Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
rzeagle@yahoo.com
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tanger - had the same exact dilemma and just pulled the trigger on a 2010 turbo. Loved the GTS look and options but in the end found a turbo optioned exactly how I wanted for close to 30% of MSRP and only 18 months old.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

That's where I'm leaning - so love the data point! The long search begins...

Originally Posted by rzeagle@yahoo.com
Tanger - had the same exact dilemma and just pulled the trigger on a 2010 turbo. Loved the GTS look and options but in the end found a turbo optioned exactly how I wanted for close to 30% of MSRP and only 18 months old.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm in the same boat and as of now I am leaning towards the GTS. I currently have a 997 TT and it's tough to use the full power where I live. I would rather have the suspension and other goodies with a NA engine. The problem is that I will be able to spend less on a CPO 2010/2011 PTT as the GTS I am building is about 125-130K where I will be able to get a CPO for 110-120K come the spring/summer when I will be in the market.

Waiting for some reviews, etc. on the GTS.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I'm in the same boat and as of now I am leaning towards the GTS. I currently have a 997 TT and it's tough to use the full power where I live. I would rather have the suspension and other goodies with a NA engine. The problem is that I will be able to spend less on a CPO 2010/2011 PTT as the GTS I am building is about 125-130K where I will be able to get a CPO for 110-120K come the spring/summer when I will be in the market.

Waiting for some reviews, etc. on the GTS.
Just ordered the GTS, and I'll be really interested to read the reviews. I'm thinking it will give the Turbo a run for it's money on the track. It's not quite as quick in a straight line, but should make up for that in braking (same brakes, but lighter, lower and stiffer sprung car), and cornering/transitions (again, lighter, lower and stiffer sprung car). I'll bet it's quicker on some tracks.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

I ordered a GTS as well. Daily driven an M5 since 1988. Always had a Porsche as well. Currently have a 997 Turbo Cab.

Still considering new M5, but no information when it will be out yet in US. Still considering Panny Turbo also. Drove Turbo and 4S back to back, prefer the Turbo poewr, but not sure if I want a $170k daily driver?

Hard to argue with the total package of the GTS, looks, extra performance, cool interior and it is as fast as my 06 M5 that is departing. So maybe it will do the trick.

Have bought 4 911's (2 Turbo, 1 GT2 and 1 GT3 RS) from Dealer and they said we have allocations available so order exacty what you want and we will order it for you. Drive it when it comes in and if you want it take it, if not, we know it will sell and would love to order you Turbo Panamera instead. Couldn't argue with that offer, so I checked the boxes.

An interesting note I then went on configurator just to see how much a 4S with all the same options would be. It came out to be about $6k more for the 4S than the GTS and you would not get the cool Carmine Red stiched interior, the Turbo brakes, suspension or wing - so the GTS is a value.

They said car would be a February build so it should be here in late March or early April. It will be one cool car, but will it be fast enough???
Old 01-06-2012, 02:52 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Just curious, what are dealers charging on the GTS? MSRP?

Originally Posted by supercup
I ordered a GTS as well. Daily driven an M5 since 1988. Always had a Porsche as well. Currently have a 997 Turbo Cab.

Still considering new M5, but no information when it will be out yet in US. Still considering Panny Turbo also. Drove Turbo and 4S back to back, prefer the Turbo poewr, but not sure if I want a $170k daily driver?

Hard to argue with the total package of the GTS, looks, extra performance, cool interior and it is as fast as my 06 M5 that is departing. So maybe it will do the trick.

Have bought 4 911's (2 Turbo, 1 GT2 and 1 GT3 RS) from Dealer and they said we have allocations available so order exacty what you want and we will order it for you. Drive it when it comes in and if you want it take it, if not, we know it will sell and would love to order you Turbo Panamera instead. Couldn't argue with that offer, so I checked the boxes.

An interesting note I then went on configurator just to see how much a 4S with all the same options would be. It came out to be about $6k more for the 4S than the GTS and you would not get the cool Carmine Red stiched interior, the Turbo brakes, suspension or wing - so the GTS is a value.

They said car would be a February build so it should be here in late March or early April. It will be one cool car, but will it be fast enough???
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by tanger
Just curious, what are dealers charging on the GTS? MSRP?
I have a very good relationship with the dealer and they gave me 6% on an ordered GTS. MSRP $123,540, selling price $116,127. They're a great shop, plus they guarantee the engine/drivetrain for the life of the vehicle if you service it with them. My friend just had his Boxster engine replaced after 65K miles.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 AM
kip1
Instructor

Nice that so many guys are going for the GTS!

To the OP, I think the differnce between these two cars are the GTS is more track oriented (if a Panny can ever be) and the turbo is more of a luxury rocket. ALso a new one, eith new car smell and just the way you like it or a used someone elses car. But the differences are REALLY SMALL and they both look outstanding.

