Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Automatic Shutoff Tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 2011 I set it to off and it stays off each time I start ignition. So I have not touched that button for a long time.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:49 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TGED
For my 2011 I set it to off and it stays off each time I start ignition. So I have not touched that button for a long time.
This is exactly correct.

MY '11 & '12 have the auto start/stop button arranged to be "sticky" or "last used state" when restarting the car.

MY '10 is default off and has to be activated (if desired) every time the car is re-started. If one ignores the button, MY '10 cars will behave as if they don't even have the feature.

I had a software update added to my '10 Panny Turbo to make the start/stop button "sticky" on re-starting the car, like the later cars. This software update is available from Porsche anytime your '10 Panamera is at the dealer for service. One merely has to ask for it if desired.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM
toejam357
Track Day

thanks for the tip, i noticed the same thing. However, if one wanted the benefit of shutting off the engine, why would you lift off just to fire up again?? i live in SF myself so unfortunately, the starts/stops come way too often for me.

btw, i see you have the radar cruise control, it was an option i really wanted but didn't get. how do you find it?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:21 PM
toejam357
Track Day

Originally Posted by harlandoc
I think the point is that some perceive a slight delay when going from a stop to actually moving again. This was noted to be of concern particularly when making a turn at an intersection or light, when one expects an immediate response in order to avoid oncoming traffic.
you're right about the delay...additionally, whats worse is the delay when you press the gas from a stand-still (with the motor running, not related to the start/stop function).
Old 01-28-2012, 01:09 AM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to laugh at the delay issue people are talking about. If you really want to experience delay try my 2005 Touareg. If you have your left foot on the brake and go to put your right foot on the gas, the car acts like it sends a message to Germany asking permission to move ahead. I'm talking about several seconds making a left turn in traffic an adventure. I've accommodated by never using the left foot braking in that type of situation.......too scary.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM
calexand
Track Day

Originally Posted by toejam357
thanks for the tip, i noticed the same thing. However, if one wanted the benefit of shutting off the engine, why would you lift off just to fire up again?? i live in SF myself so unfortunately, the starts/stops come way too often for me.
I normally want it, but in those unusual circumstances when I think I may need to jump out to grab a hole in oncoming traffic to turn left, it is uncomfortable to have the engine completely off. So it is just for those times, even though I usually like it.

Originally Posted by toejam357
btw, i see you have the radar cruise control, it was an option i really wanted but didn't get. how do you find it?
I love the ACC for Highway 101 traffic. It slows down and speeds up as needed without my having to constantly do so myself. To me, slogging in that sort of traffic is not really driving and has little pleasure, so reducing fatigue by just having to monitor the car instead of speeding it up a little, slowing it down, etc. etc. is very nice.

Quick Reply: Automatic Shutoff Tip