Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panny GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar_finally
Congrats on the upcoming order. I think you'll really enjoy it. FWIW, here are the options on my car and my impressions of them after 2 months if that helps in your research:

1.) PDCC - I like it, but I have very little time in any Panamera without PDCC and so I can't say if it is a "must have". I think it's relatively more important on a car this big than, say, a 991. I also really enjoy the diff that they bundle with it, and that has definitely been noticeable as I push the car harder now.
2.) 20" RS Design wheels - Personal preference of course. I would get these again. I got a set of the 19" Turbo wheels for winter.
3.) Painted Wheel Crests - Like them. Personal pref of course.
4.) "Panamera GTS" script on bottom of front doors. I like them. See if you can see a car with and without it.
5.) LCA - This is one option I would say is definitely "must have". Visibility in this car is limited. The Euro/RoW mirror glass helps (and is also "must have" IMO), but even with that I thank the LCA like once a day. I wouldn't get a Panamera without this.
6.) Rear view camera/front parktronic. See LCA #5. Another must-have.
7.) Double pane, heat resistant glass - Love this option. I actually think dampening other noises helps you focus on the sound symposer and stereo that much more. Also like the general light level.
8.) Carmine Red GTS interior - I like the deviated stitching and carmine red seatbelts; really makes the interior; The exterior of this car is Carmine Red. This feature may not be as essential with other colors. But I would get the GT Silver version of this if I were getting GT Silver paint. Downside here is that you can't get ventilated seats with this (because of the alcantara).
9.) Porsche Entry and Drive - a must have if you've had it on other cars. I don't love the switch for the ignition, but wouldn't want to go back to pulling the key out of the case either.
10.) Burmester - lots of threads on this. Listen to the Bose and Burmester at your dealer. I really like it. The more it breaks in, I find it is the only stock stereo I've ever had that is genuinely enjoyable to listen to for long periods of time. I would get this again.
11.) Carbon fiber trim - really goes well with the carmine red interior package. I would get this again. Personal preference, so wouldn't call it "must-have"
12.) Rear seat lighting - Really completes and balances the lighting inside, especially in rear wells and on rear doors. I'd do it again.
13.) 4-zone climate control - Have had this in a few cars now. Wouldn't want to live without it. We got a 4 seater because we wanted 4 of us to be comfortable and enjoy driving in this car. The backseat for us was not an afterthought. (which, incidentally, is one of the reasons we didn't buy the CLS63. We were serious about having 4 proper seats like we have had in S-classes before.)
14.) Rear side power sunshades - we dont' use these as often as we did in other cars. Reasons: there is less glass in the back of this car, so it is already kind of dark back there. Also, we have that tinted heat resistant glass. Wouldn't get this option again.
15.) Rear power shade behind seats. See rear side shades #14. I'd pass on this next time.
16.) Rear 8-way comfort seats - They dont' have the same travel as the Mercedes 221 this car replaced for us. But the lumbar support is very nice back there. I think this depends on if you have adults back there who need that
17.) Rear and front heated seats - if you've had that in other cars, you know if you need them or not. We need them.
18.) Fixed luggage cover in leather. This was a surprise "must-have" for us. If you don't get this, then as you look in the back of the car the luggage cover looks not very good against a sea of alcantara and leather. The leather here finishes the back of the car nicely. The nice surprise here was that the stitching came out in carmine red. We weren't expecting that, and it looks awesome. I would definitely order this one again.
19.) Rear wiper - personal pref again on looks. I like the way it breaks up the -- ahem -- substantial back. And rain is an issue on that rear window. And any extra visibility you can find in this car is welcome.
20.) Sat radio - you know if you need/want this one. One note is that you have to get this if you want your nav to route based on traffic conditions.

I may have forgotten an option or two that I got, but those must not be "must haves" then.

Options I didn't get, but wish I had gotten:

A.) The key case. I found out too late that if you order the key case with the car, the stitching is in the same deviated stitching which you have in the car. That would have been very nice with the carmine red stitching. Obviously not an issue if you aren't getting deviated stitching.
B.) Painted key - seemed silly at the time for $300+. But I ended up loving the Carmine Red so much that I regret not having a little bit of that with me all the time. If you get a color you love, you should get the key.

