Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

My totally ghetto, homemade sunroof insulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 04:25 PM
coulter
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My totally ghetto, homemade sunroof insulator

I would love it if someone made an insulated sunroof panel for our glass roofs. I know companies make them for Teslas and they really are a game changer because the whole roof is glass.

I live in AZ and if its say 115 and you're parked outside, forget about it. Your car is going to be crazy hot. I put a temp gun on the glass roof and it's insanely hot on the inside. Thought I would just make something temporary and put up during the summer months. I basically put foil home insulation I had lying around from a project and a small ironing mat. You can't see the foil backing from the outside of the car. I basically just take it down when summer is over and just use the factory fabric cover.

It makes a dramatic difference! When I did a before and after with my infrared thermometer, it dropped the temp on the inside roof like 30 degrees. Just much more pleasant to drive in the summer. I'm personally not a fan of glass roofs.

I'd love to buy something nicer or spend a little more time on one, but nobody (including me) even notices it anymore.

The following users liked this post:
huskeric (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:47 AM
PandaSPUR
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you get the thermal + sound insulated glass option with your Panamera? I always wondered if that included the sunroof and if it made a real difference.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:18 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

2018 Porsche Panamera Sedan Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield - The Original Windshield Sunshade (heatshieldstore.com)

I have these windshield sun shades for all my cars and they fit great. I have never tried them for an of the other windows. It doesn't say if there are suction cups or what, but the windshield fits so perfectly you don't need to put your visors down if the shade sits flush against the windshield. I have a radar detector mount and dashcam so I need the visors to hold it good.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:49 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by djdonte
2018 Porsche Panamera Sedan Windshield Sun Shades, Car Window Shades and Car Window Covers by HeatShield - The Original Windshield Sunshade (heatshieldstore.com)

I have these windshield sun shades for all my cars and they fit great. I have never tried them for an of the other windows. It doesn't say if there are suction cups or what, but the windshield fits so perfectly you don't need to put your visors down if the shade sits flush against the windshield. I have a radar detector mount and dashcam so I need the visors to hold it good.
Interesting, thanks for passing that on!

I couldnt find anything for the Panamera. I do wish though there was an option that looked a little more factory.
For instance, they make styles like this for Tesla

Old 04-27-2024, 01:40 PM
injuhneer
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coulter
I would love it if someone made an insulated sunroof panel for our glass roofs. I know companies make them for Teslas and they really are a game changer because the whole roof is glass.

I live in AZ and if its say 115 and you're parked outside, forget about it. Your car is going to be crazy hot. I put a temp gun on the glass roof and it's insanely hot on the inside. Thought I would just make something temporary and put up during the summer months. I basically put foil home insulation I had lying around from a project and a small ironing mat. You can't see the foil backing from the outside of the car. I basically just take it down when summer is over and just use the factory fabric cover.

It makes a dramatic difference! When I did a before and after with my infrared thermometer, it dropped the temp on the inside roof like 30 degrees. Just much more pleasant to drive in the summer. I'm personally not a fan of glass roofs.

I'd love to buy something nicer or spend a little more time on one, but nobody (including me) even notices it anymore.
What part of AZ? I am in the SE (near Tombstone).

You have what looks like a good start. Maybe something that has a perimeter spring like the sunshades?

I have seen those shades that have suction cups to hold them in place but maybe a correctly sized piece with a perimeter spring would work. I wonder too if there is clearance above the sliding shade to add a layer of insulation or reflective material.

Last edited by injuhneer; 04-27-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:08 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

Have you thought about tinting it 5% with Ceramic tint?
Old 04-27-2024, 10:29 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by injuhneer
What part of AZ? I am in the SE (near Tombstone).

You have what looks like a good start. Maybe something that has a perimeter spring like the sunshades?

I have seen those shades that have suction cups to hold them in place but maybe a correctly sized piece with a perimeter spring would work. I wonder too if there is clearance above the sliding shade to add a layer of insulation or reflective material.
There's a gap where I'm able to put a fairly thick piece in there. The "lip" where the fabric shade retracts allows me to wedge in there and no issues holding it in place. I have two pieces of foil insulation along with an ironing mat. If anything, what I have in there is overkill, but it makes it rigid and really insulates the cabin.

Originally Posted by Shuga
Have you thought about tinting it 5% with Ceramic tint?
I did originally, I have heard people say tinting a sunroof can crack it, not sure if that's urban legend or not. It already has some heavy duty tint from the factory, I think it would probably be a small difference to add a ceramic one on there. Tint places around me charge a fortune for the "good stuff". No tint is going to work as good as what I have on there, but it just doesn't look factory.

