Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:12 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
After a 2'500 miles tour about two months ago, ..just back from another 3'200 miles tour.
California, Arizona, Nevada, and "parking" in the beautiful South of Utah.

A good starting point in California :

Attachment 1191867

I love this photo, ..in the Hight Desert" : (You need the mirror to see how to ride the desert in comfort !)

Attachment 1191868

In Utah, an incredible road : Bicentennial highway :

Attachment 1191869

Attachment 1191870

Attachment 1191871

And, when many people told us that we are crazy, it will be way too warm, ..here is what's up, when you go "too far up" !!!
(For sure, all of that, with Pirelli PZero, the tires that loves summer times.)
I just felt like home, in Switzerland going in the Mountain. Long time ago, I had two BMW 7, and in the winter, when the car felt that two flakes of snow landed on ground 3'000 feet higher than where we were, ..it was starting already to spin ! (With the time, I became extremely good at putting the chains on !!). With a Panamera 4, snow, sand, dirt, feel all as good and solid as asphalt.

Attachment 1191872

Quite far from Los Angeles, ..with love

Attachment 1191873

In Utah, they should have some pretty good Dremel !

Attachment 1191874

Attachment 1191875

A funny one, "Hidden Panamera" :

Attachment 1191876

..Sometimes, it is just a question of shape :

Attachment 1191877

Well, on the asphalt, in the dirt, or in the snow, ..so happy aboard a Panamera 4S
I still do not know about any better Grand Tourrer than this car.

But, I want to sell it, (see above), as I want to get a 2015 or 16 Turbo, ..to match the the power of our CTT !
great photos... thanks for sharing!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:27 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Very cool, GVA-SFO. You were in areas where you can test the limits of what your car can really do. Maybe you did?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:24 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, after about 65,000 miles (more than 100,000 kms), good bye, farewell Panamera 4S, this was the best car we ever had !
(Car sold yesterday !)
Next : I do not know, will think about, may be another/last V8 (no choice, with a Turbo this time) , ..before this will be an extinct machine !
Thanks to all of you for all the views here in this more than five year great experience.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Paul Rathjen
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

No bro. You NEEED to try out a Turbo.........Panamera. NEEEEED.

Curious, without having to read through every page, what issues did you run into over your ownership?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:16 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..I think I got a lot of "these" !
Yes, i may get a turbo, if i find one with the options Im looking for !
..but will NOT get a V6 !

(No need to try a turbo, since some years we also have a CTT !)

These days, driving my Boxster, ..that normally is used on tracks !
I think I have to remove slicks out of one of the sets, ..to not use Nitto NT01 on open roads ! Street legal, but noisy and not comfy

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 07-15-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:32 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

No more Panamera, but, still love to do "Grand Tours".
This time, being in the East Coast about 10 days ago, rented a car (reserved a Mercedes Class E, ..but got a Cad XTS awd !!), I just did a 4,400 miles crossing the USA ride in 10 days with this "XTS".
Well, while the Cad XTS was good and comfy, I must say that it is VERY-VERY far away for the Panamera as a touring "tool".
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 PM
FriscoTexasGuy
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Good news for those waiting on MY19. Allocations are now open and I will be placing my order this weekend for 1 of 2 slots that will be delivered in December!!!
Old 08-02-2018, 02:52 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

LMAO I'm backwards, Left my Panamera 4S and hello 911S 7spd manual
Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

I can understand you very well, nothing beats a manual transmission.
This difference is simple : shifting when **you** want, not when the computer of the car want.

(These computers are programmed to give the lowest emissions, simply to reduce taxes to the manufacturer. ..And people still think that the "Diesel Gate" is only a VW story !)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 PM
NJS_04_996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Ben? .....Benjamin Button?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Hello Everybody,
Long time !
It is true that I let this topic a bit on the side, ..as I was real p..off to have lost all the picture thanks to the change of policies of PhotoBucket, where I had these picture uploaded !
And, as you know, for some recent post, I can re-upload these somewhere else, ..but for the old post, we, at Rennlist cannot edit the old posts, so, no way to change and makes these photos being back !

Do I'm the only one in such a case ?
Should I "worry" and try to re-upload these photos, ..or simply give up ?
Frankly, I do not know. I would be happy to read what you think. Finally, this topic was about an "old" Panamera model, may be there is no interest anymore to read about it today.
Would be happy to read from you before anything else !

PS: I still have this car, ..but want to change it against a Turbo one, ..but NOT a 2017 !
I want to stick with a car that do NOT have what I call the "new gen glass buttons", ..that I frankly hate.
(It makes me think about these new restaurants, where you have to order via "glass button screens", and then, even worse, to eat with that dam screen in the fornt of you, ..showing advertisings !)

