Panamera 2010-Current

Distorted windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Distorted windshield?

I had the windshield on my Panamera 4 replaced due to a bad scratch made by the wiper. I noticed on both windshields there is a very subtle rippling effect. I don't know if this is considered a defect. I have to really pay attention to notice it, most often I have to focus on an object on nod my head in order to notice it. On my other two vehicles I don't notice anything like this .When I googled 'distorted windshield' I found this is not all that uncommon and can happen to any brand, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Mazda..... There may not be a solution, someone even replaced the windshield several times and they all showed the same effect. Is this considered a 'normal characteristic' for this type of windshield? I will probably go back to the dealer's service department. Perhaps I should check out some of their instock Panameras. Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 PM
743CO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GT3 Had Bad Windshield

My 2005 GT3 had the windshield replaced due to 'wavey' images. The dealer had no problem doing the replacement under warranty.

Cheers, JohnnyB
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM
TGED
Instructor

I've emailed the service person. I'll bring in the car to show him. As the distortion is not that apparent, I hope he can see what I see. Not everyone can notice the distortion, and it probably bothers different people to a different degree. I am sure a lot of windshields have this problem without being noticed. If the issue affects a batch of windshields, I hope he can find me a defect free windshield.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM
TGED
Instructor

I brought in the car to the dealer today. Both the shop foreman and the service manager came to check the windshield. The shop foreman noticed the issue right away, but the service manager (an older gentleman) could not see it. The effect is best described as a subtle crosshatch pattern across the entire windshield, say when you are driving, the roof line of the car in front becomes a little fussy, especially when you move your head up and down slightly. It is one of those things that might take you a while to notice it, but once you know it's there you see it all the time. Anyway they have to notify Porsche Canada, and most likely the windshield has to be replaced. This will be 2nd replacement and the car has only 1200kms. The shop foreman said he may even have to order a few windshields in order to pick a 'good' one. I don't believe mine is the only car affected. Perhaps our forum members should check their windshield as well.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:35 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar issue with a new rental vehicle (non Porsche) and it drove me crazy. I can't imagine trying to live with it on my personal car. Hope the dealer is able to source a distortion free windshield for you.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 PM
TGED
Instructor

Porsche Canada has now authorized a new windshield. My dealer had placed the order. They suggest that I go in to examine the new windshield before it is installed. But I am not sure how I can do this, because the distortion is more apparent in an outdoor setting and under certain lighting conditions.

Quick Reply: Distorted windshield?