Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Returning to panamera from 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,154 Likes on 469 Posts

A few more updates about this amazing vehicle.

1. Truly love this car, the lowered stance is really nice, the blacked out features look great too. My wife even said it looks more racy then my previous Turbo. Still getting used to the lower panels in matte black instead of painted. Interestingly, they look great up close, but from a distance look out of place.

2. I did notice the high pitched feedback-like sound when cruising at higher speeds. However, with help from others here, it mostly disappears by closing the right middle vent.

3. This car sounds great as most have noted. The noises from the exhaust on downshifts are fantastic.

4. On the back roads this car seems to handle better then my prior PTT. Steering feels more crisp at higher speeds (although I really hate the servotronic, in future no matter how good a deal the car is, will pass if this feature is present as option).

5. In the Turbo when gunning it you felt like you were hanging on for dear life, just along for the ride. In the GTS I always feel in control, so certainly a more confidence inspiring drive. Still not the sure rush of acceleration like the Turbo, but not exactly slow either.

6. I am very happy with this purchase vs the Turbo as I really lost some sleep over which to choose. I went back a forth for days about which one to get, and feared I would choose the wrong one. I knew this was going to be my daily driver for along time(4-5 years) , so making the right choice was critical. In the end I am very happy. One thing that always annoyed me about the Turbo was its lack of noise, even with the $3000 Sport exhaust (not sure what it really did for that kind of cash!) In addition, I was lucky to find a GTS with less then 300 miles on it that the dealer CPO'd for me, so I am driving the wheels off of it for 100K miles without worries. Life is good, at least until the facelift, then what?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

As always, thanks for the update. I am 95% going to get this car in a few months when my lease is up. Couple of follow-up questions:

Originally Posted by disden

1. Truly love this car, the lowered stance is really nice, the blacked out features look great too. My wife even said it looks more racy then my previous Turbo. Still getting used to the lower panels in matte black instead of painted. Interestingly, they look great up close, but from a distance look out of place. IN HINDSIGHT, WOULD YOU HAVE THEN ORDERED THE CAR WITH THE PAINTED LOWER PANELS?

2. I did notice the high pitched feedback-like sound when cruising at higher speeds. However, with help from others here, it mostly disappears by closing the right middle vent.

3. This car sounds great as most have noted. The noises from the exhaust on downshifts are fantastic.

4. On the back roads this car seems to handle better then my prior PTT. Steering feels more crisp at higher speeds (although I really hate the servotronic, in future no matter how good a deal the car is, will pass if this feature is present as option). WHAT IS SERVOTRONIC? SOUNDS LIKE A FEATURE YOU WOULD PASS ON IF POSSIBLE

5. In the Turbo when gunning it you felt like you were hanging on for dear life, just along for the ride. In the GTS I always feel in control, so certainly a more confidence inspiring drive. Still not the sure rush of acceleration like the Turbo, but not exactly slow either.

6. I am very happy with this purchase vs the Turbo as I really lost some sleep over which to choose. I went back a forth for days about which one to get, and feared I would choose the wrong one. I knew this was going to be my daily driver for along time(4-5 years) , so making the right choice was critical. In the end I am very happy. One thing that always annoyed me about the Turbo was its lack of noise, even with the $3000 Sport exhaust (not sure what it really did for that kind of cash!) In addition, I was lucky to find a GTS with less then 300 miles on it that the dealer CPO'd for me, so I am driving the wheels off of it for 100K miles without worries. Life is good, at least until the facelift, then what?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:29 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Argh I keep tossing and turning over PTTS vs GTS as well! And I plan on keeping this car for 10 years so I'm debating waiting until the facelift comes out too. And I'm really turned off by the high-pitch whining noise so I truly hope they come out with a fix ASAP (otherwise I don't think I want to buy a car that I have to keep for 10 years with that sort of "feature").

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Can you be even more specific about the Pros vs. Cons of the GTS vs TT? I know the GTS is noisier, but not as fast in a straight-line. What else do you notice/feel/miss/etc?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:33 PM
keithos27
Racer

BTW, where are the pics???
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Again, what is the whine issue?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:24 PM
keithos27
Racer

You can hear a whining noise when driving the Panamera (I believe only 4 wheel drive models have been affected). There are a few threads on this...
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

geez....really? On a $120K car?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
keithos27
Racer

Unfortunately
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 AM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
geez....really? On a $120K car?
Servotronic as an adaptive steering that adjusts the power steering feel according to speed, so the wheel is very light to turn at low speeds. One of the reasons the car feels lighter than it is. Some say, however, the input is not good and though steering reqires more work, its more natural. For everyday driving in the city, its excellent. I like it.

Check threads on servotronic, long and vicious debate pro and cons, this splits the Porsche fans, almost as much as the gts vs ptt debate. I think turbo owners like more luxury and servotronic and gts owners more the sporty side.

The different whistles are caused by the incredible silenceness that the Panamera has, at 250km/h normal talking is no problem with insulated glasses, but the muted tire noise makes all rattles and whines clearly audible inside, sadly also leaves exhaust noise outside.

Do a search on this too.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:04 AM
kip1
Instructor

Originally Posted by keithos27
You can hear a whining noise when driving the Panamera (I believe only 4 wheel drive models have been affected). There are a few threads on this...
I dont think the rwd models are spared from the rear hatch whine...Probably from the front end whine, not confirmed yet. I only had the rear end so far. Then again my car is in small pieces at the shop at the moment, not driven it almost for a month now
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 AM
keithos27
Racer

^oh right, i forgot there was the rear end issue as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I did not order servotronic. How does it feel? Why do you hate it? I was wondering whether I should have ordered it since the steering effort at low speeds is bait higher than my 997 GTS.

I love the lowered stance at normal setting and also when parked. Without it, I would have to go get it lowered with springs which would screw up the suspension design. I have PDCC so it handles wonderfully while offering a superb ride.

I also love the exhaust sound, and the fact that it is perfectly quiet and serene under normal mode, but sporty without being obnoxious and tiring in sport modes.

The alcantara interior and the GTS stitching makes the interior much more bespoke than any other Panamera.

My car is white so it contrasts so well with the black trims all around the car.

Originally Posted by disden

1. Truly love this car, the lowered stance is really nice, the blacked out features look great too. My wife even said it looks more racy then my previous Turbo. Still getting used to the lower panels in matte black instead of painted. Interestingly, they look great up close, but from a distance look out of place.

4. On the back roads this car seems to handle better then my prior PTT. Steering feels more crisp at higher speeds (although I really hate the servotronic, in future no matter how good a deal the car is, will pass if this feature is present as option).

Old 08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
keithos27
Racer

Terrence, I'm also interested in a white Panny... could you post pics please?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM
kip1
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by keithos27
Terrence, I'm also interested in a white Panny... could you post pics please?
This is how a white Panny should look like!

With Turbo II or sport wheels in black + sport design kit!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM
keithos27
Racer

Agreed! I'm torn between two color combos at the moment:

- White with blacked-out exterior and Turbo II wheels and Sport Design Kit and PCCB with black interior and either Guards Red seat belts and deviated stitching (or white deviated stitching and black belts)
- Black or Basalt Back with Cognac natural leather and maybe black deviated stitching (still with Turbo IIs, PCCB, and Sports Design Kit). Cant decide on aluminum or black for trim though with this color combo.

One is sportier while the other is more "luxury"... I like the way the black pieces contrast against the white exterior... sometimes I "worry" the black exterior blends in too much.

Quick Reply: Returning to panamera from 991