What I did really is a game changer though, I find the car gets comfortable now even in the summer. Even on triple digit days, I could get 39 degrees out of the vents. So it was always the heat coming from the glass roof. It was when the car was parked in the sun that it really got bad. The ac system though is actually pretty robust, usually German cars are terrible when it comes to AC. Germany's summers are just too mild.

`

Last edited by coulter; 04-27-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:13 PM
AceMktg
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a gap where I'm able to put a fairly thick piece in there. The "lip" where the fabric shade retracts allows me to wedge in there and no issues holding it in place. I have two pieces of foil insulation along with an ironing mat. If anything, what I have in there is overkill, but it makes it rigid and really insulates the cabin.

I did originally, I have heard people say tinting a sunroof can crack it, not sure if that's urban legend or not. It already has some heavy duty tint from the factory, I think it would probably be a small difference to add a ceramic one on there. Tint places around me charge a fortune for the "good stuff". No tint is going to work as good as what I have on there, but it just doesn't look factory.

What I did really is a game changer though, I find the car gets comfortable now even in the summer. Even on triple digit days, I could get 39 degrees out of the vents. So it was always the heat coming from the glass roof. It was when the car was parked in the sun that it really got bad. The ac system though is actually pretty robust, usually German cars are terrible when it comes to AC. Germany's summers are just too mild.

`
I had my glass roof tinted to match the rear side windows & back window through Naples Porsche 2 years ago. Far more pleasant, even with the sunshades open front and rear. This year I went directly to Enterprise in Naples and got AIR Clear 80 for the windshield. It has made a noticeable difference, particularly in how hot the top of the steering wheel gets. I use a folding sunshade from Suncoast whenever the car is parked outside.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:43 PM
21Pan4
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I usually get sunroofs tinted, I've had two done now without issue. I dislike too much light coming in above my head.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:20 PM
coulter
Instructor

Originally Posted by 21Pan4
I usually get sunroofs tinted, I've had two done now without issue. I dislike too much light coming in above my head.
Considering it's essentially blackout tint already on there from the factory, does it make much of a difference?
I personally hate glass roofs on cars, tesla started this trend. I'm sure its wonderful if you live in a really mild climate, but its hell in a place that gets to a 100 degrees.

My brother got a new Tesla and he almost took it back because the glass roof (with zero shade on there) just didnt let the car cool down. He put a similar aftermarket sunshade on there and it's night and day better. Imagine a roof that like 30 degrees hotter, it doesnt matter how cold your AC is if your roof is like 130 degrees inches from your head.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:03 PM
coulter
Instructor

Here's an infrared thermometer reading on the front glass sunroof (that has the insulation) and a reading of the rear (that simply has the factory fabric covering).
Today it was around 88 degrees, and I parked outside.
You can see it's quite a difference. It becomes an even bigger deal when its over 100 degrees during the day.

Old 04-29-2024, 06:55 PM
21Pan4
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering it's essentially blackout tint already on there from the factory, does it make much of a difference?
I personally hate glass roofs on cars, tesla started this trend. I'm sure its wonderful if you live in a really mild climate, but its hell in a place that gets to a 100 degrees.

My brother got a new Tesla and he almost took it back because the glass roof (with zero shade on there) just didnt let the car cool down. He put a similar aftermarket sunshade on there and it's night and day better. Imagine a roof that like 30 degrees hotter, it doesnt matter how cold your AC is if your roof is like 130 degrees inches from your head.
Yeah I had a Model S with all glass roof. I hated it, especially in winter when it gets to -30C and you can't keep the heat in because looking cool is better than being functional to Elon.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:44 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 576 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by PandaSPUR
Did you get the thermal + sound insulated glass option with your Panamera? I always wondered if that included the sunroof and if it made a real difference.
I was disappointed that Porsche uses single pane tempered glass in their roofs when the vehicle has the acoustic double pane laminated glass option. Still, the factory tint on our Cayenne's tempered panoramic glass roof seems to do a better job of reducing heat than similar glass on other vehicles we've owned. When I checked a few years ago, I found that relatively few vehicles had laminated glass in their glass roofs. IIRC, it was Tesla, Volvo and maybe Ferrari.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:00 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 570 Posts

I think the roof is only 20%. If you tint it 5% with the shade closed, it'll help.

Quick Reply: My totally ghetto, homemade sunroof insulator