Panamera 2010-Current

Automatic Shutoff Tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:32 AM
calexand
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic Shutoff Tip

My new Panamera arrived last weekend. What an amazing machine.

One comment I had seen someone post earlier regarding the automatic engine shutoff is that it is disconcerting to have the engine turn off when you are poised waiting to turn left in the next gap in traffic or similar situation. I had the same sensation, but do like the feature in general (as much for how quiet the car becomes while sitting stopped as for fuel savings -- in fact if you are stopping to talk to someone such as at an entrance gate, having it more quiet is very helpful). So I was trying not to just turn it off.

In fact, I found a great workaround to that discomfort issue (whether it is a real delay or just a psychological one). I noticed that if you lift slightly off the brake after the engine shuts off, it will fire up again. By lifting just a little, you can even have the engine fire up again without the car ever moving. And after you have done that once, the engine will not shut off again so long as your foot remains on the brake. So you can just lift slightly once, and the engine refires and remains ready, while the default remains for it to turn off while waiting otherwise. I wanted to pass this tip on.

What I don't understand, though, is why the engine stays on when sitting in Park. You would think it would similarly shut off when left idling, until the driver finishes whatever delayed them and starts putting it in gear.

Chip

Last edited by calexand; 01-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
awryexperiment
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st: Congrats!

2nd: Good question Chip! I also wonder why the car does not auto-stop in "P". My guess was that they programmed it to work in the "D" gears only. I haven't tried but I bet it doesn't shutoff in "R" either.

Here in NJ we have laws against sitting idling for more than 15 minutes. Dumb law, very unenforceable.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The engine automatically shuts off when idling?

First I've heard of this 'feature' on the Pan.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Ronniewales
Track Day

I also have just bought a new Panamera but was wondering why would you want to keep the engine running when stopped at say lights.... I don't see the advantage of keeping it running or am i missing something?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
harlandoc
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronniewales
I also have just bought a new Panamera but was wondering why would you want to keep the engine running when stopped at say lights.... I don't see the advantage of keeping it running or am i missing something?
I think the point is that some perceive a slight delay when going from a stop to actually moving again. This was noted to be of concern particularly when making a turn at an intersection or light, when one expects an immediate response in order to avoid oncoming traffic.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Ronniewales
Track Day

but have you tried taking your foot off the brake and beating it to the accelerator before it starts..... dont think it can be done with one foot...
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
The engine automatically shuts off when idling?

First I've heard of this 'feature' on the Pan.
In ROW this feature is enabled all the time and can be turned off ( as I recall). In US, this is default to Off and must be enabled with the switch on the center console.

Details in owners manual.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:54 PM
calexand
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my (U.S.) Panamera, it happens unless I specifically disable the automatic shutoff using the switch at the bottom right of the console. Defeating it that way turns on a light next to the switch. The switch is a A with a circle around it.

As I mentioned, the discomfort when about to make a turn across traffic or etc. may be more psychological than real, but it is a little discomforting nonetheless, which is why I posted this tip. But again, I normally love how it makes the car so quiet. I think cars should be loud with lovely engine noise when accelerated, but quiet otherwise.

Chip
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
awryexperiment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ronniewales
why would you want to keep the engine running when stopped at say lights.... I don't see the advantage of keeping it running or am i missing something?
I read in some Porsche Panamera marketing material (don't recall which) that using the auto stop function will result in increased wear and premature replacement of certain engine components, e.g. ignition, starter, battery, etc...

In my opinion, it is a cost that will have to be paid either up-front in fuel bills (by disabling auto-stop) or paid at a later date in repairs bills (by using auto-stop). Considering Porsche's labor rate and parts cost, it may be cheaper to pay now for the fuel.

I also think its a dumb feature if it was meant to reduce the a person's carbon footprint. If I wanted to save the planet maybe I should have bought a Chevy Volt or maybe a bicycle. I'm sure my wife would be thrilled to get on the back of my Scwhinn!!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It sure seems like a stupid feature.

I can only assume it was implemented to achieve some CAFE or other standard?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Dan993
Instructor

This is from the AfterSales Training Manual 2010 PNA PNM 001.

My 2010 4S is default to OFF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2010 Pan Auto Start Stop.pdf (528.8 KB, 224 views)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Ronniewales
Track Day

Originally Posted by awryexperiment
I read in some Porsche Panamera marketing material (don't recall which) that using the auto stop function will result in increased wear and premature replacement of certain engine components, e.g. ignition, starter, battery, etc...

In my opinion, it is a cost that will have to be paid either up-front in fuel bills (by disabling auto-stop) or paid at a later date in repairs bills (by using auto-stop). Considering Porsche's labor rate and parts cost, it may be cheaper to pay now for the fuel.

I also think its a dumb feature if it was meant to reduce the a person's carbon footprint. If I wanted to save the planet maybe I should have bought a Chevy Volt or maybe a bicycle. I'm sure my wife would be thrilled to get on the back of my Scwhinn!!!!!
With a 3 year warranty and i will only keep the car 2 years I guess the person who buys it after me will have those problems if they occur.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

The starter has specifically been designed to tolerate extended stop/start cycling, it's design life has been increase from 50,000 cycles to 460,000+ cycles. This sort of negates concerns about lifespans for all except exclusive urban usage.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dan993
This is from the AfterSales Training Manual 2010 PNA PNM 001.

My 2010 4S is default to OFF.
Nice.

That indicates that the Auto Start Stop feature has to be activated by the driver in US and ROW cars.

What is the OP's problem then?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Randy V
Nice.

That indicates that the Auto Start Stop feature has to be activated by the driver in US and ROW cars.

What is the OP's problem then?
For MY2010 yes, for 11 and 12, it is default to ON. Whatever the setting is when the car is certified by the EPA needs to be the default when delivered.

The reason for not being enabled when in Park is a safety feature. Someone will think that their car is off, and will walk away, only to have the car start up again when the battery needs charging.

Quick Reply: Automatic Shutoff Tip