Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

971 Turbo no PSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2024 | 06:28 AM
alwaro
7th Gear

Default 971 Turbo no PSE

Dears, I would like to replace my medium muffler with straight pipe. Is there any risk for the engine? Any potential issues with sensors to foresee? Is the ECU remap required? Have you done that before?
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2024 | 07:07 AM
chaos2984
Pro

Are you trying to delete the H pipe section in the exhaust and go straight pipe?
Old 01-28-2024 | 07:16 AM
alwaro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by chaos2984
Are you trying to delete the H pipe section in the exhaust and go straight pipe?
I am having non-PSE exhaust as you can see attached. I would like to rework it with H pipe or straight.

Last edited by alwaro; 01-28-2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-29-2024 | 01:38 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

I cut my up and remove that resontor to copy the PSE

Originally Posted by alwaro
I am having non-PSE exhaust as you can see attached. I would like to rework it with H pipe or straight.
Old 01-29-2024 | 03:24 AM
alwaro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Andy Liu
I cut my up and remove that resontor to copy the PSE
thanks, did you do any ECU map for that? Have you faced any engine errors? Was it not too loud?
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:08 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

thanks, did you do any ECU map for that? Have you faced any engine errors? Was it not too loud?

I have coded the pse button and it will still be quiet cause the ecu will enable the valve during 4k-8k. I added a valve controller so I can control it fully. I have secondary catless also. Anything pass the down pipe it won’t throw a code. But if you remove the primary cat it will. I don’t think it is super loud just right.
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:24 AM
alwaro
7th Gear

This is a game changer. Have a look what is inside this middle muffler. It is a straight pipe! What is the sense to pay for PSE then? I expected to be at least a perforated straight pipe.

Old 01-29-2024 | 11:36 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

It isn't a game changer. the V8 have a pressure valve. the top area is a pressure valve to close it also. the V6 don't have the press valve so but there is a resonator.

When you buy PSE, you buying it for Porsche to Code the PSE button and then also for the speaker that is inside the engine bay. You can search the forum. But I wish I am the Admin or Mod so I can tag these but the Mods on these forum are slow nowerday

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...etrofit-3.html

This is a game changer. Have a look what is inside this middle muffler. It is a straight pipe! What is the sense to pay for PSE then? I expected to be at least a perforated straight pipe.

All 971s have valves at the rear mufflers. Cars with PSE have the center resonator deleted replaced w/ a crossover pipe and an additional center valve.

The rear valves are electronic. The center valve (on PSE cars) is vacuum.

You can actually program PSE with PIWIS on any Panamera, you just won't get as throaty of a sound, but you will get the ability to switch the rear muffler valves open when PSE is on (and dash/touchscreen buttons show you have PSE even though you really don't).

Yes also PSE cars have the sound generator attached to the bottom right of the windshield as well, which vibrates the windshield to simulate growl inside the cabin when PSE is on.

Retrofit of full factory PSE is possible and the kit can be bought directly from Porsche. Kit includes the center resonator delete pipe w/ the additional vacuum valve and associated plumbing and the sound generator along with wiring for both V6 and V8 cars. On the V6 cars the rear mufflers are also replaced w/ PSE, but on the V8 cars the rear mufflers are the same for PSE/nonPSE cars.

Note that the round exhaust tips are sold separately, and cost almost as much as the entire PSE kit, at least on the V8 cars. I am not 100% sure about tips for the V6 cars since the mufflers are replaced, but I think they are also sold separately.

Here is a thread I started w/ lots of pics, info, and the factory installation instructions for both V6 and V8 cars: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-turbo-st.html
The following users liked this post:
GT Omologata (08-14-2024)
Old 01-29-2024 | 11:55 AM
alwaro
7th Gear

It isn't a game changer. the V8 have a pressure valve. the top area is a pressure valve to close it also. the V6 don't have the press valve so but there is a resonator.

When you buy PSE, you buying it for Porsche to Code the PSE button and then also for the speaker that is inside the engine bay. You can search the forum. But I wish I am the Admin or Mod so I can tag these but the Mods on these forum are slow nowerday

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...etrofit-3.html

All 971s have valves at the rear mufflers. Cars with PSE have the center resonator deleted replaced w/ a crossover pipe and an additional center valve.

The rear valves are electronic. The center valve (on PSE cars) is vacuum.

You can actually program PSE with PIWIS on any Panamera, you just won't get as throaty of a sound, but you will get the ability to switch the rear muffler valves open when PSE is on (and dash/touchscreen buttons show you have PSE even though you really don't).

Yes also PSE cars have the sound generator attached to the bottom right of the windshield as well, which vibrates the windshield to simulate growl inside the cabin when PSE is on.

Retrofit of full factory PSE is possible and the kit can be bought directly from Porsche. Kit includes the center resonator delete pipe w/ the additional vacuum valve and associated plumbing and the sound generator along with wiring for both V6 and V8 cars. On the V6 cars the rear mufflers are also replaced w/ PSE, but on the V8 cars the rear mufflers are the same for PSE/nonPSE cars.

Note that the round exhaust tips are sold separately, and cost almost as much as the entire PSE kit, at least on the V8 cars. I am not 100% sure about tips for the V6 cars since the mufflers are replaced, but I think they are also sold separately.

Here is a thread I started w/ lots of pics, info, and the factory installation instructions for both V6 and V8 cars: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...-turbo-st.html
thanks. Assuming that PSE has straight middle muffler. Non-PSE has also straight middle muffler but inside the resonator. What makes the biggest difference in 971 turbo model between PSE and non-PSE? This additional speaker?
Old 01-29-2024 | 12:09 PM
PanameraCharger
Advanced

What is a PSE? I have the base 2018 3.0 and was thinking about deleting that middle muffler as well to get more sound
Old 01-29-2024 | 02:04 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

thanks. Assuming that PSE has straight middle muffler. Non-PSE has also straight middle muffler but inside the resonator. What makes the biggest difference in 971 turbo model between PSE and non-PSE? This additional speaker?

And coding the PSE button but it still won't be that loud. recommend to add a valve controller.
Old 01-29-2024 | 07:26 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PanameraCharger
What is a PSE? I have the base 2018 3.0 and was thinking about deleting that middle muffler as well to get more sound
PSE is Porsche Sport Exhaust...
Old 01-29-2024 | 09:16 PM
chaos2984
Pro

And coding the PSE button but it still won't be that loud. recommend to add a valve controller.
How loud is the exhaust with the rear muffler valves fully open all the time? I've been meaning to check this on mine with how they operate at idle and off idle, just haven't had time. I want a little more out of my PSE exhaust but not sure its worth the 6-9K for a full exhaust.
Old 01-30-2024 | 06:55 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaos2984
How loud is the exhaust with the rear muffler valves fully open all the time? I've been meaning to check this on mine with how they operate at idle and off idle, just haven't had time. I want a little more out of my PSE exhaust but not sure its worth the 6-9K for a full exhaust.
Get the sawzall out then
Old 01-31-2024 | 03:51 AM
alwaro
7th Gear

is this true that you added PSE button with PIWIS? Any errors faced? Engine check?

Quick Reply: 971 Turbo no PSE