Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Aux BT and iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aux BT and iPhone

Ok..hopefully my last quirk of the car. The bluetooth "Phone" function works perfectly. However, the Bluetooth "Audio" function will not work (or works very sporadically). Even though there is perfect BT signal on the PCM, the AUX BT button will not come up, and I therefore cannot stream music. Obviously, I can still plsu the phone into the USB port (and it works great), but the streaming part was easy.

Dealer saying its a common iphone glitch, and not sure how to address. Anyone having similiar issue?

Cole
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

I have the same issue; sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. Since my phone is always out of juice I just plug my phone into the cord.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the reply Dis...I believe my dealer that it's an iphone quirk, but still annoying $130K and this basic function does not work...sheesh., my neighbor's Ford Fusion has some amazing technology in it
Old 05-18-2013, 10:52 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
thanks for the reply Dis...I believe my dealer that it's an iphone quirk, but still annoying $130K and this basic function does not work...sheesh., my neighbor's Ford Fusion has some amazing technology in it
Bet its not as fun to drive!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM
MPac00
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be that you've paired another BT device as well, such as a spouse's phone or work cell that connects or has higher priority than the one you are currently using?

I paired my iPhone with my wife's Lexus and it always takes priority over hers. Usually useful to me since I play my musical when we're both in the car. But when we take separate cars, and I get within 150 feet of her, my podcasts start playing in her car. Quite a surprise when taking two cars in stop and go freeway traffic.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmmm. I don't think my 2012 has BT streaming, so I'm a little bit jealous.

I will share this with you though: my previous phone, an HTC android, would sync with both the 2012 Pan and 2010 911, but would not load the phone book in the 911. It worked fine in the 2012. I asked a dealer mechanic about it, and he said I may need an update to the PCM for newer phones to work. Which makes sense... but I never had it done. Then I got a new Galaxy S4, which is the newest, latest and greatest phone, and it works fine on both cars, downloads the phonebook without issue. So you just don't know... I suspect that some manufacturers (both phones and cars) aren't following the BT standard quite as closely as they should, or it's a really loose standard.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 AM
TGED
Instructor

We have iPhone 4 and 4S, BT streaming for both phones work fine on 2011 Panamera 4 since day 1, with the original PCM software. So it should work on your 2012.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay on the "phone" menu or go into options when it first connects to BT when you start the car. It will ask somewhere if you want it as MP3 player. After that, you'll see it connecting AUX BT in blue at the bottom of the screen.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:54 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

I'm a little late to this party, but my understanding is that for PCM 3.1, iPod and AUX/BT will not work simultaneously. I can reproduce this on my Panamera. Plug in an iOS device and it shows up in PCM as iPod. But if I want to stream from another paired iOS device, I don't see the AUX/BT source as an option. Unplug the iPod and the AUX/BT source shows up. I would much prefer to be able to see both sources simultaneously, but I can't. Lame.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Is anyone else able to see a USB-connected iOS device (in PCM as iPod) and a paired A2DP device (in PCM as AUX/BT) simultaneously? I can see both, but not at the same time. If I want to use my iPhone to stream Pandora, for example, I first have to disconnect my USB-connected iPod.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 PM
TGED
Instructor

You probably have Porsche Car Connect. On my 2011 Panny, I can leave my iPod plugged in and simultaneously have AUX BT using my iPhone. On my 2013 Cayenne S, because it has Porsche Car Connect Aha App, the AUX BT would disappear when an iPod is plugged in. Since the Porsche Car Connect requires an plugged in iPhone to work, it will cut off AUX BT. The PCM probably does not distinguish between different i-devices, so AUX BT is not available even when an iPod is plugged in.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:57 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

I do have Porsche Car Connect, but I don't understand what that has to do with it? Car Connect does not appear as a source in PCM, so it is not taking up a slot. Also, Car Connect does not require an iPhone to be connected to the vehicle. Once you set it up, you manage it remotely over the air through the Car Connect servers and the cloud. If you're referring to Aha, yes, I have that as well, but Car Connect and Aha are not related in any way except that both require iOS apps to function. The one "excuse" I can imagine hearing from Porsche is that the PCM can only display 8 sources at once. But that is a ridiculous answer because if they were to slightly reduce the button sizes of each source, they could add more. Anyway, thanks for weighing in, but I'm afraid I don't really understand your answer.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 AM
ELMEL
Instructor

Sorry, now that I've re-read your answer, I have a feeling you're conflating Car Connect and Aha, which are two entirely different things. If I remove Car Connect from your response and just think of it as Aha, then I see what you're saying. I wonder if I remove the Aha app from my connected iPod if that would change anything. I don't want to do that, but it would be an interesting troubleshooting step.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
TGED
Instructor

My 2013 Cayenne S has the early version of Porsche Car Connect which has the AHA function and nothing else. And the AHA specs state that it does not work through BT, IOS devices must be plugged in (apparently Android phones can use BT for AHA), therefore, the moment you plug in an IOS device, the PCM cuts off BT. Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Are you saying Porsche contracted with Aha for Car Connect before they contracted with Cobra Telematics? On my car, Aha and Car Connect have nothing to do with each other. Maybe you're talking about Porsche Online Services? That is Aha. A completely different thing.

http://press.porsche.com/news/pdf/Po...e-Services.pdf
http://www.porsche.com/usa/carconnect/

Quick Reply: Aux BT and iPhone