May be after 64,340 views, (many thanks to all of you) we are coming close to the end, ..like an old 16 bit machine, that is able to address a max of 65'535 slots of memory !
Since the time of this post, I changed the way to add photos in my post and not used Photobucket anymore.
(I use my own company, after asked the development team to add an easy way to post photos into forums.)

And then, I heard recently that the Photobucket CEO that took the crazy decision (another ransom tentative, that we can also call it here with the nickname "dieselgate' !) ..has been fired, and his replacement took the decision to revert that change in the term of use.
..The result for this thread is that all the old photos uploaded using Photobucket did suddenly re-appeared !

I do not know if some of you are still looking at the early part of this thread, but, at least now, ..it is back to "photos complete" !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 08-17-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:57 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Funny : no more Panamera, and this days, I'm asking myself this exact SAME question today (?back to 911 with 7 manual gears?)
..As a close friend of mine has one of the last normally aspirated 911, with no miles on it, and want to do his lease return !

I want to check if 'this" car would be "grand tour' compatible for us, ..or not !

One thing is clear for us, a CTT, is definitively "NOT" a grand tour "machine", the suspension is way to much stiffer !
(Ou first Cayenne, of the early generation, an S, Tit Edit that was fully loaded, with air suspension WAS for us fully "grand tour compatible", as the air suspension was a LOT more comfy than the one of the later models, that are real stiff.)
(I would say that our CTT is almost as stiff as my track/fun Boxster S, that has PSS9 set to low and stiff !)

Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Well, after 3 days of modern 911 and a very attractive offer for a "no miles" 2014 manual cab, I decided to pass !
The comfort and the space of the Panamera was not balanced by the 7 speed manual of a 911. No way back for me !
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM
GTS1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GVA- SFO,

I understand how you feel about the space and comfort of the Panamera.It is really a great car. I would add, that it is a very rewarding performance car relatively speaking for such a large sedan , IMO. I have a 2015 Panamera 4, and although not as capable as the Turbo of course, I find it a very satisfying driving experience. I do however have the benefit of owning a 997.2 GTS 6MT as well , so I get my naturally aspirated 911 6 speed manual fix when I feel the need for it. Back to the Panamera, I recently contemplated a possible purchase of an 18 P4 , however, after a couple of test drives and getting back in my 2015 P4 each time, I couldn't get past the feel and smooth pull of my 2015 970 V6 vs. the 2018 Turbocharged V6 . The new turbo motor felt too artificial and immediate for my taste. I missed the strong linear pull of the NA motor enough to pass on going for the newer car. Aside from that , I am not a fan of the high gloss and touch screen dash of the 18. Makes the car feel further disconnected to me. Anyway, NA vs. Turbo is purely a matter of preference . I just continue to enjoy the NA cars while they last.. The new cars are definitely the latest and greatest and more powerful ,etc. The new Turbo Panamera is obviously a monster !! Best of luck and enjoy either way that you go.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:44 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS1
GVA- SFO,

I understand how you feel about the space and comfort of the Panamera.It is really a great car. I would add, that it is a very rewarding performance car relatively speaking for such a large sedan , IMO. I have a 2015 Panamera 4, and although not as capable as the Turbo of course, I find it a very satisfying driving experience. I do however have the benefit of owning a 997.2 GTS 6MT as well , so I get my naturally aspirated 911 6 speed manual fix when I feel the need for it. Back to the Panamera, I recently contemplated a possible purchase of an 18 P4 , however, after a couple of test drives and getting back in my 2015 P4 each time, I couldn't get past the feel and smooth pull of my 2015 970 V6 vs. the 2018 Turbocharged V6 . The new turbo motor felt too artificial and immediate for my taste. I missed the strong linear pull of the NA motor enough to pass on going for the newer car. Aside from that , I am not a fan of the high gloss and touch screen dash of the 18. Makes the car feel further disconnected to me. Anyway, NA vs. Turbo is purely a matter of preference . I just continue to enjoy the NA cars while they last.. The new cars are definitely the latest and greatest and more powerful ,etc. The new Turbo Panamera is obviously a monster !! Best of luck and enjoy either way that you go.
I traded in my 2015 P4 for a 2018 P4 E-Hybrid ST, and I agree with you on the touch screen and high-gloss points -- the old was better in appearance (though the high-resolution screen for maps is pretty cool), and the new set-up suffers from fingerprint smudging and from lots of solar-glare reflection (poor design on both counts). Also, the V6 engine alone seemed better in my 2015 P4 than my 2018 P4; however, the E-Hybrid is awesome, and I love the looks of the Sport Turismo, while I do miss my 2015 P4 at the same time. I'm one who actually likes the looks of the first-gen Panamera better than the second-gen sedan, but I like the exterior looks of the new-gen Sport Turismo best of all.

Quick Reply: Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !