Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

971 Turbo no PSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2024, 07:50 AM
djdonte
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 971 4S non-PSE and I coded in PSE with my PIWIS 3 clone tool. No errors. It does make a difference but it's still pretty quiet. I am considering buying the PSE middle exhaust pipe on eBay and installing it. There us a short one that could be welded and a longer one that would connect with clamps at the rear like the OEM retrofit kit, but the latter ships freight.

Do you think it will be worth it without the dash speaker and H pipe valve control? I would be locking the H pipe vacuum valve full time open or closed and I don't feel like installing the vacuum actuator or the pulse sender.
Old 08-10-2024, 09:22 AM
technoholic
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

As per my other thread, I coded PSE, added the valve solenoid to get rid of the error where the car can’t see the now expected solenoid, I didn’t code 2FB which is the sound aktor that adds engine pulses to the cabin

i actually like the sound now with the rear valves able to be open at lower revs and also in comfort mode, it’s a nice throaty burble with a few pops and bangs in sports mode. But I am considering getting the H pipe fitted with or without the middle valve, or preferably, the Techart centre section instead.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:45 AM
djdonte
Racer

Thank I do remember your error code issue. I did not code 2FB or the crossover valve it seems. I am considering a used PSE exhaust that I could install without welding, but I wont be adding the vacuum valve. I haven't decided to pin the H pipe valve open or closed though.
Old 08-10-2024, 10:50 AM
technoholic
Advanced

Originally Posted by djdonte
Thank I do remember your error code issue. I did not code 2FB or the crossover valve it seems. I am considering a used PSE exhaust that I could install without welding, but I wont be adding the vacuum valve. I haven't decided to pin the H pipe valve open or closed though.
you can’t NOT code the changeover valve, it’s part of the OP8 coding, so I don’t know why you don’t have an error code in DME unless you also have the valve installed but if you don’t that’s great. For me, I was expecting to see a code before I even did the coding, as explained to me by Techart
Old 08-10-2024, 11:00 AM
djdonte
Racer

Originally Posted by technoholic
you can’t NOT code the changeover valve, it’s part of the OP8 coding, so I don’t know why you don’t have an error code in DME unless you also have the valve installed but if you don’t that’s great. For me, I was expecting to see a code before I even did the coding, as explained to me by Techart
Do you have a base or 4? The PSE for the 3.0L is just a hard X pipe, but the PSE for 2.9 and 4.0 has the valved H pipe with provisions to hook up the valve. If you have a 3.0 you are seeing the error because it was coded and the DME is looking for the valve I am guessing. Reading the installation instructions for my car, it has you running vacuum line and it looks like the actuator is present on the car already, or at least the wire harness is at the least.
Old 08-10-2024, 11:26 AM
technoholic
Advanced

Originally Posted by djdonte
Do you have a base or 4? The PSE for the 3.0L is just a hard X pipe, but the PSE for 2.9 and 4.0 has the valved H pipe with provisions to hook up the valve. If you have a 3.0 you are seeing the error because it was coded and the DME is looking for the valve I am guessing. Reading the installation instructions for my car, it has you running vacuum line and it looks like the actuator is present on the car already, or at least the wire harness is at the least.
that might explain it. I have a turbo where the kit installs an EXTRA valve which isn’t there to start so when you code it the car is looking for it, hence the error
Old 08-10-2024, 11:36 AM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

why even buy that?? It is just a cut out! Go to any muffler shop and they can do that for you for 150-200. And ya it make a difference. The issue is that the car close the valve at 3-5k. You have to get a valve controller also if you want it to be open all the time

Originally Posted by alwaro
This is a game changer. Have a look what is inside this middle muffler. It is a straight pipe! What is the sense to pay for PSE then? I expected to be at least a perforated straight pipe.

Old 08-10-2024, 01:37 PM
djdonte
Racer

I'm sure there are baffles of some sort in there. Porsche calls it a muffler but I'm not sure it meets the definition. The PSE has what looks like two resonators and a H pipe.
Edit- they call it a "silencer" actually.

Last edited by djdonte; 08-10-2024 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 971 Turbo no PSE