Panamera V6 vs 740i

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
KennethP
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Panamera V6 vs 740i

Hi Everyone,

It's lease time and after test driving tons of cars; I've narrowed my car choices down to the Panamera V6 or the 740i. I like both alot but I'm still on the fence. The biggest factor is cost. I have an offer for the 740i at $799+tax/month and an offer for $1298+tax/month on the Panamera. The Panamera is in the lead in terms of rarity and dealer experience. Dealing with the BMW people feels like shopping at Wal-Mart. I also think the drive and interior of the Panamera is more engaging. While many aren't fans of the Panamera's look; I like that it stands out. Another plus is the Panamera lease has 12k miles per year vs 10k on the BMW. I tend to be more conservative with spending but I'm feeling like the P-Car experience might be worth the extra $500 per month. I'm only interested in six cylinder models because my commute to work is a a short highway stint that's littered with state troopers. I did test drive the Turbo for sh*ts and giggles; what a car!!! Thanks for all comments in advance.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

of those 2 - I would go with the bmw. drove the P6 and although its interior is simply gorgeous, it felt under powered on the road. I would quickly tire of it.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Ronniewales
Track Day

I would go for the panni it turns heads and its such a nice car to drive. I have the diesel but i guess fuel costs are not a big issue in the USA as they are in the UK where we pay one of the highest prices in the world for fuel.

Mine is 10 days old and in the 1st 750 miles i have returned an average fuel consumption of 37.2 Mpg (UK Galls) which is a lot better than my previous Jaguar XF 3.0 Diesel which averaged 31.0 Mpg.

I drove the V6 and there was no performance difference between that and the diesel.

So good luck in making the right decision and lets hope its the panni
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche has a deal for $999 a month lease right now. 10,000. Fortunately for me my wife does not want a car with I-drive. So for now Porsche is the only solution :-).
Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 PM
KennethP
4th Gear

PasPar2: My butt dyno is pretty numb; I'm more into the appointments and gadgets. Also not a fan of iDrive. Pluse the hatch design is pretty versatile.

RonnieW: I'm a huge fan of diesel. I would've def bought a Panamera diesel if I had the option here in the US. Love your configuration by the way.

Roberga: I saw that deal but they want like $7500 due at signing. My lease is only $2500 due at signing with 12k/year. It's funny the S7 is what pushed me towards the Panamera. I was gunning for that at first but Audi wanted a around $6k down and the monthly went sky high for extra miles and my wife said for that kind of money we should check out the Panamera. I guess BMW is so cheap because of the factory incentives, but the people at the dealership suck. I think I'd be happy with either car. The Panamera I want is on the lot. My saleperson over at BMW is still trying to find the 740i with the configuration I want. I want to do one more back to back test drive before I commit. Hopefully, I can add some pictures to this thread within a day or two.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Pan V6 has one less seat, smaller trunk, and slower than 740.

Yes, it is more unique, and will handle better, but I will not pay $500 more per month for it.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Ronniewales
Track Day

So is diesel not an option in the USA market?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 PM
dochusar
Advanced

For me, it is the panamera hands down. I simply need 4 wheel drive an the 740i is available in rear wheel drive.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 PM
KennethP
4th Gear

RonnieW: Sadly we don't get the diesel option in the US.

Targa Tim: That's an interesting opinion coming from a current owner and obvious Porsche aficionado. The four seats won't be a problem; my current car has a fifth seat that's never used. I rarely take advantage of a large trunk so it's not a factor for me. What made the Panamera worth it for you? I'm sure there where other contenders for the sedan position.

Dochusar: The AWD is def a plus for the Panamera considering the Audi was my initial first choice.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Panamera FTW!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by KennethP
Targa Tim: That's an interesting opinion coming from a current owner and obvious Porsche aficionado. The four seats won't be a problem; my current car has a fifth seat that's never used. I rarely take advantage of a large trunk so it's not a factor for me. What made the Panamera worth it for you? I'm sure there where other contenders for the sedan position.
As a sport sedan, the Panamera is definitely a lot more sport than sedan. Consider it closer to a stretched 911, than a BMW 7 series or Mecedes S class.

It is perfect if you don't need 5 seats. As a 4 seaters, each individual seat is very comfortable.

The small trunk is quite a disappointment. If you need to pick up someone from the airport, they better not have a big luggage, as a big size luggage (depends on its shape) may or may not fit in the trunk.

I bought the Pan4 for my wife and 3 kids to use. She wants something that is sporty to drive. The Pan4 is not our family car, the Cayenne is.

For someone that will only have one sedan in household as an all purpose car, I will recommend one with more space for the same money.

There were no other sedans that we were cross shopping. We all got Porsche in our blood...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
drjsuh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Panamera. I just bought a v6 two months ago and couldn't be happier. I thought I would miss the extra power I had in my last two sedans (Audi RS6 and S6), but for the type of driving that I do now I actually appreciate the MPG of the Panamera (I consistently averaged only about 12-14MPG with my last two audis and have been getting about 20 MPG with the panny so far). The only somewhat negative about the Panamera for me has been its sheer size. While it doesn't drive like a big car, I have always personally preferred mid-sized german cars (i.e. a6/a7, e-class, 5 series) as I live in an urban area and now struggle to fit into any parking spots. Also, as others have mentioned they are just so much more exclusive then BMWs. Here in the SF Bay Area BMWs are like Toyotas, while I get comments/questions about the Panamera every time I take it out.

Quick Reply: Panamera V6 vs 740i