Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Ouch! Scratched windshield on new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ouch! Scratched windshield on new car

I got a scratch on my windshield, the wiper must have picked up something as the scratch is an perfect arc. The car was only 2 weeks old, my dealer referred a glass repair service technician to my house to "try" to repair it, as my only other alternative was to replace the windshield. It took the glass guy almost 2 hours to sand and polish away the scratch, the glass looks and feels completely translucent, smooth and perfect from the outside. However, looking from inside, in daylight, I can notice a bit of optical distortion in the form of very slight graininess on the area that was worked on. It did take me a few days to notice it. But as you know, once I know it's there I look for it every time. I am trying to get the guy back next week to polish it some more. Otherwise, I will need to replace the windshield but I am worry that it may cause rattles, wind noise, leakage..etc. My dealer said they just did a windshield replacement on another Panamera and it's no big deal. Any suggestions? Does anyone have similar experience.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something to consider: Porsche glass is treated (nano-technology?) with some sort of coating to reduce dirt/dust adherence and to improve shedding of water. Polishing will remove that coating?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting! My wife told me she could see micro scratches on my windshield in the direction of the wipers. I told her it was just dirty. Saw your post only to find she was right. Lots of nice scratches, mostly on the drivers side. Looks as the wipers on the driver's side barely sits flat and the blade inserts have the thinnest peice of rubber I have ever seen on a car! I have never seen this on any other car I have had?!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 PM
TGED
Instructor

According to the owner's manual, the water repellent coating is only on the front side windows, and the coating can be re-applied by the dealer from time to time. The windshield does not have any coating, this makes sense as the actions of the wipers will probably rub off anything on it.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

If you go to a reputable shop - do the research, the window replacement should not be a big deal and you should have insurance cover some of the expense depending on your deductible - I have replaced three windshields from rock chips, etc. and a branch falling on the car scratching the surface with no issues..

Make sure they have the windshiled adhesive "cures" up for at least 24 hours after inserting the new OEM windshield.....you should have no creaks, wind noise etc, if they did the job right with the OEM windshield.....

I have replaced a 993,996 and Mercedes S class with no issues once I found a good shop which was an independent.......insist on OEM parts including the seals..............
Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 AM
TGED
Instructor

Further polishing did not help to reduce the distortion, now I am seriously considering a new windshield, I will need to find out from my dealer Pfaff Porsche in Canada to see how they handle windshield replacement. I know they just replaced a windshield on a Panamera recently, at $1275CAD(ouch again). I assume they used all Porsche parts.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Get a quote from a local windshield repair facility. Windshield replacements are typically contracted out by the dealers and they usually simply double the price!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
TGED
Instructor

Too late now, my car went in yesterday at the dealership and got the windshield replaced, I still think it is better to get it done at the dealership even though they use an outside installer. Because when it is done through the dearlership they are responsible for any issues later. I did discussed with them about my concerns and they seemed to have done a good job when I picked up the car tonight. They said they had left it indoor overnight to let the adhesive to set properly. Prior to the job I talked to the service manager about my hesitation to get it done since the car was so new, less than 900 kms. They said they had used the same installer for many years with no issues and he had already done a few Panameras.

Quick Reply: Ouch! Scratched windshield on new car