Panamera 2010-Current

Whining noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kip1
I suggest you read the WHOLE thread I posted in my last post.
hello. yes i did read the whole post and looks like the problem is with the rear differential in 4\4 models sending the noise via heating vents to the cabin. You can stop the noise at any speed by switching to neutral . i did talk to my local dealer about this so lets see how they can fix that. I know for sure is not a panel or a tape issue in this case but the noise it is same as the one on your video just little quieter.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 7 Posts

Update: I have been working with my dealership on the issue of high-pitch whine transmitted through the air vent. The lead technician and service manager at my dealership have been excellent. They escalated this issue several levels through PCNA and then finally to Porsche in Germany. Porsche has acknowledged the issue of a harmonic frequency sound transmitted through the air vent opening in the engine bay. My dealership has been told that an extension piece is being developed that will be added on the current vent opening to eliminate the sound intake. I was told to expect "a few weeks" for the work-around to be completed. When I expressed skepticism regarding the speed at which Porsche would actually develop and release a fix, I was told that this was apparently being taken very seriously by Germany due to the number of Panamera's reporting the issue - they realize this is not an isolated problem.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Thx Sapaman!
Old 09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sapaman
Update: I have been working with my dealership on the issue of high-pitch whine transmitted through the air vent. The lead technician and service manager at my dealership have been excellent. They escalated this issue several levels through PCNA and then finally to Porsche in Germany. Porsche has acknowledged the issue of a harmonic frequency sound transmitted through the air vent opening in the engine bay. My dealership has been told that an extension piece is being developed that will be added on the current vent opening to eliminate the sound intake. I was told to expect "a few weeks" for the work-around to be completed. When I expressed skepticism regarding the speed at which Porsche would actually develop and release a fix, I was told that this was apparently being taken very seriously by Germany due to the number of Panamera's reporting the issue - they realize this is not an isolated problem.
hmmm, looks like a global recall to me.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Hello Sapaman.
Any new update from your dealer ?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 7 Posts

Just called last week to check, dealership has heard nothing since the last communication from Germany. Wondering if there really is a fix coming...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 AM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked about the ti-al turbo reality when I saw one ptts burn at Shannonville, I think it was almost a year before the recall arrived. They usually fix these, but it will take time. I think they need a fix that can be made for all the cars and without big costs.

Sorry your fix isnt as easy as mine...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

I had to file a claim with PNA. I was told that they are working on the fix but nothing for now. The worst part is that the noise is now more frequent then before.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

just talk to PNA and they are not going to do anything about.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by zgdanska
just talk to PNA and they are not going to do anything about.
Oh well, at least with the vent closed it is much more tolerable, in fact I dont really notice it much anymore. I drive mine 70 miles a day, havn't thought about it for awhile now.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by disden
Oh well, at least with the vent closed it is much more tolerable, in fact I dont really notice it much anymore. I drive mine 70 miles a day, havn't thought about it for awhile now.
which vent are you referring to ?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:51 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably center passenger's side?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:27 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by keithos27
Probably center passenger's side?
Correct, this trick actually works.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
liverbird
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am based in the UK and own a brand new panamera 4s. Immediately I noticed the exact same problem re high pitched noise which is variable as to throttle input. It also occurs at 54 and 71mph. I informed Porsche UK and their response was to reprogramme the transmission software, which is now taking place. However, so far their systems keep crashing and I was told that it is due to a programming problem with the agents diagnostic equipment, which in turn would corrupt the information being stored in the vehicles ECU's. I am doubtful this will rectify the fault. Does anyone have any further insight into the resolution of this annoying problem??????
Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by liverbird
I am based in the UK and own a brand new panamera 4s. Immediately I noticed the exact same problem re high pitched noise which is variable as to throttle input. It also occurs at 54 and 71mph. I informed Porsche UK and their response was to reprogramme the transmission software, which is now taking place. However, so far their systems keep crashing and I was told that it is due to a programming problem with the agents diagnostic equipment, which in turn would corrupt the information being stored in the vehicles ECU's. I am doubtful this will rectify the fault. Does anyone have any further insight into the resolution of this annoying problem??????
i am sorry to say but porsche will not fix that . To them it is a normal noise.

Quick Reply: Whining noise?