Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

AWD or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 AM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow AWD or not ?

Hello everyone. Looks like we are getting close with my first panamera v6. My question is if we should order one with awd or not ? I do live in Chicago land are and we get snow but our streets are plowed quickly and we are not going to the mountains with it for sure. On the performance side the non awd is little slower but i am not sure about it because it is lighter car hmmm. I was going thru some posts and somebody mention that it maybe a future problem with the awd because of the location of the front drive diff in the engine case. We are planning to keep this car for a long time. Thank you for any input.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome

If you get a good price.. I would certainly go for AWD.. Call me crazy but that is all I look for in a domestic (read none race) car.. I would also pay extra for and AWD Pan.. And would be my first choice..

additionally.. I would also invest in in winter tires.. Chicago gets doozies in regards to snow storm.. Have all the confidence that nothing will stop you..winter tires don't turn to stone in cold temps.. The rubber remains flexible giving you amazing traction.. I've seen AWD card with 4 seasons loose it cause the temp was below 0..

Good luck.. Let us know what ya get..!.. And post pics and first impressions..

Matt
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the 4. I certainly wish I had been patient until the right 4S came to me. I purchased the S. it's a great car but there is a noticeable difference. I was reminded of this last week after driving v6 4 loaner last week.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:33 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Chicago - definitely get the AWD. I'm driving Cincinnati-Chicago a fair amount, and I went for AWD because of that. I'd also switch to a good set of snows for the winter, and you'll be like a snow-cat.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

awd it is ! now is the color-- white or carbon gray with a tan interior . I saw a white one with white rims . sweet combo.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zgdanska
awd it is ! now is the color-- white or carbon gray with a tan interior . I saw a white one with white rims . sweet combo.
Color is a personal choice unless you're trying to please an audience.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

looks like carbon is more classy look.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM
kip1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my car mainly for its awd, no other car that is the newest model, has 4 seats and this amount of power has it. If I would not need to drive in the snow, Id take a M5. Good that you are going for the awd. My 2 favorite colors are carbon grey and white. I have carbon grey. In white I suggest you take the sport design kit and black sport wheels, in grey the turbo ii wheels or sport design wheels. With the grey you dont need the sport design kit as it wont be visible on a dark car. The only complaint about the carbon grey was from my friend who said even fully waxed it doesnt shine, its quite matte, in a way he is right, butI wouldnt change my color. White is hard to keep white with salt, dirt etc.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kip1
I bought my car mainly for its awd, no other car that is the newest model, has 4 seats and this amount of power has it. If I would not need to drive in the snow, Id take a M5. Good that you are going for the awd. My 2 favorite colors are carbon grey and white. I have carbon grey. In white I suggest you take the sport design kit and black sport wheels, in grey the turbo ii wheels or sport design wheels. With the grey you dont need the sport design kit as it wont be visible on a dark car. The only complaint about the carbon grey was from my friend who said even fully waxed it doesnt shine, its quite matte, in a way he is right, butI wouldnt change my color. White is hard to keep white with salt, dirt etc.
looks like we have same taste. i did order the 2013 model in carbon gray with tan interior.The P4 is with bose , premium pck , dark walnut wood and vented seats. I am not sure how down the future the pasm sport suspension will be reliable but it was part of the pck.

Quick Reply: AWD or not ?