Other things to consider: Look at cars with and without the painted sideskirts. I did, and decided to order mine without painted sideskirts. The black there is a key part of the lines of the car. And, perhaps counter-intuitively, painting that does not lower this car visually, IMO. In fact it does the opposite to my eye. Just make sure you see both in person. Also, find any Porsche or Ferrari with alcantara steering wheel to try. I decided to go with the leather because I prefer the feel.

Also, consider GT silver. I really like that color on the Panamera. Again, see if you can find one to compare to the Plat Silver side by side and see which you prefer.

Good luck!
Nice review!!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Completely agree with all 4 points below. #1 is great. #2 below - I have 2012 PTT, got the paddle shifter, which are great. But if I did it again I would get the Carbon Multifunction Wheel instead. The PDK is so good that the paddles are rarely used and the MF wheel still offers the shift buttons, even if they do operate backwards. #3 - I got Turbo II but traded to HRE P40's - but wheel shop bought my take Turbo II's for $2,000 - so what I paid for the upgrade, you won't get that with many of the other wheels. #4 - back up camera is nice but I really don't look at it much even when backing up.

You will love your new PGTS - great cars.

Originally Posted by disden
A few thoughts

1. LCA is absolutely a MUST. This car has huge blind spots.
2. I love the way he Sport Steering wheels looks, but I am glad that I have the multi-function wheel. My car is a DD, so its nice to be able to do alot of things without having to take my hands off the wheel. If this was a car I rarely drove, would get the sport wheel with alcantara, looks awesome!
3. Turbo II wheels are awesome, look by far the best IMO.
4. Backup Camera is absolutely needed.

For me the only MUSTS where Turbo II wheels and a certain color combination. I was fortunate to find one with only a few hundred miles that they CPO'd for me, so I wasn't too worried about the other options as I knew this would be a DD of 70 miles/day.

Everything else is just personal taste. I have gotten used to the black sideskirts and kinda like them now, makes it more obvious that this is a different Panamera. Please let us know what you order.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all for the continued feedback...I feel like I am waiting for my x mas present that will come in 4-5 months. As for the PDK, I have a 2011 M3 convertible now, with the DCT. While its awesome in auto mode,l I find my self using the paddles in manny mode all of the time (mainly on the drive home) when I have to really push the car, hear the enticing "blip" on the downshift, etc. Are you telling me that in the GTS, even in the auto PDK mode, the car is that good it will do the same? I assumed not, so the paddle wheel was going to be a complete must for me

all other feedback welcome....enjoy weekend
Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 PM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gts steering wheel

Because I liked the multifunction wheel from our cayenne s I decided to get the alcan multi fxn wheel. Love it thought about sport wheel with paddles but I find myself only downshifting so the mf wheel works fine. I have always had manuals with my 911s but the PDK is unbelievable. I have the rear camera and almost every option besides the ceramic brakes. I neglected to get the LCA which I should have ordered as we love it in our cayenne and suburban. I think my gts is the best porsche I've ever had.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

When pushing the car the paddles are nice - however the PDK is that good that paddles are not needed. The shift buttons on the multifunction wheel do the same thing as the paddles, so you get the best of both worlds. Only downside is the buttons are counter intuitive; you push to upshift and pull to downshift - they are just not right - but you will get used to them.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Steve Poon
5th Gear

From this:

From this:

My 2 cents:

