Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Well...I take back all that I have said about the Panamera......WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
The ball in front is probably the radar cruise control thingy.
Ding! Winnar...

C.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What color is that?

There's going to be a lot of folks eating crow when the Panamera starts hitting the streets and some will always have a negative opinion about it. It's pretty much like that with all Porsches so nothing new. I really like the Panamera!!

Shouldn't this thread be in the racing forum?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:41 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby
There's going to be a lot of folks eating crow when the Panamera starts hitting the streets
Why?
Graham said it best = the rear end is ugly. No amount of performance or quality will change this.
This reminds me of the Nissan GTR, everyone kept saying "pictures do not do it justice" or "It's not that big in person" etc... Sorry, friend of mine picked up one of the first units in the USA, I see the car on a very regular basis. Hasn't grown on me yet, it's still an ugly SOB just like the Panamera.

I have yet to hear anyone rip on the Panamera for performance or quality (other than first year jitters). Looks are very subjective, nothing to "eat crow" about. I could care less if this thing out ran the Veyron, it's still hideous looking and far down on my list of sedans I would own.

At least it's not 90% Volkswagen like the Cayenne
Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Abby
What color is that?

There's going to be a lot of folks eating crow when the Panamera starts hitting the streets and some will always have a negative opinion about it. It's pretty much like that with all Porsches so nothing new. I really like the Panamera!!

Shouldn't this thread be in the racing forum?
Basalt Black (Metallic black.)
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it's not much to look at as a Porsche, but I'm sure it's a heck of a "sedan" performance wise.

Too bad Porsches these days are all about keeping up with the Joneses.

Thanks for the sneak preview, though!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Why?
Graham said it best = the rear end is ugly. No amount of performance or quality will change this.
This reminds me of the Nissan GTR, everyone kept saying "pictures do not do it justice" or "It's not that big in person" etc... Sorry, friend of mine picked up one of the first units in the USA, I see the car on a very regular basis. Hasn't grown on me yet, it's still an ugly SOB just like the Panamera.

I admit that the rear has some design issues. There is an interruption in the body lines around the rear lighting transition to the hatch. I can't quite put my finger on it, but that abrupt drop off lacks the punch of the front nose.

Porsche also has a history of "working out the design bugs." That said, I stand by what I said. The profile of the car looks way better in person than in the photos. The depth of the lines is much more apparent. All the photography 'flattens' out the depth. The PCNA rep even mentioned they were having a tough time finding the right angle.

My personal feeling is that Porsche will end up getting it right. I anticipate that it will be similar to the Cayenne thus taking a few years to "get it right."

Performance wise......damn fast car.

C.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why?

I have yet to hear anyone rip on the Panamera for performance or quality (other than first year jitters). Looks are very subjective, nothing to "eat crow" about. I could care less if this thing out ran the Veyron, it's still hideous looking and far down on my list of sedans I would own.

Funny, coming from a 928 owner.

I can't wait until October.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Why?
Because just like the OP, there are going to be people who were detractors that have changed their opinion. Others will never like it just as I said. No different than most all Porsches.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Funny, coming from a 928 owner.
I knew you would be the first to that punch!

Need to put things into perspective, in 197x when the 928 was first shown to the public versus the Panamera. IMO the Panamera has nothing unique going for it (looks wise) versus the 928 over 30 years ago.
I guess the Panamera design team started looking over the notes of the 928 design and took the comments: "the public likes huge asses" a bit too far.

The interior is ok, I'm not crazy about most new car interiors these days, especially Porsche.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by aeroman
If they build it they will come. Just look at the 944/928.
Then I'm sure we'll be seeing a front engine 2 seater in the future...of course it will cost about $10K MORE following the Boxster/Cayman pricing plan.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chads996
Basalt Black (Metallic black.)
I couldn't tell if it was a dark blue or black. I think what you mentioned about the transition on the rear of the car near the tailights holds true, and that on darker colors it's less of an issue.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Why?
From now on all new Porsches are 100% Volkswagen. So you won't buy any new Porsche then?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostwriter11
So, let me get this straight. Porsche sent one of the first 2 Panameras to hit the U.S. to . . . Suwanee, GA, pop. 8725?? Why not Mayberry RFD?

So, you don't know where PCNA is located?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thread that proves that 90% of Rennlist posters are NOT the target market for this car! (including me).
Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 AM
67FJ45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it just had 993ish or 997ish headlights instead of 996ish, it'd be a real Porsche. Jeez.

Quick Reply: Well...I take back all that I have said about the Panamera......WOW!