Panamera 2010-Current

Advice for a buyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Ape
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phonetics
given the round shape of the car in general, i would avoid any brown tone at all.. it makes the car look like a piece of shxt.. actually carbon grey is a good color itself, but does not look good on panamera and it makes the car look dirty and dusty when bad weather.. i ordered basalt black + black for mine and the only alternative i have considered is white + black...
OK
Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by phonetics
given the round shape of the car in general, i would avoid any brown tone at all.. it makes the car look like a piece of shxt.. actually carbon grey is a good color itself, but does not look good on panamera and it makes the car look dirty and dusty when bad weather.. i ordered basalt black + black for mine and the only alternative i have considered is white + black...
The Carbon Gray has been very popular and looks fantastic. So does the Mahogany and especially the Topaz. Color choice is a personal preference what looks ****ty or dirty to you others may not agree. Go see the colors yourself and decide.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Placed the order today

Got 90% of the discount I had wanted and decided to get the car, signed the order and left a deposit this morning.

Platinum Silver, Black standard interior with 14 way power seats and Aluminum trim. PDCC with air suspension, sport chrono, Bose, heated steering wheel, 19 inch turbo wheels,variable power assist steering,Bluetooth,Ipod adapter, XM radio.
Now, the waiting. Thanks for the advice everyone....good to be back in the fold after 4 years without a Porsche...
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Dan993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to rethink the variable power steering. It actually makes the steering lighter and removes some of the feel IMHO. I ordered without.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Ape
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan993
You might want to rethink the variable power steering. It actually makes the steering lighter and removes some of the feel IMHO. I ordered without.
Mine has it and I still cant decide if it would be better without......It's only at slow speeds that I can feel the variable power steering at work, once your moving it's a non-issue
Old 12-30-2009, 05:23 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

I found the steering to be great on the one I tested which did have the variable assist and I was struck with how easy it was to park this large car. I think it really helps at low speeds, plus its the least expensive option there is at $270.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

I forgot to mention that I also got the Sports exhaust. I bought it because of all the great things people have said about it on this board and elsewhere, seemed like a splurge but then what part of buying a car for 110K is not a splurge? Hope it sounds as good as it should for that price....
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

You will like it.. it was on the loaner I had, and it is throaty without being boy racer. I have PSE on my 997 too.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dadc4s
I forgot to mention that I also got the Sports exhaust. I bought it because of all the great things people have said about it on this board and elsewhere, seemed like a splurge but then what part of buying a car for 110K is not a splurge? Hope it sounds as good as it should for that price....
i doubt you will ever regret that option = the one i drove for a few days had the exhaust - and so nice.

with the silver exterior you should splurge on the silver seat belts - i have them on my Boxster and they are a nice subtle touch.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

The whole car is a splurge, I think enough is enough for me. I did have red belts on a Silver on black Boxster S I owned but I feel the Panamera is a different kind of car. Its more subtle and that's mostly why I didn't get the Porsche crests embossed in the headrests, or the painted crests on the wheel centers or some other things that I have gotten on prior Porsches sports cars.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:50 PM
tc4542
Intermediate

I agree with Dan not to order the VPA option, drove one the other day with it and didn't like it at all. I don't like the steering to vary and it makes it feel way too light. I was scared to push it for a while due to this reason. We had a lengthy discussion at the dealership after test driving concerning this subject, being used to a Ruf 550 and a 997TT I'm sure didn't help...

Now if your wife is going to drive it, especially as a DD, then it's probably a good idea.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 PM
dadc4s
Instructor

I liked the varable assist, I was really impressed with how easy it was to park and maneuver such a large car with it. The steering felt fine to me at speed..time will tell but for only $270 it made sense to me. It's not something I would ever have considered on a sportscar, but again, the Panamera is a different beast and it just seems to work well with the VPA. Nice to have the option either way as only Porsche would do...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 PM
zgdanska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pdk or not ?

Looks like i have most of the questions answered . My last item is the pdk. It a free option but i am not sure if i should get for my v6. Please let me know what is the difference. thank you again.
ps. i am getting the 2013 model.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Color is a matter of personal choices, I think that silver, black, white cars are too pedestrian. These colors are so common that they come across like a fleet of rental cars. My car is Topaz brown metallic with Luxor Beige/cream interior and the walnut interior package. The comments I receive are complimentary so I guess it doesn't look like your definition.

Quick Reply: Advice for a buyer