Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

2012 Panamera S Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:58 PM
dhsmithsc1
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2012 Panamera S Power Steering Leak

We purchased our 2012 Panamera S in August of 2011 new from dealer in GA. At around 6000 miles we began to experience power steering problems usually indicated by extremely loud noises as the system ran dry. First fix was to replace O-ring (12/16/11 @6317 miles), second time replaced O-ring and belly pan (05/16/12 @ 14,757 miles), third time replaced O-ring (06/20/2012 @ 15,953 miles). Most miles are highway between ATL and SC coast, never tracked. PS fluid running low again, whistling noise back (which has been attributed to low PS fluid in other porsche's with PDCC.) Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2012, 05:43 PM
dhsmithsc1
5th Gear

Default Happened again...this time suddenly

Well, for any of you out there who are reading this the PS failed yesterday for the fourth time. Very frustrating as it came with no warning and almost caused an accident. Assume by lack of replies to my original post that this is unique to my Panamera. Regardless, if you happen to own a Panamera (mine is a 2012) and have had to replace the PS lines, o-rings or rack several times over, please know you aren't alone. Going to proceed with GA lemon law protection...
Old 07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

Just to confirm, your car has PDCC, right? Right now my order has PDCC on it also.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 AM
dhsmithsc1
5th Gear

Thanks for the clarification. Actually no, I do not have PDCC, I have PASM but not PDCC.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 7 Posts

You mention a whistling sound, can you describe it? I have a high-frequency mechanical or electronic whistle sound which seems to be coming from the steering wheel or dash area - it gets louder at certain highway speeds (70mph) worse when engine is warm. Can be ignored by turning the radio up.

I have a 2013 PGTS, this sound has been driving me crazy. Others have attributed this to the rear hatch seal, after reading your post wonder if it is a PS fluid level issue.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM
dhsmithsc1
5th Gear

Wow, WSJ just had an article on the GTS. Beautiful car. It may be a PS fluid level issue. Other posts for other models seem to indicate that high pitched whine can be the result of low fluid levels. One way to find out - top off your fluid level (or have your dealer do it) and see if the issue goes away.
If your levels are low I'd ask them to check all PS components and o-rings as well, make sure the are no leaks and nothing showing in the pan. Please keep me posted on what you find.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM
dhsmithsc1
5th Gear

And yes we get the same sound at certain speeds
Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, the GTS is a fantastic package - only complaint after 6000 miles is this whistling sound. Porsche service has taken a look before and found nothing, but not sure if they looked at the power steering fluid specifically. Will let you know what I find out, hoping to get it checked out this week.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM
kip1
Instructor

The whistle you are referring to, has nothing to do with power steering. It is the crack begween bootlid and roof. You can test this by placing a tape on it. If someone sits in the back the will know it comes from the back, from the front its hard to localize. Cure is change bootlid insulation under warranty and possible move rear trunk to narrow the trunk. The Flute goes away. I only changed the seal and the noise went down 90%, didnt want cosmetically to lift the boot, which seems to cure it fully.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 AM
PV=nRT
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Panamera S Power Steering Leak

See http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm for others that seem to have same problem. I believe there is a service advisory for the leaks at the o rings in the steering system.

PM re the lemon law, I'm going through the process as well and have just received my repurchase offer- different issue. Sorry you have had the trouble. Which dealer are you working with for service?

Quick Reply: 2012 Panamera S Power Steering Leak