Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

On a Scale of 1-10 How Deranged is the Idea of Buying This Car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 09:19 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mas0n
@chaos2984 that's very kind, thank you for the offer. I'm in Chevy Chase, so it's a relatively easy drive from me as well. I think I'm going to swing in Friday for a look just to satisfy my curiosity. Then I should be able to tell if there really is mismatched paint and not just weird lighting. It also looks like the hood may be crooked, but pictures can be deceiving. Overall I just don't know if rolling the dice with a 150k mile PDK that has never been services is worth it. I will absolutely update the thread with my findings, though!
Welcome.
I'm probably the most pickyest person you will meet when it comes to cars. I find all the issues and car see things others can't.
If you need/want help just let me know.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:20 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe I'm blind but I dont see a price.... Not that it matters. Way too many miles and there was some shady blending done on the side of that thing.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:46 AM
randomusername
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what in the world is that site? for selling maybachs and porsches, i would think they could invest in their website a bit
Old 03-01-2024, 12:18 PM
Mas0n
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**UPDATE**

Well I went and looked at the car today. A very unique dealership. There were more people working there than I expected, but there was not much happening. Nobody seemed to care much about what was going on. There were no other customers on the lot. I started the car up and took a walk around (it was next to two Bentleys and was one of probably 7 Panameras). It ran a little on the rougher side, but it was cold this morning. Didn't make any sounds that were worrisome. The driver seat felt like the life had been squeezed out of the cushioning which was strange because every Panamera I've been in, regardless of age or mileage, has felt the same before this one. Overall it seemed like the last owner didn't necessarily abuse it, but definitely didn't care about taking care of it, either. Lots of little cosmetic bumps and bruises that seem like they would be very easy to address, but weren't. Buffable scrape here, loose door gasket there, etc.

When I first walked up to it, the front left corner was bottomed out. I'm guessing that leaking air suspension is what caused the previous owner to walk away from it. Strangely, the salesman told me that BOTH rear wheels were probably damaged, because even after replacing the tires and valve stems, the air will leak out completely if let to sit for a week or so. I have no clue how that happens without a significant accident, although I suppose it's possible that those aren't the original wheels. I didn't see any obvious signs of bodywork. In person, the paint seemed consistent throughout. The panel gap around the hood was slightly off from one side to the other. That's about it.

I did not ask to drive it, but I'm not 100% turned off from it, either. I'll do some digging about the level of cost and effort to replace the front air springs. The compressor must still be good because once the car is started, it levels right out. At $20k it seems like it might be a fun project. Maybe. Possibly. At least I am confident that it would be a better project than the literal fire sale that another user posted recently!
Old 03-01-2024, 02:32 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts

Replacing air springs is nothing special or difficult if you've done shocks/springs before on other vehicles. If one side has failed, account for replacing both, the other won't be far behind.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:36 PM
djdonte
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sac02
Replacing air springs is nothing special or difficult if you've done shocks/springs before on other vehicles. If one side has failed, account for replacing both, the other won't be far behind.
Are you sure about this? I know on the 970 it is DIYable and there are some aftermarket parts around... but unless I am mistaken the 971 needs to be vacuumed similar to an AC system then charged with nitrogen. The part is 1000-1200 each shock if you can find them and no aftermarket. Then you need a scan tool. I think there is a company that rebuilds them for 700 each if you send them out.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:43 PM
mulligan
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if the crazy-hot matrix were applied to a car then this one would be a 4 hot and 10 crazy which is a no.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Quick Reply: On a Scale of 1-10 How Deranged is the Idea of Buying This Car?