Cold Weather Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Cold Weather Tires?

I've ordered a Panamera Turbo with 20" wheels that should arrive while the snow is still flying here in Ohio. I need something other than the summer tires that come with the car so I will be able to drive it..

My first choice would have been an all season tire that didn't require a second set of wheels to be switched between. A thorough search reveals no such tire to be available.

My second choice would have been a second set of 20" wheels with Nokian WRG2. They, unfortunatley, don't come in the right sizes.

The choice that Porsche has developed is a second set of 20" wheels with some newly developed N0 versions of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II.

Does anyone know what to expect from these tires?

The www.tirerack.com description sounds very promising, perhaps ideal for Ohio winters:

The Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II (Series 2) is Pirelli's V-speed rated Performance Winter tire developed for the drivers of premium, high performance vehicles facing challenging wintertime road conditions as they drive their cars year round. The Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II was developed with the philosophy that winter tires must perform in a variety of unpredictable weather conditions and aren't just for use in the snowbelt states. Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II tires are designed not just as snow tires, but as seasonal tires suitable for the weather and road conditions typically experienced in parts of the U.S. between November and April by providing traction and handling in dry, wet, cold and wintry conditions.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

you can go 18" or 19" winter tires, more selection to choose.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
you can go 18" or 19" winter tires, more selection to choose.
I've also ordered PCCB which requires 20" wheels.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:33 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike-i have sottozeros on my 997 turbo-it does fine in nj-i do drive the car in snow/ice and the awd turbo drives like a jeep in bad weather-i am sure that calling the tire rack will provide you with the best answers-i use the original turbo wheels and just change tires, but i am totally unaware of wheel sizes on your panamera turbo. but, the tire does a great job. it is actually getting cold here in nj (snowed today) so i might put on the winter tires a bit earlier than nov. if the cold weather keeps up.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I was under the impression that you could use some 19" wheels with PCCB. I'll double check when I get to the office
Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

According to my order guide, the PCCB's only require 19" wheels. So, you'd be safe with the 19" Panamera turbo or design wheels with your snows, if you feel like going that route.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alfie
According to my order guide, the PCCB's only require 19" wheels. So, you'd be safe with the 19" Panamera turbo or design wheels with your snows, if you feel like going that route.
According to the online configurator, when I tried to specify 19" wheels and then selected PCCB, it told me I had to un-select the 19" wheels and choose one of the 20" options.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:15 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

mike-just call tire rack and ask-they know
Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W8MM
According to the online configurator, when I tried to specify 19" wheels and then selected PCCB, it told me I had to un-select the 19" wheels and choose one of the 20" options.
Here's the deal: PCCB for the Turbo has 3/4" bigger front discs than the S or 4S, therefore needing 20" wheels. The non-Turbo cars need only 19" wheels for PCCB.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by W8MM
Here's the deal: PCCB for the Turbo has 3/4" bigger front discs than the S or 4S, therefore needing 20" wheels. The non-Turbo cars need only 19" wheels for PCCB.
you know mike, pccb on a sedan like a panamera is a complete waste-especially as they are causing you winter tire problems. i marvel at these awd turbo machines that cause winter fitment problems-i think that the manufacturers should offer winter tire packages as an option on turbo awd sedans/suvs. i mean, really, the pccbs that they offer on the panamera that cause the winter tire problems really make an important difference on this sedan? on your cgt, okay, but on a panamera? i don't see it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 AM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

I had Pirelli P210s a few years ago, and really liked them. I'm now using Michelin Pilot Alpine PA3s, and they're as good, or better.

HTH.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docjackson1
you know mike, pccb on a sedan like a panamera is a complete waste-especially as they are causing you winter tire problems. i marvel at these awd turbo machines that cause winter fitment problems-i think that the manufacturers should offer winter tire packages as an option on turbo awd sedans/suvs. i mean, really, the pccbs that they offer on the panamera that cause the winter tire problems really make an important difference on this sedan? on your cgt, okay, but on a panamera? i don't see it.
It turns out that Porsche does offer winter tire/wheel packages for the Panamera in all three rim sizes. I just ordered the 20" RS Spyder wheels with the Pirelli 240 Sottozero Serie II N0 tires. And, there's a twist.

They've really "over-engineered" the wheels included in the package. The rear 20" wheels for the winter tires are 10.5" wide to fit the 285 section width of the Sottozeros while the summer wheels are 11.0" wide to match the 295 P Zeros or PS2s.

PCCB a waste? Well, to each his own, I guess. Porsches, in general, are a waste according to some notions of efficient public transportation. I'm different.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Jim (CIA PCA region)
Intermediate

If you've got the money, as you do, I'd go with the PCCBs as well, no question.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Stash
2nd Gear

Exclamation Pananera tire choices and cold weather

Regarding winter or all season tires for the Panamera, I found yesterday that Porsche, on its configurator for at least the Panamera 4S , is offering a zero cost all season tire option if one choses a 19'' wheel option. When I ordered my 4S, which is to arrive later this month, there was no such option. I left a message this date with Porsche regarding the rating of the all season tires and will consider asking them to substitute the all season tires if the rating is acceptable. Up here in Saratoga Springs NY, we have many months when the temperature is less than 44 degrees, the suggested lower limit for driving with the summer tires. I will let the site know what Porsche says.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i ordered mine in dec and dealer told me about all season opt. i think its way to go in suburban nyc

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Tires?