is Dark Blue Metallic/GTS Silver interior with Sport Wheels in Black.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

CPO is not the same bumper-to-bumper. Some things are excluded. Ask the dealer. As for the configuration questions, ask a dealer. Seriously, a decent salesman will know these things or get the answers for you better than those of us who have older model cars and don't keep up with the new stuff.

I would suggest that if you intend to keep the car forever, you might want to avoid the press car, which has certainly been beat up a bit and likely wasn't properly broken-in. If you only intend to keep it through the warranty period, then it won't matter. 14% doesn't seem like a great discount for what is basically a used car with nearly a full year's worth of mileage.

Given the prices and if you have enough patience, I'd either find one on the lot that's more of what you want, or just order exactly what you want. You are spending a huge amount of money, and you shouldn't compromise. They need to be more generous in their discounts if they want to move that car. They're probably counting on someone with no patience who just has to have it now. Which is fine - that's how dealers make their money. We get excited and all rational thought goes out the window.

These are phenomenal cars; you will enjoy it whatever you end up doing.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrenn
Thanks cole, keith and disden. Keithos27, is there something in particular that would worry you, or just the general notion of a press car? How much of discount should this use reflect?

Since it's never been registered, I'll be getting the "full warranty" but they're willing to add miles/time to the warranty to make up for the miles driven. Does the CPO part of the warranty give you the same bumper-to-bumper coverage as the original warranty?

Disden, color is Dark Blue Metallic/GTS Silver interior with Sport Wheels in Black.
Hard to tell, but I imagine that press cars get driven by many different people at different press events. I wouldn't put it past people to test out launch control, get a little frisky with the car, etc. Bigger question is whether you plan on keeping the car out of warranty or not. If not, then probably not an issue. If yes, then I would be a bit cautious. Unfortunately, I don't know what sort of discount this should get you... but everything is negotiable.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

That's a great combo, I bet it looks killer! I agree that only 14% off sticker for a car that was likely driven pretty roughly isn't good enough. I just got 9% off new 991 cab with no miles, so keep pushing, I bet you can get more off. Also, my GTS has the rear wiper and I never use it, I forget I have it actually!

Quick Reply: Looking at 2013 PGTS, questions . . .