Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?

Loving the new GTS, but as I play with the configurator realize that I can probably get a 2010 Turbo for almost the same price. Maybe in 6 months the 2011s start dropping into range.

Thoughts? Get new GTS or go used Turbo?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM
743CO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions!!

I would look at it from 2 perspectives:

1. Used Turbo will save you money in the long run; Already some depreciation absorbed.

2. Much higher performance and fun factor. Once you drive a Turbo, there is no going back.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Tanger,

In similar quandry - GTS or Turbo - looking at both new. Love the look and interior of the GTS versus the Turbo. But love the performance of the Turbo. Driven the Turbo, the 4S and S, back to back to back a few weeks back, then drove the 4S and the Turbo again.

Now I only have eyes for the Turbo. I think you can get a 2011 Turbo now for less than a GTS will cost initially, as I don't expect much discounting from dealers in the near term. There are 2010 Turbos as low as $107k with 14k miles (McKenna Porsche S. Calif) CPO. That particular car's color combo does not appeal to me, but that is a great deal for a $144k MSRP car, with 4 years and 86k of warranty left!

I think I will end up with a new M5 or a new PTT. But the GTS will be more than the 4S or the S, but I just don't think it will be "enough" to hold my interest.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I can't imagine there are too many used turbo models yet?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:28 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

surprisingly, there are quite a few...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Here is exactly what I am looking for (PCCBs would be nice tho everything else is spec'd exactly how I would want it). Any differences between 2010 and 2011? Bonus if anyone else knows of this dealer and reputation...

http://www.foreign-traffic.com/ideta...php?AutoID=977
Old 12-21-2011, 02:49 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tanger
Here is exactly what I am looking for (PCCBs would be nice tho everything else is spec'd exactly how I would want it). Any differences between 2010 and 2011? Bonus if anyone else knows of this dealer and reputation...

http://www.foreign-traffic.com/ideta...php?AutoID=977
If spec'd exactly how you want it I would focus on price and try and make a deal. Would be nice if you could get it CPO'd

I think $115k is fair, no CPO and $120k with CPO. Check out in service date so you see how much warranty you are getting.

Otherwise that is a very nice car.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Anyone know if that front license plate holder comes off or are there permanent holes drilled into the bumper now?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

License plate bracket = Permanent holes. New bumper cover is only 830 dollars plus paint matching...lol.

I would honestly go for the used Turbo over the GTS. Get H&R's ETS system to lower it just a little and add some sportier handling parameters to the air ride control unit. Sounds like a win-win to me!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Depends what you're looking for. If you value power and acceleration over precision and response, then get the Turbo. If you're more joe a 'purist' and interested in a car that connects with you and the road, get the GTS. You won't get the sound and feel from the Turbo that you will from the GTS. I'm a big fan of being connected to the car, and don't need 500+ HP on the streets, so I'm a GTS fan. May get one instead of the F10 M5.

I actually like the GTS interior and exterior much better than any 2010 Turbo due to the alcantara sport seats and the black-out treatment, esp the side-sills. The seats should be much cooler in the summer without the ventilation. I also like the fact that you have a lot of features that will be incorporated into the 2013 Panamera - 'Sound Symposer', remapped ECU for better response, bigger engine and brakes.

You will definitely make out better financially getting the 2010 Turbo though.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:38 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Maybe a stupid question, why do you say the GTS will be more precise and responsive than the PTT? Just comparing the specs, not a whole lot of differences. Maybe will just have to wait and drive them back to back to fully grasp the differences...

Good news is that there's really no real rush, GTS's aren't out until [mid 2012?], and the used car market isn't getting any more expensive...

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Depends what you're looking for. If you value power and acceleration over precision and response, then get the Turbo. If you're more joe a 'purist' and interested in a car that connects with you and the road, get the GTS. You won't get the sound and feel from the Turbo that you will from the GTS. I'm a big fan of being connected to the car, and don't need 500+ HP on the streets, so I'm a GTS fan. May get one instead of the F10 M5.

I actually like the GTS interior and exterior much better than any 2010 Turbo due to the alcantara sport seats and the black-out treatment, esp the side-sills. The seats should be much cooler in the summer without the ventilation. I also like the fact that you have a lot of features that will be incorporated into the 2013 Panamera - 'Sound Symposer', remapped ECU for better response, bigger engine and brakes.

