Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panny GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Panny GTS

Given the prior thread re: "issues and problems," thought I'd check in with the Panny GTS owners. This one on my short list of cars when my current lease is up in a few months. Curious what other current owners have to say. As always, pics make the post more special.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Jty421
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,127 Likes on 461 Posts

3 months and 5k miles later I couldn't be happier. Not as blindingly fast as my old Turbo, but for some reason it's just a more enjoyable package. Maybe it's the exhaust, or the fact that it just feels more planted on the back roads.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

great to hear....not surprising. While the turbo was clearly faster, there are only very very limited places to use the speed. On the other hand, "pretty fast acceleration," exhaust note and handling never get old
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

After 1500 miles, I absolutely agree with Disden. This car is a Goldilocksesque "just right". Keeps getting better and better as you realize how far you can push it. Can't wait for the 1100-1200 mile trip we have planned for Thanksgiving! My son and I are literally counting down the hours.

This car is much more the canyon carver than the drag racer of course. So if a drag racer is what you want, obviously there are better options for that at this price.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

so nice to hear...went to the P-car dealer today, and found out that for prior P-car owners, they have a "pull though" program that allows them to absorb the last three payments of a current lease if you are going to lease a new GTS. So, come January, will order the Platinum silver beast. Any "must have" options? Also, today, none of the cars had the alcantra steering wheel ...I thought that was a standard option...I guess not. Anyway, glad you are enjoying keep the advice coming

Cole
Old 11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

Congrats on the upcoming order. I think you'll really enjoy it. FWIW, here are the options on my car and my impressions of them after 2 months if that helps in your research:

1.) PDCC - I like it, but I have very little time in any Panamera without PDCC and so I can't say if it is a "must have". I think it's relatively more important on a car this big than, say, a 991. I also really enjoy the diff that they bundle with it, and that has definitely been noticeable as I push the car harder now.
2.) 20" RS Design wheels - Personal preference of course. I would get these again. I got a set of the 19" Turbo wheels for winter.
3.) Painted Wheel Crests - Like them. Personal pref of course.
4.) "Panamera GTS" script on bottom of front doors. I like them. See if you can see a car with and without it.
5.) LCA - This is one option I would say is definitely "must have". Visibility in this car is limited. The Euro/RoW mirror glass helps (and is also "must have" IMO), but even with that I thank the LCA like once a day. I wouldn't get a Panamera without this.
6.) Rear view camera/front parktronic. See LCA #5. Another must-have.
7.) Double pane, heat resistant glass - Love this option. I actually think dampening other noises helps you focus on the sound symposer and stereo that much more. Also like the general light level.
8.) Carmine Red GTS interior - I like the deviated stitching and carmine red seatbelts; really makes the interior; The exterior of this car is Carmine Red. This feature may not be as essential with other colors. But I would get the GT Silver version of this if I were getting GT Silver paint. Downside here is that you can't get ventilated seats with this (because of the alcantara).
9.) Porsche Entry and Drive - a must have if you've had it on other cars. I don't love the switch for the ignition, but wouldn't want to go back to pulling the key out of the case either.
10.) Burmester - lots of threads on this. Listen to the Bose and Burmester at your dealer. I really like it. The more it breaks in, I find it is the only stock stereo I've ever had that is genuinely enjoyable to listen to for long periods of time. I would get this again.
11.) Carbon fiber trim - really goes well with the carmine red interior package. I would get this again. Personal preference, so wouldn't call it "must-have"
12.) Rear seat lighting - Really completes and balances the lighting inside, especially in rear wells and on rear doors. I'd do it again.
13.) 4-zone climate control - Have had this in a few cars now. Wouldn't want to live without it. We got a 4 seater because we wanted 4 of us to be comfortable and enjoy driving in this car. The backseat for us was not an afterthought. (which, incidentally, is one of the reasons we didn't buy the CLS63. We were serious about having 4 proper seats like we have had in S-classes before.)
14.) Rear side power sunshades - we dont' use these as often as we did in other cars. Reasons: there is less glass in the back of this car, so it is already kind of dark back there. Also, we have that tinted heat resistant glass. Wouldn't get this option again.
15.) Rear power shade behind seats. See rear side shades #14. I'd pass on this next time.
16.) Rear 8-way comfort seats - They dont' have the same travel as the Mercedes 221 this car replaced for us. But the lumbar support is very nice back there. I think this depends on if you have adults back there who need that
17.) Rear and front heated seats - if you've had that in other cars, you know if you need them or not. We need them.
18.) Fixed luggage cover in leather. This was a surprise "must-have" for us. If you don't get this, then as you look in the back of the car the luggage cover looks not very good against a sea of alcantara and leather. The leather here finishes the back of the car nicely. The nice surprise here was that the stitching came out in carmine red. We weren't expecting that, and it looks awesome. I would definitely order this one again.
19.) Rear wiper - personal pref again on looks. I like the way it breaks up the -- ahem -- substantial back. And rain is an issue on that rear window. And any extra visibility you can find in this car is welcome.
20.) Sat radio - you know if you need/want this one. One note is that you have to get this if you want your nav to route based on traffic conditions.

I may have forgotten an option or two that I got, but those must not be "must haves" then.

Options I didn't get, but wish I had gotten:

A.) The key case. I found out too late that if you order the key case with the car, the stitching is in the same deviated stitching which you have in the car. That would have been very nice with the carmine red stitching. Obviously not an issue if you aren't getting deviated stitching.
B.) Painted key - seemed silly at the time for $300+. But I ended up loving the Carmine Red so much that I regret not having a little bit of that with me all the time. If you get a color you love, you should get the key.

Other things to consider: Look at cars with and without the painted sideskirts. I did, and decided to order mine without painted sideskirts. The black there is a key part of the lines of the car. And, perhaps counter-intuitively, painting that does not lower this car visually, IMO. In fact it does the opposite to my eye. Just make sure you see both in person. Also, find any Porsche or Ferrari with alcantara steering wheel to try. I decided to go with the leather because I prefer the feel.

Also, consider GT silver. I really like that color on the Panamera. Again, see if you can find one to compare to the Plat Silver side by side and see which you prefer.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

great....Thanks so much I am getting super excited!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar_finally
FWIW, here are the options on my car and my impressions of them after 2 months if that helps in your research:
Nice write-up.

How about some pics?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM
2zero
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really think the best option is the LCA!! the side mirrors on this car are crazy small and the lane change assist really helps!!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM
disden
Drifting

A few thoughts

1. LCA is absolutely a MUST. This car has huge blind spots.
2. I love the way he Sport Steering wheels looks, but I am glad that I have the multi-function wheel. My car is a DD, so its nice to be able to do alot of things without having to take my hands off the wheel. If this was a car I rarely drove, would get the sport wheel with alcantara, looks awesome!
3. Turbo II wheels are awesome, look by far the best IMO.
4. Backup Camera is absolutely needed.

For me the only MUSTS where Turbo II wheels and a certain color combination. I was fortunate to find one with only a few hundred miles that they CPO'd for me, so I wasn't too worried about the other options as I knew this would be a DD of 70 miles/day.

Everything else is just personal taste. I have gotten used to the black sideskirts and kinda like them now, makes it more obvious that this is a different Panamera. Please let us know what you order.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What is LCA?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Lane Change Assist
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 AM
disden
Drifting

Nothing new to post; just wanted to say how amazing the drive was to work today because of the GTS. Have a great day all!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by disden
Nothing new to post; just wanted to say how amazing the drive was to work today because of the GTS. Have a great day all!
Now yer just bragging.

Quick Reply: Panny GTS