Panamera 2010-Current

Whining noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Whining noise?

I've experienced it in a test drive, and I was just watching this YouTube video (Top Gear outtake) and noticed it around 1:00 mark. Is this what others are experiencing?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

You know it is really odd that you posted this. On my new GTS within 2 days of commuting I noted a really faint but annoying high pitched noise, almost seemed like feedback from a microphone. I called my local dealer and he wasn't aware of any similar problems. Now that I read this post I searched and found other people have had similar issues. This was definitely not present in my prior PTT. Its funny because the noise is at first barely noticeable, only occurs at higher speeds while cruising. But once its noticed, oh my god is it annoying. It seems like it has to be something involving the driveline because it noticeably fluctuates with throttle input. Also, doesnt occur when parked and revving the engine. Will be visiting the Porsche dealer sooner then expected.

On a side note, other then this crazy noise I really enjoy the GTS.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 AM
sapaman
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you have this issue, I have observed the same on my '13 GTS. There is a good thread on 6speed with a few others with the same problem. Closing the right middle air vent does dampen the sound and make less annoying. Let's hope with multiple people reporting the same issue that a fix can be found. I agree otherwise the GTS is a fantastic package!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sapaman
Sorry you have this issue, I have observed the same on my '13 GTS. There is a good thread on 6speed with a few others with the same problem. Closing the right middle air vent does dampen the sound and make less annoying. Let's hope with multiple people reporting the same issue that a fix can be found. I agree otherwise the GTS is a fantastic package!
Unless its the rear whine issue that is caused by the rear bootlid insulation...
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Yes good point. There seems to be 3 different sources for high-pitch whistle/whine in the Panamera, this is based on my searching to find a source for my problem on various forums:

1. High pitch whistle coming from the rear boot-lid seal/insulation. Can be diagnosed by taping up the rear gap. Replacing insulation can minimize the issue, though physically realigning the rear trunk lid apparently eliminated the noise.

2. High-pitch whistle coming from the steering column area under turns. This is a power steering fluid pump or fluid level issue.

3. High-pitch whistle from the middle console air vent at high speeds. Can be diagnosed by closing the middle right air vent which diminishes the sound. The noise also disappears when vehicle is put in neutral while coasting at the high speed which causes the sound, and seems to be associated with AWD vehicles. This implies a front drive-train issue, but currently unresolved. This is what I have.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by sapaman
I am going to try this air vent trick out and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM
disden
Drifting

Hey, this whining noise actually did decrease with closing the vent, still there but really had to listen for it.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Thanks for confirming. Very sorry you have the issue, but I am glad it is "real" and I am not just imagining. If more people report this hopefully it will get addressed.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem here. It only stops when i turn of the airflow in the cabin. Maybe is one of the motors ?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by keithos27
I've experienced it in a test drive, and I was just watching this YouTube video (Top Gear outtake) and noticed it around 1:00 mark. Is this what others are experiencing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftrk...feature=fvwrel
this is the same noise like in that video !
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
zgdanska
Intermediate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ftrk...feature=fvwrel
Originally Posted by zgdanska
this is the same noise like in that video !
here is another link for the same noise .
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/m...9102011012.mp4
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Argh! I hope this gets resolved ASAP! Thanks for helping show more instances caught on video.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM
kip1
Instructor

Argh! I hope this gets resolved ASAP! Thanks for helping show more instances caught on video.
Thats my car with the rear whine before the rear hatch seal replacement Sorry, wrong whine...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/p...er-speeds.html
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kip1
Thats my car with the rear whine before the rear hatch seal replacement Sorry, wrong whine...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/p...er-speeds.html
i have the noise all the time , as soon i switch to neutral is gone. Any ideas ? BTW i can hear this thing at all speeds.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:47 PM
kip1
Instructor

I suggest you read the WHOLE thread I posted in my last post.

Quick Reply: Whining noise?