1. The GTS drives like a bigger and more sophisticated E9X M3. The engine revs that same way but with more torque, but this is balanced with the added weight. The steering is better on M3, it is more of point and shoot, but both cars are similar in how they plant themselves to the road and inspire confidence. The weight is most noticeable when pushing through sharp S turns at over 50 or 60 MPH (there are a couple freeway on ramps that I do this on rather safely).
2. The GTS drives better than the RS4, because it seems more balanced in the turns, has more torque, and is even more sophisticated. The four drive is much more perceptible on the RS4; it understeers much more.
3. My reference for "sophistication" comes from my perception that the ride and finish of driving the GTS is of a higher quality and a more "solid" feeling than the M3 or RS4. This is case in my test drives of the 991 S as well.
4. I am really glad that I chose this car over the Turbo. For my Norcal public roads, the power is way more than enough. I have not gotten a highway speeding ticket in over 20 years and only 2 on the street during the same time so I am not a big fan of crazy speed.
5. The servo tronic steering is meh, but it was on the car off the lot.
6. The carbon fiber is AMAZING. Looks better than the M6 carbon interior.
7. The fit and finish seems worth the double of the price. The little touches of metal and engraving and quality of the plastics of the buttons and temp displays.
8. The Agate gray is my favorite color.
9. I wanted the Alcantara interior, but my car was equipped with leather. I think it will be easier to maintain.
10. Initially, I thought that the 20s were too small, but after really looking the car, they are perfect for me.
11. Had it pointed out to me that all of the trim is black except for the "Porsche" and "Panamera GTS". I am getting new letters painted in black. Makes a difference to me.
12. The seats are a little firm compared to BMW and Audi. I miss the back width adjustment, but I do have upgraded seats.
13. Really, really miss the key-less entry and the multifunction steering wheel.
14. Cannot get the iPod interface to work while connected to Bluetooth, because the PCM seems to only play audio from the Bluetooth audio as a source. Cannot select playlists or tracks from the stalk on Bluetooth.
15. Sunroof could be bigger.
16. Bose is nice, but bass response can be better. The bass is really clear though.
17. The trunk is a little shallow, but definitely usable.
18. Rear view display is not as high res as BMW or Japanese cars.
19. Wheel spaces and 10 mm makes a big difference in how the car aesthetically sits. Really nice.
20. The sounds that the entire drivetrain makes is absolutely killer for the GTS. I cannot really imagine a price I would put on the whole experience for me. From startup to acceleration to downshift blips to WOT. Perfect for me in every way.

Overall, if I had ordered the car, I could not think of a more perfect vehicle for me. This one off the lot is 99% of the way there. I did a 3 year lease because I was not sure how long I was going to keep it (I average about 2.5 years per car), but I really cannot imagine a better car for my tastes and needs.

I have driven F10 M5, F13 M6, the CLS AMG, besides my own cars. They are all nice in many different ways, but I LOVE my GTS. It is the perfect blend of driving experience, quality, brand, function, and looks for me. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice right up and comparison Steve. Very insightful comparisons!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats Steve - enjoy your new ride!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Steve....Super helpful curious, I know every car is different, but for a well equipped car, approximately what is the monthly lease payment you are paying? I too am going to lease and run it rthough my business
Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Steve Poon
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cole328
Thanks Steve....Super helpful curious, I know every car is different, but for a well equipped car, approximately what is the monthly lease payment you are paying? I too am going to lease and run it rthough my business
The best I could do in CA Bay Area during the end of NOV was about 6% off MSRP on a lease. The Porsche money factors are not too hot so with minimal drive off on a 36 month 12K lease you are around $2K a month on a $125K equipped car. I think if I pushed it a bit more (through LA large volume dealers) I might have saved a couple thousand at the most, which works out to about $50 a month. But with my trade and everything, logistically it was not worth my time.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

OK thanks that is consistent with the Ballpark figures my guy gave me enjoy the car
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Steve Poon
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cole328
OK thanks that is consistent with the Ballpark figures my guy gave me enjoy the car
Worth every penny in my opinion. I would rather have the GTS over any combo of two $70K cars. The sports car is the easy part to do, but the lux ride together is the stuff of genius...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:36 AM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Steve Poon
The sports car is the easy part to do, but the lux ride together is the stuff of genius...
Exactly.

A photo from our awesome 1,200 mile road trip. I'll post more in the picture threads soon.
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Steve Poon
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pcar_finally
Exactly.

A photo from our awesome 1,200 mile road trip. I'll post more in the picture threads soon.
Nice color combo! I have always wanted a red car, but no guts

I love this car. I have not felt this way about a car in a while. From my Honda S2000 to the RS4 to the M3, I was getting less and less surprised by what the cars could do, but the GTS is one exciting vehicle that blows my mind all the time. It should not sound and drive the way it does...

I will paint the model designations glossy black to match and also powder coat my wheels to matte black as well. All during my Xmas travel so I can come back to an even better looking car

Quick Reply: Panny GTS