Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

all season tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts
Default all season tires

just ordered panamera and dealer offered all season or summer tires for 19" rims as no cost option. living in ny i opted for all season but have no info as to what size, brand, etc. cant find any info at tire websites about all season tires in pana sizes. anyone know about this?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Let us know when they come how they handle. I debated and went for changing tires, based on the past when I used summer performance tires and rain tires on the track, and there was a considerable difference. My dealer will store them for me.
BUT I don't know how the new all season tires recomended by Porsche perform.
I can't remember the name of the all seasons because I had not heard of them. Your dealer can tell you. If you find it out. Post it as I'd like to google a review.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
just ordered panamera and dealer offered all season or summer tires for 19" rims as no cost option. living in ny i opted for all season but have no info as to what size, brand, etc. cant find any info at tire websites about all season tires in pana sizes. anyone know about this?
if you are buying the all season tires because you are interested in better traction in the winter on snowy and icey roads, then you are wasting your money. there have been multiple articles in car mags comparing summer performance tires, all season tires and winter/snow tires and their respective abilities to stop and handle in dry and wet and snowy conditions. their conclusions were always the same-the summer tires were very similar to the all season in snowy/icey roads, whereas the winter tires stopped and handled significantly better than the all season and summer tires. what i would recommend is to take the summer tires from your dealer and to buy from someone like tire rack 4 winter tires for the winter. the only use that i could see for all season tires would be if you lived in a warmer climate and you were not performance oriented and you wanted to get more miles out of your tires than summer tires offered.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
tvandegarde
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a C4S on order that will come with the summer tires on it. I ordered a second set of wheels with snow tires on them from the factory. My dealer gave them to me at cost. I should be set for the winter!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tvandegarde
I have a C4S on order that will come with the summer tires on it. I ordered a second set of wheels with snow tires on them from the factory. My dealer gave them to me at cost. I should be set for the winter!
You are set for the winter. That is the way to do it
Old 12-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Spend 100K on a car - spend a little more and get real winter tires - safer, better. In summer enjoy the outstanding performance of the Panamera on high performance summer tires which outperform no-season tires by a huge margin. You paid for the handling, why compromise it with compromise tires which do nothing well?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 PM
tvandegarde
Intermediate

The summer tires are going to be on spyder wheels and the winter tires are on a set of turbo wheels. I like the look of both wheels so I'll spend part of the year with each.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

all seasons and awd are fine for nyc suburban driving. have them on audi a8 and just got thru past week of 18" snow no problem. had dedicated snows on a mini and for audi s4 and not worth hassle for my purposes anymore.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by docjackson1
if you are buying the all season tires because you are interested in better traction in the winter on snowy and icey roads, then you are wasting your money. there have been multiple articles in car mags comparing summer performance tires, all season tires and winter/snow tires and their respective abilities to stop and handle in dry and wet and snowy conditions. their conclusions were always the same-the summer tires were very similar to the all season in snowy/icey roads, whereas the winter tires stopped and handled significantly better than the all season and summer tires. what i would recommend is to take the summer tires from your dealer and to buy from someone like tire rack 4 winter tires for the winter. the only use that i could see for all season tires would be if you lived in a warmer climate and you were not performance oriented and you wanted to get more miles out of your tires than summer tires offered.
Had to ADD to this post. Winter tires are absolutely better than Summers and all seasons ON Snow and ICE, BUT and a big BUT is that if you are on dry pavement in the winter, let's say 25 degrees and dry, Winter tires are going to screw you in stopping power. See my post uner the Tire section and the research I did with articles to find what everyone is not pointing out about what you lose with Winter tires in the Winter!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:44 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
I saw on Tirerack that they may be Contis

Quick Reply: all season tires