Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Strange behavior: the car "hops up" while backing up on a level surface

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You know... I've noticed that often when I start the car it will kind of lift up or "hop" after the engine starts, usually when cold. I'm guessing that the transmission is waking up and the clutches start to do their thing and the gears are pre-positioning. This is while it's still in "Park".

But that's different, isn't it? Your car does this while moving.

Hmmmm. Are you actually applying the gas when this happens or just letting the idle speed move you along? There is a distinct difference in how the transmission slips the clutch between the former and the latter.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I've experienced this backing up in my Panamera S and Carrera S. It only happens to me when backing up with the wheel turned to lock. The little hopping feel starts as you back up at an extreme angle.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
brisco
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJBird993, my "hopping" only occurs when the car is moving between approximately 2 and 10 MPH. Most of the time when it occurs I definitely have my foot on the gas, though just barely. It does not happen when the engine is on but the car is not moving.

Galvano, thanks for your post but I think what you describe is a different issue, and I have heard of that occurring with the Cayman as well. My "hopping" usually occurs when the car is moving in a straight line or a gentle curve when the wheel is hardly turned at all.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09 PM
brisco
AutoX

Car is still doing it. Taking it in to the dealer again today. Different dealer than I mentioned earlier.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:32 AM
brisco
AutoX

Car has been at the dealership for a week now. They were able to reproduce the problem. They tell me they are going to "re-set the PDK software". They gave me a loaner 2011 Panamera. I can say that if feels like it shifts a bit more smoothly than my 2010.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
brisco
AutoX

Here is the story I got today from the service manager at the dealership:

My Panamera had two problems. Recall that at the beginning of this topic I described how the car "hopped" while backing straight up, and how it also hopped during low speed turns. They just re-set the PDK software and claim that it had not been releasing the clutch properly, causing the car to "hop" when driving off from a dead stop. I do notice that the PDK shifts more smoothly now.

The "hopping" during low speed turns is now being explained by the fact that the Panamera (and the new 991) use "Ackerman steering geometry" in the suspension design. See this explanation in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerma...ering_geometry

The service manager claims that the 991 model and the Panamera use that steering geometry which will make the car "hop" sometimes in very low speed turns. This is said to be "normal". He says that some 991 owners are experiencing the same thing.

Given that Panamera production began in April 2009, I am amazed that it took almost four years for this service manager to become aware of the explanation for the issues I have been having with my car during low speed turns.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM
brisco
AutoX

The PDK software re-set seems to have cured the occasional "hopping" while backing up.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 431 Posts

Did this hop happen while turning? My turbo and gts have both done this hop, but only when wheels turned.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
brisco
AutoX

disden, see my post just above, date 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM, and my post that started this topic, where I explain when the "hops" occur.

Quick Reply: Strange behavior: the car "hops up" while backing up on a level surface