You will definitely make out better financially getting the 2010 Turbo though.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
License plate bracket = Permanent holes. New bumper cover is only 830 dollars plus paint matching...lol.
Just use Bumper Plugs - cheap and easy (and he's a Rennlist Sponsor)

http://www.bumperplugs.com/
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by tanger
Maybe a stupid question, why do you say the GTS will be more precise and responsive than the PTT? Just comparing the specs, not a whole lot of differences. Maybe will just have to wait and drive them back to back to fully grasp the differences...

Good news is that there's really no real rush, GTS's aren't out until [mid 2012?], and the used car market isn't getting any more expensive...
Not stupid at all - actually a really good question. The GTS will be more responsive and precise for several reasons.

First, you have a normally aspirated engine, so the response to throttle inputs will be much better. Yes, Porsche has done a great job in reducing turbo lag, but it's still a turbo and can't compare with a top-notch NA engine.

Second, The GTS engine has a new ECU map that improves throttle response and uses a new program to increase the PDK shift speeds.

Third, you have a stiffer suspension setting under 'sport plus' - and a 10mm lower ride height than the 'Sport Plus' setting on the Turbo. This will give you better feel for the road, and flatter more precise cornering, braking and transitions.

Third, you have a lighter car. The lighter a car, the more easily it transitions, and responds to inputs from the throttle and brakes. With the same brakes as the Turbo, this means better braking performance, both from a stopping distance, and from a modulation standpoint.

My guess is that on most racetracks, their track times will be pretty close. The turbo will pull away on the straights, but the GTS will catch up under braking and through the turns. My guess is that the GTS will be a lot easier to drive at the limit, and a lot more fun.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:56 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Not stupid at all - actually a really good question. The GTS will be more responsive and precise for several reasons.

First, you have a normally aspirated engine, so the response to throttle inputs will be much better. Yes, Porsche has done a great job in reducing turbo lag, but it's still a turbo and can't compare with a top-notch NA engine.

Second, The GTS engine has a new ECU map that improves throttle response and uses a new program to increase the PDK shift speeds.

Third, you have a stiffer suspension setting under 'sport plus' - and a 10mm lower ride height than the 'Sport Plus' setting on the Turbo. This will give you better feel for the road, and flatter more precise cornering, braking and transitions.

Third, you have a lighter car. The lighter a car, the more easily it transitions, and responds to inputs from the throttle and brakes. With the same brakes as the Turbo, this means better braking performance, both from a stopping distance, and from a modulation standpoint.

My guess is that on most racetracks, their track times will be pretty close. The turbo will pull away on the straights, but the GTS will catch up under braking and through the turns. My guess is that the GTS will be a lot easier to drive at the limit, and a lot more fun.
All good points - but end of the day I have no interest in taking a Panamera to the racetrack, so in the real world in most situation the Turbo will be a better all around car (as it should be for the extra price).

Now if they made a Panamara S with the GTS packagae, then you could add great steering feel and input to your list, now that would be an engaging and fun car to own and drive everyday. The GTS is only 110 lbs lighter than the Turbo, better but not much - the S is over 400 lbs lighter - now that is a big difference.

The GTS or the Turbo will be great cars to own and drive everyday. I hope we can all get the one that fits us best.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:19 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by supercup
All good points - but end of the day I have no interest in taking a Panamera to the racetrack, so in the real world in most situation the Turbo will be a better all around car (as it should be for the extra price).

Now if they made a Panamara S with the GTS packagae, then you could add great steering feel and input to your list, now that would be an engaging and fun car to own and drive everyday. The GTS is only 110 lbs lighter than the Turbo, better but not much - the S is over 400 lbs lighter - now that is a big difference.

The GTS or the Turbo will be great cars to own and drive everyday. I hope we can all get the one that fits us best.

Merry Christmas to all!
I have no intention of taking the Panamera to the track either. But after driving a 500+ HP car for 130,000 miles, the kick in the backside you get after punching the throttle isn't a high priority for me. I think the GTS will be a lot more fun to drive on the street than the Turbo. I do agree that if they made a rwd GTS, that would be even more fun, but I need a car I can take on long trips through the snow belt in wintertime...

Quick Reply: Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?