Just to comment a few things posted earlier:

Weight: 1920kg vs 1970kg. The Panamera turbo has a 100 liter tank, having that full or almost empty makes a bigger diffrence allready. Also you might then discuss if you should dump the awd and get a Panamera S with 1770kg. Im AWD all the way and think if you really want to track the car, both are capable, but from my experience the PDCC + LSD and PCCB are the main thigs that really make this car feel like a sportscar.

Turbo lag: This comes with turbo, but on the upside the once it kicks in, the pull is tremendous. ALso you can virtually get rid of turbo lag with the powerkit turbos.

Ride hight: The Panamera turbo is exactly at the same height as the GTS, the diffrence is only in NORMAL mode.

I myself as a PTT owner would off course go for the used turbo, even though the GTS was not out there at the moment of my desicion. It was also an important desciding factor that I found a car that was very similar to what I would have wanted, but could not afford as new. I love the turbo torque and now that it has no lag with the powerkit (compared to the 997.1 tt) it really feels like an N/A engine.

Good luck on your choice, you will be happy whatever you choose.

Last edited by kip1; 01-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
kip1
Instructor

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Third, you have a stiffer suspension setting under 'sport plus' - and a 10mm lower ride height than the 'Sport Plus' setting on the Turbo. This will give you better feel for the road, and flatter more precise cornering, braking and transitions.
I think you have understod this incorrectly. The GTS has a ride height 10mm lower than all other Panameras in NORMAL mode, but the car only goes down 15mm in sport plus:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/ipa...era_GTS-uk.pdf

The turbo goes 25mm down in sport plus, so the ride height is exactly the same in sport plus.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...LuftF&pool=usa
Old 01-09-2012, 05:45 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by kip1
I think you have understod this incorrectly. The GTS has a ride height 10mm lower than all other Panameras in NORMAL mode, but the car only goes down 15mm in sport plus:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/ipa...era_GTS-uk.pdf

The turbo goes 25mm down in sport plus, so the ride height is exactly the same in sport plus.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...LuftF&pool=usa
Yes, meant to say 'Sport Mode' to take advantage of the better sound from the Sport Exhaust and 'Sound Symposer' and quicker throttle and shift response. Sport Plus is probably a bit much for the street. I'll be doing 95% of my driving in Sport mode, so nice to have the lower height.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM
kip1
Instructor

Originally Posted by umwolverine
Yes, meant to say 'Sport Mode' to take advantage of the better sound from the Sport Exhaust and 'Sound Symposer' and quicker throttle and shift response. Sport Plus is probably a bit much for the street. I'll be doing 95% of my driving in Sport mode, so nice to have the lower height.
I am sure you are going to love the GTS and AWD is just real life security, but you are right sport plus mode really puts stress on the tires and I rarely use it. Sport mode just gives you the right gear, when you needed it and is more funl in normal life and actually as it drops the start-stop I think it saves the engine too. Most Panny owners seem to drive in sport mode constantly, but I must admit our weather is so crappy here most of the year that I confess driving mostly in comfort mode as it gives a quite decent range and its delivery is 9 out of ten times totally enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

Default pana gts

I have ordered a pana gts as I think the everyday driving will be more fun than a turbo. I have had two cayenne turbos but currently my wife drives out new cayenne s with spirt exhaust. I love our new s better than both turbos. Sounds great, great pickup. I'm sure the new turbos are awesome but for everyday driving, I think the s is the way to go. Obviously the gts will be even better. My gts is to deliver early April. Selling my 98 993
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by shldrdoc993
I have ordered a pana gts as I think the everyday driving will be more fun than a turbo. I have had two cayenne turbos but currently my wife drives out new cayenne s with spirt exhaust. I love our new s better than both turbos. Sounds great, great pickup. I'm sure the new turbos are awesome but for everyday driving, I think the s is the way to go. Obviously the gts will be even better. My gts is to deliver early April. Selling my 98 993
I think the GTS will be the most entertaining car to drive every day for sure. They have made a number of changes that are unique to the GTS - specifically the higher revving n.a. engine, larger air intakes, the Sound Symposer and revision to the PDK software to give an even better exhaust note. Evidently they have also modified the 4WD to give more rear wheel bias for the GTS and they have modified the PDK to give even quicker shifts. Here's a recent quote:

"It's really fun to drive," said Porsche's head of research and development, Wolfgang Hatz, also confirming there are various software changes including revisions to the four-wheel-drive system to give it more rear bias, as well as faster, harder gear shifts through the standard seven-speed PDK twin-clutch automatic.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

I'm sure the Panny GTS is good, but not THAT good...

Originally Posted by shldrdoc993
...Selling my 98 993
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

I know it's killing me to sell my 993 it's awesome car. Only drove 1300 miles on it last year. Need another four door car in family as oldest child has license Now. If I could convince wife to have four cars one for her and three basically for me it would be on a lift above my pana gts. My 993 at "Sloan " as one of their new arrivals. 98 cab triple black

Quick Reply: Opinions Pls! New Panny GTS or Used Panny Turbo?