Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera test drive - a driver's perspective

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Panamera test drive - a driver's perspective

I attended the Panamera test drive at the Quail Lodge today, invited by my dealer's GM. I actually did two test drives - one as driver and my wife as a passenger, and another as passenger with my wife driving.

I know well the S class sedans (500 and 600) and the 7-series including the latest 750. My knowledge of these cars is not limited to the typical test drive or occasional ride. I drive/ride those often a they exist in the family's fleet. Between the Merc and the Beamer, the 7-series is the better driver's car. Neither approaches the Panamera.

I will not comment on the looks and frills. I think that the car looks fine and is as well appointed as any luxury sedan. I do not fret over doodads or wood trims and the like.

The four seats are excellent, offering as good support as any on the market. The Panamera driver's position is just about perfect, with all controls falling in place just right. Some say the interior is busy... it's a design choice that I prefer to the i-Drive-like hidden controls. All settings are readily accessible and easy to find. To me it feels like the cockpit of a plane vs the under-the-covers interior of a chauffeured limo.

I drove the Panamera S (in 2 trims - base and Sports package). I had no interest in driving a 4S as the 4WD only adds weight and no performance gain (where I drive). The engine/tranny combo is powerful and smooth. The brakes are Porsche brakes - enough said. The steering is direct, precise and properly weighted. The car is quick, responsive, nimble, and quiet. It's not limo tomb quiet - it has all the right sounds a proper sports sedan should.

Of course this is not a 911, and it makes no claim as a 911 replacement... But as an executive sports sedan, it has no match, in my opinion.

I was also part of the PCA contingent being hosted early on Thu, but I see no need to attend that and decided to release my seat to someone else. My 2 private test drives were convincing enough. For someone who wants the best sports sedan ever, I have no hesitation in recommending a Panamera - and see no need to get the 4S or the Turbo; the S is that good.

As far as I see it: Panamera has Porsche written all over it!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the writeup Tony! One of our service reps said they are claiming that with blinders on, you could confuse the car with a Carrera,--the handling was designed to be similar.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM
mmcmilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also test drove the car on Monday at the Quail/Carmel event. Wow, Porsche knows how to sponsor an event. A dozen or more Panameras constantly rolling out on test drives. The Porsche "tent" was a monument, filled with pleasant Porsche folks. The women who greeted incomers were model-beautiful; the men showing the cars, at least Tom who helped me, were Porsche engineers, IT and other folks from Porsche Atlanta. People were falling over themselves to help me and there was zero sales pressure.

About the car: Wow. The exterior appearance grew on me after seeing the car in person, but I still can't quite say I love it. But the interior and performance are unparalleled. I drove a great "twisty" called Laureles Grade in a 4S, something I do often on my way to work in my 996 TT. I'd be hard pressed to say which car handles that road better. The Panamera certainly had no problem and just hugs the road. Like someone else has said, the S and 4S have loads of power. Turbo test drives were not available to anyone, though they had one in the tent to sit in. I can't really imagine how the Turbo will perform; it's rated substantially faster than my 996 TT.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Thanks for the writeup Tony! One of our service reps said they are claiming that with blinders on, you could confuse the car with a Carrera,--the handling was designed to be similar.
Dan: The car handles great for a sports sedan but it's not a 911. Some may actually prefer it, but most of us know and love what a 911 feels.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Nice write-up. All I have to do now is figure out how to fit my third child on that rear center tunnel.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:24 AM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default ...also drove the Panamera at the Quail...

