Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Problems and fixes in the Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:02 PM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems and fixes in the Panamera

As we have seen so far the problems seem to be shared and the Panny is definately not the most reliable car out there. Thought Id start a thread with my problems and fixed. Feel free to join in:

-Back chrome window ornaments are lose.
Fixed under warranty with new ones.

-Panamera text is bubbling.

-Sport exhaust tips oxidated.

-Oil pressure monitoring failure
Fixed with the front end electronics recall.

-Fallen off hood handle.
Waiting for it to be fixed.

-Metallic rattle from door aluminum ornament.
Fixed under warranty by adding filling.

-Squeeking ceramic brakes.
Probably no permanent fix available.

-The high pitch whistle.
It is the crack begween bootlid and roof. You can test this by placing a tape on it. If someone sits in the back the will know it comes from the back, from the front its hard to localize. Cure is change bootlid insulation under warranty and possible move rear trunk to narrow the trunk. The Flute goes away. I only changed the seal and the noise went down 90%, didnt want cosmetically to lift the boot, which seems to cure it fully.

In addition there have been major recalls:

-seat belt mount issue

-Ti-Al turbo fire hazard issue

So now they are going to change my turbos and lift the engine out because of the powerkit recall...
I also have noticed my engine vents are running almost constantly, even if it is not warm and no aircon on. Any ideas?

Last edited by kip1; 07-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 AM
PV=nRT
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Panamera recalls?

Yikes What year is your Pan? When were the recalls?

I just got my 2012 Pan hybrid in June. It was a demo, so it had 6 k miles at purchase. I haven't found any problems yet and the service records that came with car showed nothing but oil change.

Have you heard of other reports by owners of problems /recalls with the Pan? I'm still in the early, doe-y eyed love stage with my car....... gently wiping any dastardly bugs off each time I get home, analyzing parking spaces to determine the lowest risk spot within a half mile, gushing on endlessly about its fine abilities and specs.......I'm not ready for the reality that my new Porsche is merely a vehicle, with possible faults and -please forbid- That I may have to let a dealer's service department work on my new baby. Tell me it ain't so!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by PV=nRT
Yikes .......I'm not ready for the reality that my new Porsche is merely a vehicle, with possible faults and -please forbid- That I may have to let a dealer's service department work on my new baby. Tell me it ain't so!

Yes, it's just a car and yes, service will have to work on it but I hope for you it will be for service and not a major problem.I ripped a belt at 20K on my P4S and damaged some pulleys, needed a new water pump and power steering unit two weeks into my ownership. Back in the car now and it is a hoot to drive. Mile range of 740 miles after driving 60 miles at about 65-70mph brought a smile to my face. Highly efficient for an 8 cylinder, yet you can floor the pedal and it turns into an entirely different car Great car...but still a car. AS long as the fun outweighs the problems, I remain a fan

PV=nRT....long time since I saw that formula. Good one!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How are you liking the hybrid? I have my eye on one and was just wondering how it drives vs the non-hybrids.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:36 AM
PV=nRT
Rennlist Member

I love the car! It can take on so many different personas.

You can start with a well paced, but smoothly driven ride that delivers 30 +mpg with style and very soft but still secure suspension. There's tons of room front and back for adults to sit stretched out, and relax in
confort.

Just for fun now, I like to take the car out for its "exercise".
I plan out the most twisted back roads route around, put the car in sports plus mode, put on some good high energy tunes and stop only when I get to my destination or when my face muscles can't handle a huge grin anymore! I do try to find an appropriate place to play with the launch control along the way. Those runs usually end with mpg about 23-24, which is still incredible.

In Aug, I will take it to my first DE track day. It does everything, maybe not in the absolutely optimal way, but this one car can be an excellent family or executive carrier, weekend stuff hauler, track car, environmentally progressive vehicle, on road driving "toy",...............
It makes me so happy, I don't even mind washing all the time...

Didn't think anyone would get the PV=nRT , this is a good group.

If any one wants specific ? answered on options worth gettings, etc. please feel free to Pm me.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
kip1
Instructor

Mine is a 2010, powerkit installed 2011. If I remember correctly there have been about 10 workshop campaigns/recalls on my car so far.

On my 2010 audi there has been one workshop campaign that updated engine software to enhance throttle response...
Old 07-28-2012, 04:03 AM
PV=nRT
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry to hear there has been so much trouble with your yr/ model. When I was researching the pan, I saw that a number of items were problems the first year. I think Consumer Reports even rated the 2010 much lower on reliability then the '11 & '12. I had considered buying a used 2010 in April, but the various reports made me gun shy. All those repairs, recalls and poorer ratings could effect your resale value significantly, particularly as availability of other production year cars increase in the used market.

Looking at your list of repairs certainly makes me cringe. I hope PCNA has made warranty work as easy on you as possible. Have you thought about asking them to give you a VERY good deal on a new Pan and buying the not so great one back at fair market value?

Letting them know your active on social media- especially well read, key market sites like Rennlist- might give you a little more leverage in getting fair treatment in having to deal with what sounds like a poor quality car. Who wants to spend time taking a car in repeatedly for repairs? I hope it turns around for you.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:30 AM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got p4 2013. For now only 700 miles but the center console clock stopped working. Also i don't like the bose system, it plays fine from mp3 or ipod but the FM and xm is horrible. My mpg is about 15.5 in the city so far.Other than that i love this car.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just picked up my 2012 Pano S this weekend. So far the only issues I have are probably user error. Any suggestions or comments are welcome:

1) My USB memory stick is not recognized by the car. Is there a trick to this? I don't have an iPod, but might borrow one just to see if the port works.
2) The MSF button (the one between the volume control and phone button on the left side of the steering wheel) doesn't appear to work. I've changed its function via the menu, but still nothing. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zgdanska
i just got p4 2013. For now only 700 miles but the center console clock stopped working. Also i don't like the bose system, it plays fine from mp3 or ipod but the FM and xm is horrible. My mpg is about 15.5 in the city so far.Other than that i love this car.
follow up.
Computer reset and clock works fine . They will replace my bose amp and fm antenna to see if we get any improvements.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJBird993
1) My USB memory stick is not recognized by the car. Is there a trick to this? I don't have an iPod, but might borrow one just to see if the port works.
2) The MSF button (the one between the volume control and phone button on the left side of the steering wheel) doesn't appear to work. I've changed its function via the menu, but still nothing. What am I missing here?

Thanks!
Follow up: I figured out the problem with the MSF (user error). Still haven't gotten the USB to work. I guess I'll ask around the Cayenne forum. I assume that it has similar features.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
kip1
Instructor

I just picked up my 2012 Pano S this weekend. So far the only issues I have are probably user error. Any suggestions or comments are welcome:

Thanks!
I have mp3s on the usb stick, stick it in the center console and listen to music. The problem has to be your usb stick. Maybe old?

The other button (not the volume button) changes the view on your tft screen (dashboard)...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by kip1
The problem has to be your usb stick. Maybe old?
Two years old at most. USB 2.0 I have others, I guess I'll just keep trying. CDs are OK, but I got spoiled in my last two cars with the USB.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
kip1
Instructor

Two years old at most. USB 2.0 I have others, I guess I'll just keep trying. CDs are OK, but I got spoiled in my last two cars with the USB.
Then there is something wrong, it should work, actually better than in other cars Ive owned.

Quick Reply: Problems and fixes in the Panamera