Porsche Panamera (Failure)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

In the flesh, the car is not in least bit "ugly". The styling may not be for everyone but not liking it doesn't make it ugly, and conversely liking it doesn't make it beautiful.

It is a "niche" car and will be very successful, combining luxury (I can verify) with performance (I assume). I was very surprised at how much better it looked in the flesh than it did in the pictures. Some things just don't photograph well.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^

In the flesh, the car is not in least bit "ugly". The styling may not be for everyone but not liking it doesn't make it ugly, and conversely liking it doesn't make it beautiful.

It is a "niche" car and will be very successful, combining luxury (I can verify) with performance (I assume). I was very surprised at how much better it looked in the flesh than it did in the pictures. Some things just don't photograph well.
Yeah....

No. It's ugly.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Everyone said the Cayenne was ugly when it came out. Everyone still said the Cayenne is ugly now.

Yet the Cayenne is the best selling car in the Porsche lineup. I guess people like buying ugly cars these days and Porsche seems to know this well.

I predict the Panamera will be a big success and it will steal sales from Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series. People who have owned these 2 cars will know too well about their poor depreciation. So why not try a Panamera when it is time to trade cars.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Everyone said the Cayenne was ugly when it came out. Everyone still said the Cayenne is ugly now.
It was/is/will always be ugly.

Yet the Cayenne is the best selling car in the Porsche lineup. I guess people like buying ugly cars these days and Porsche seems to know this well.
Look at the Cayenne (targeted) demographic.

I predict the Panamera will be a big success and it will steal sales from Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series. People who have owned these 2 cars will know too well about their poor depreciation. So why not try a Panamera when it is time to trade cars.
The Panamera will struggle to meet it's post launch (i.e. dealers forced to accept initial production launch vehicles) expected numbers....between 20 adn 25% of all Porsche sales....I don't think so.

You're right. The 'other' Porsches have shown EXCELLENT depreciation characterstics....996TT/997TT, Carrera/Boxsters....all depreciate about as well as the shuttle can glide (re: brick)

I will allow the Panamera to survive, only if Dr W leaves PAG immediately...the Panamera was his last 'piece of the puzzle in his 10 year plan', now given the fact that PAG has gone from the most profitable company on the face of the Earth to billions of dollars in debt (wonder if Dr. W was a student of Mr Madoff), it's time.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can care less how my SUV (AKA: Porsche Cayenne) looks when it kicks some so called sport sedans' small ***...but wait a minute, I thought it was about the driving experience...???

Style & body design? maybe we should look for the "Lady's Boot" on the map??????
Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
It was/is/will always be ugly.
the successful sales of the Cayenne is good enough proof that what you and other haters have said are totally irrelevant and hence unimportant.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

the successful sales of the Cayenne is good enough proof that what you and other haters have said are totally irrelevant and hence unimportant.
Actually, this is just proof that a Fool and his money are soon parted...
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
money well worth it on a Cayenne than other SUV.

BTW, nice find on the ancestor of the Panamera.

Last edited by Targa Tim; 05-22-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
if Panamera sales mirrors Cayenne's...I wonder who would be the fool?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Hypothetically speaking, if one were say a designer/OEM supplier to Porsche, and production planning forcasts were part of the project, it should be possible to look at (revised) Panamera production #'s for the next 2 years, correct? I would imagine the same could be said for the Cayenne as well. I wonder what those numbers would tell you...

It's interesting table talk, but in the end, it's 'wait and see'.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's evident that the Panamera is the future of Porsche.

Why did they make an SUV? Why is the 924/944/968 not considered a "real Porsche"? Why is there no love for the Cayman?

I'll tell you why. It's because Porsche has ceased to be a high-end sports car manufacturer and become just another model of luxury car. The Porsche has come to be valued more for its big-name hood badge and high sticker price than for its handling and racecar pedigree.

Any luxury automaker can stick a powerful engine in a big, heavy sedan, and get good 0-60 numbers. But there's so much more to a true sports car than that.

The Panamera, like the Cayenne, makes me sad. It was made to be polished, not driven.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

What a bunch of drama queens you all are when it comes to the Panamera. Don't like it? Don't buy one. What's the big deal?

FWIW, it seems like it's going to perform in the manner that we've become accustomed to when it comes to Porsches--it'll be at the top of its class. Isn't that what matters?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Whisper
It's evident that the Panamera is the future of Porsche.

Why did they make an SUV? Why is the 924/944/968 not considered a "real Porsche"? Why is there no love for the Cayman?

I'll tell you why. It's because Porsche has ceased to be a high-end sports car manufacturer and become just another model of luxury car. The Porsche has come to be valued more for its big-name hood badge and high sticker price than for its handling and racecar pedigree.

Any luxury automaker can stick a powerful engine in a big, heavy sedan, and get good 0-60 numbers. But there's so much more to a true sports car than that.

The Panamera, like the Cayenne, makes me sad. It was made to be polished, not driven.
Well stated
FWIW, the 'real' Porsche is probably still the 911 and of course the 356.
As an aside, I do consider the 968 to be a Porsche, much more so than the 944/924 models (Harm Lagaay called it the most beautiful Porsche he ever designed).
Dr W had a 10 year plan; thankfully it is coming to an end with the Panamera and perhaps his tenure at Porsche as well.
I agree with marketing the badge to a completely new demographic, but they have tried to do both things at the same time (continue with racecar derived sportscar evolution with the 911 AND go after an entirely new demographic (folks who couldn't recognize any Porsche more than 3 years old...soccer moms et. al).
Work with people inside Porsche and you quickly figure out that they share the same opinion of the company and Dr W.

A friend of mine who is in the business research field (something i know nothing about) told me that he average life of a major corporation is about 50-60 years; at that point in time, they usually experience a major change and are never the same again...he cited lots of examples, HP, RCA, etc).
I'm afraid Porsche may have reached that inflection point.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whisper
You are obviously someone who has not driven, or if you had, do not know how to drive and handle a Cayenne well to say something like this.

I'm going to have sport car, SUV and sedan in my garage. If Porsche is able to provide me with good products, then I don't mind having all my cars made by Porsche.

Starbucks is good and famous for making coffee, but they also sell cookies and other products, and they are doing well.

If any of you haters own Porsche and stay with making sport cars only, I can foresee that it will be out of business long time ago.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:56 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
The same people who bought the Cayenne and Panamera ....

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera (Failure)