Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera GTS vs. 2013 Audi S8

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 AM
baileybonds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panamera GTS vs. 2013 Audi S8

Need advice/help from someone who has driven both of these cars? I currently have a silver Panamera GTS on order scheduled for an early Dec. delivery. My mind had been set on the GTS until I saw some recent positive press for the new 2013 Audi S8. Now I am officially debating both cars.

Can anyone who has test driven both comment on their thoughts? I know that the GTS handles better, but the S8's 0-60 is 3.5s?!??! Is the handling that bad on the S8 vs. the GTS? I know the inside of the Audi is quiet and I'd miss the special exhaust note on the GTS , but is that all? Decisions, decisions.

I'm coming out of an 09 997.2 C4S PDK (that I just realized that I gotta get moving to try and sell before I decide on which new 4 door beast to get!) if that helps.

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the exterior styling of the Audi is quite bland....as you have stated, the GTS will be far superior in handling, exhaust note, styling, etc no brainer to me GTS hands down don't even think about cancelling that order!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Louis.E
Advanced

There are a few more panameras in my neighborhood. Usually base ones, but a few turbos too. I considered getting a gts panamera, and cross shoped with an S8. My wife didn't like the idea of a family car from Porsche, saying it was too exotic/showy to drive to family/friends houses. I was a bit turned off at just how fast and deep the options on a Porsche add up here in Canada. I saw the Panamera as the sportiest ride I could buy and have functional daily driving for a family of four.

In the end I was actually fully onboard for the S8 decision but barely vs. gts, after all considerations were added in. This was July, and the reviews on the S8 were luke warm to estimated ok results. It made the decision a hard one, vs. the gts.

Now after reading a few tested reviews, I am 100% sure it was the right car. The areas of expected comprimise have been improved into a much better situation, and tiped the scales. I really think the S8 has no comprimises now, since it has enough sport performance to do the large luxury sport sedan proud. Not panamera cornering, but not a comprimise either.

The Panamera is a bit loud, firmer riding, harder on gas, and not quite as luxury in the interior, these were the comprimises I was weighing in vs. class leading track times.

In the end, if you want a sportscar, get one, but do you realy want a 4 door sportscar? some might, but the S8 in dailly driving really is a brutaly good combination for a sporty family car. A panny turbo for equal money would now be a tuff call,(but they are way priced high) although in matt farahs review he mentioned he'd pick an S8 over the panamera turbo (let alone the gts) in the sport lux class....not likely before he drove/tested one though.

The S8 in my area will be the only one, short term at least, in a sea of 4 new M5s, and 3 panameras, and 5 or 6 750i. That slight excusivness matered too for me.

Motortrend reviewers, both of them in separate tests, absolutely loved the S8.....more than they expected. Cross shopping can get irrational at times, both are top cars, so its down to top priority for your needs really.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...amera_gts.html
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

That is good to hear, and a well balanced viewpoint....perhaps I am being shortsighted and should put an S8 on my radar....

Hard to believe anything is better interior styling tho...that GTS was amazing.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Have driven both

Agree with Louis E. GTS is much more fun to drive, although not as fast straight line speed as S8, which does not have noticeable turbo lag. GTS transmission is much better, as the downshifts in particular arrive when one might expect them. On hilly and twisty roads the GTS is more engaging and fun, although the S8 balance and transition in corners is surprisingly good. Then there are the everyday tech bits on the S8 that will make it very easy to live with, from MMI to push button start/stop. Alcantara seats in GTS with deviating stitching are fabulous, but the S8 seats have their benefits as well. For the money, the difference between the two is not trivial when the GTS is fully equipped in the mid-130k's and the S8 about 20k less. One final daily driver note is that the S8 will not draw unwanted attention on the road as a Pan GTS will, but like everything about these two amazing cars, that is a subjective position. It would be hard to go wrong with either, but they are very different.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

thanks for the follow-up...I looked online, and just find the S8 to be so darn 'bland"...... I am still def leaning toward the GTS just seems like an amazing combo of luxury and performance
Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM
baileybonds
Instructor

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to test drive an S8 ASAP. Assuming that goes well and that my GTS that I've ordered exhibits the whining noise at speed, then I am most likely going Audi. I can't believe I'm gonna give up the Porsche, but the defect in the Porsche is just unacceptable for the price point.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTS no brainer, you wont be sorry!
Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
scargo70
Intermediate

Depreciation favors the GTS; Large Audis and large BMW -7 series- historically have poor resale. The S8 as a daily driver might be better since the MMI in Audis is simply the best around; but the GTS will wake you up in the morning and will re0invigorate after a long day in the office.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scargo70
Depreciation favors the GTS; Large Audis and large BMW -7 series- historically have poor resale. The S8 as a daily driver might be better since the MMI in Audis is simply the best around; but the GTS will wake you up in the morning and will re0invigorate after a long day in the office.
Great point re: depreciation and absolutely true.

One of the cars in my garage is a 2007 S8 with 38,000 miles. While it isn't fair to compare this model year to a new GTS, I love the S8 for the following reasons:

- Extremely luxurious but has a hard edge
- Understated, many don't realize it has a V10 Lambo engine
- Sneaky fast, handles well, fantastic on road trips

I've driven a GTS on the track and road. It is less refined than the S8 (in a good way). Simply stated, the Panamera is more of a sports car.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What did you end up doing, Dave?

I test drove the A8 (no S8 available) and thought it was a superior car to the BMW 750. However, it was between the 750 and the Panamera S and E55 because of the Audi reputation for service and resale.

My avatar shows that I made the correct final decision.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Only problem with the Audi is reliability hell
Old 03-19-2013, 05:43 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Once again......SO damn glad I have the Panny GTS on order! Arrives end of April
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Once again......SO damn glad I have the Panny GTS on order! Arrives end of April
Good luck with it !!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Only problem with the Audi is reliability hell
You must be stuck in the '80s. Audi has been the most reliable German brand for a few years.

Consumer Reports' reliability ratings 2012

Automakers were ranked based on average predicted reliability scores:

1. Scion
2. Toyota
3. Lexus
4. Mazda
5. Subaru
6. Honda
7. Acura
8. Audi
9. Infiniti
10. Kia