I won't repeat what's already been said...but Porsche did it quite well with this promotional event...
Drove the "S" through the well planned road course that offered hills, curves and staightaways...and plenty of time to get used to the car. The car was outstanding! I have owned over a dozen Porsches over the years, mainly 911s. I put a deposit on the Panamera 38 months ago...but times, the "photographic" appearance, the total price ... all made me cancel my order (also my dealer moved from nearby to an hour away!!). Now that I have seen the car and driven the car, I am convinced I will purchase one. NO, it does not drive "just like a 911"...in some ways it drives better. It is so well balanced (like the Boxster) that it is easy to drive well at speed. It looks far better in person, though it is not an overall beautiful car. The quatraporte owns that in this class. What's even more important, my wife, who went along on the test drive, LOVED IT. She tells me that she felt the Porsche experience from the back seat (she has a Boxster....I have a 993).
Thank you Porsche for another great experience.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:45 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

i'll be test driving on Saturday at 10am.. thanks for the write up
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 PM
AlexGil
Intermediate

You guys really need to try the Turbo, it gives the same great feeling when it comes to handling, but it is a huge difference in power I tried both the Turbo and a 4S
Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Nice write-up. All I have to do now is figure out how to fit my third child on that rear center tunnel.
Velcro
Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Adding to the thoughts (or confusion), I also was at Quail on Thursday. Figured PCNA would stuff three folks plus their guy in the car and go for "when the music stops" change seats ride. Boy was I wrong. Since I was there alone, I went out alone. Right out of the Quail down to the Laureles Grade. Followed couple with the wife in the left seat out so had to hang back a bit. Drove the 4S with sport on and off. I have always had water in my Porsches, 944T, Boxster and now a 996, so my opinion I am sure is suspect to the purists, but I was mighty surprised at the Carrera like feel from this car. It is big and feels so when you get in, particularly when looking in the rear view. However, focus ahead on the road and you are rewarded with quite quick and well handling car.

I have had some seat time at the track and put what little talent in that arena as I have to work. Climbing the mountain under power, the car took a set and just went where it was pointed. No fuss. Bumps did not upset it in the non-sport mode and in sport when cornering on a bumpy surface, the car handled actually a lot like my '44 Turbo. Solid, confidence inspiring. Watched Donahoe chasing 911 racers through the corkscrew without loosing much to them.

I don't think it is my kind of car, but for anyone looking for a great 4 seater that you could drive cross country on the back roads, this is your car.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STRSHP
Adding to the thoughts (or confusion), I also was at Quail on Thursday. Figured PCNA would stuff three folks plus their guy in the car and go for "when the music stops" change seats ride. Boy was I wrong. Since I was there alone, I went out alone. Right out of the Quail down to the Laureles Grade. Followed couple with the wife in the left seat out so had to hang back a bit. Drove the 4S with sport on and off. I have always had water in my Porsches, 944T, Boxster and now a 996, so my opinion I am sure is suspect to the purists, but I was mighty surprised at the Carrera like feel from this car. It is big and feels so when you get in, particularly when looking in the rear view. However, focus ahead on the road and you are rewarded with quite quick and well handling car.

I have had some seat time at the track and put what little talent in that arena as I have to work. Climbing the mountain under power, the car took a set and just went where it was pointed. No fuss. Bumps did not upset it in the non-sport mode and in sport when cornering on a bumpy surface, the car handled actually a lot like my '44 Turbo. Solid, confidence inspiring. Watched Donahoe chasing 911 racers through the corkscrew without loosing much to them.

I don't think it is my kind of car, but for anyone looking for a great 4 seater that you could drive cross country on the back roads, this is your car.
Have you driven a BMW or Mercedes lately of a comparable class; and if so how would you rate it against them?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:16 AM
Carrera_GTcrazy
Instructor

I test drove the car as well. I was very impressed with the interior and how well the car handles. I drove the Panamera S and actually feeling like the car needed more power. I also did not like the PDK transmission at all. I think the Turbo version with a Manual transmission is the car to get! Unfortunately the true tranny won't be available on our shores.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM
STRSHP
Racer

Tacet, I drove the Quattroportte. The difference is simple. You sit on the Mazer and in the Porsche.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So the front engined Panamera has been designed to exhibit trailing throttle oversteer?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Thanks for the interesting read. i have heard this from factory reps for close to a year now.

Too bad some people just love to hate anything new and different.

Quick Reply: Panamera test drive - a driver's perspective