Notices
Panamera 2010-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

The most important thread you will ever read. Pressing questions for the ages...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 09:02 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I thought would be bigger😁 Thanks for the pic I’ve never seen one.

Last edited by Chaos; 01-19-2024 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:30 PM
vkb123
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sac02
Better Pics of the "Cool Box" (as Porsche calls it).
Wow! That’s a super awkward location in the rear hatch. Can say I really like the look of the “armrest” in the rear seating area too. I’m torn between leave it be (because it’s “factory installed”) and blow it out. I’m leaning toward the latter! Thanks for sharing these pics.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:03 AM
Mr Tee
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Keep it
Old 01-21-2024, 09:29 PM
mulligan
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What a conversation piece for all of the dignitaries that are blessed to ride in your chariot! I say get a set of roof bars and a box to carry the silver and fine china.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:31 PM
Andypandarific
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I've got a very loaded 2012 TurboS and one of the options is the built-in refrigerator.

Pros: It's a GREAT party trick. The kids get a kick out of it. It makes the poors aware of how inadequate their non-food-safe vehicular doggie-bag storage solutions are.

Cons: It's DUCKING HUGE and takes up like all of the trunk space. A massive hatchback luxo-barge of this size should fit at least 4 dead hookers, golf bags, rifle cases - I can only fit one. My two light-packing kids and I can road-trip in it for weeks, but if we bring my wife? fuhgeddaboudit.

So the question of the century:

DO I REMOVE IT?

Please weight in on this most pressing issue of our time.

I am paralyzed with fear and indecision and need the internet to tell me what to do.
The title is very accurate.
I also found one with a fridge and i was considering to buy it and i'm glad i did not. I'm already suffering from lack of boot space without it, would hate to see what you can / can't fit inside without putting the seats down. Which is another issue in itself, of course, the rear mid seat cannot move due to the center console.

I have the long wheel base version, don't know if that reduces the boot space comapred to orignal body ? I cannot really fit golf clubs in properly, the woods and driver need to go inside the car.
1 Large Suitcase is all i can fit, before the hatchback restricts the items that can fill the final section of space. An 80x37x41 case fits sideways, but the corner edge is very close to the parcel shelf.

Are you enjoying the fridge, though ?
Old 01-22-2024, 12:15 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
I thought would be bigger😁 Thanks for the pic I’ve never seen one.
That's What She Said! (buh-dum-tss)

I think the wide angle lens of the cell phone makes things in the front of the image (bumper, rear of trunk) look a little larger than things in the rear (cool box). It certainly looks smaller in the pic than in real life.

Originally Posted by vkb123
Wow! That’s a super awkward location in the rear hatch. Can say I really like the look of the “armrest” in the rear seating area too. I’m torn between leave it be (because it’s “factory installed”) and blow it out. I’m leaning toward the latter! Thanks for sharing these pics.
That is the option known to Porsche as "Large center console in Rear Compartment, $2300".

Or as I refer to it, "The reason my kids can't both get out the same side of the car when we do things like school drop-off line".

In another tangent, there was a cool Porsche cell phone (+ pivoting charging dock) in there. The phone still held charge and turned on. I removed the phone and dock for space (I kept it and it can go back in easily).
You put your own SIM into the phone, and it would make calls through the PCM. There is (was) also one in the front center console. I don't think this option was uncommon so I'm guessing plenty of people have seen the phones.

Originally Posted by Andypandarific
The title is very accurate.
I have the long wheel base version, don't know if that reduces the boot space comapred to orignal body ?
I think LWB only adds length between B and C pillar (rear occupant leg room only in other words).
Old 01-23-2024, 05:32 AM
Turok
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the wide angle lens of the cell phone makes things in the front of the image (bumper, rear of trunk) look a little larger than things in the rear (cool box). It certainly looks smaller in the pic than in real life.

That is the option known to Porsche as "Large center console in Rear Compartment, $2300".

Or as I refer to it, "The reason my kids can't both get out the same side of the car when we do things like school drop-off line".

In another tangent, there was a cool Porsche cell phone (+ pivoting charging dock) in there. The phone still held charge and turned on. I removed the phone and dock for space (I kept it and it can go back in easily).
You put your own SIM into the phone, and it would make calls through the PCM. There is (was) also one in the front center console. I don't think this option was uncommon so I'm guessing plenty of people have seen the phones.

I think LWB only adds length between B and C pillar (rear occupant leg room only in other words).
How do you remove the charging dock of that thing?
Old 01-23-2024, 10:56 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Turok
How do you remove the charging dock of that thing?
It's been a couple years since I did it, so my memory is rough - I'll take a look at it tonight and see if that helps refresh my memory.

As I recall, it was very straighforward, you just need to have some stubby tools/driver bits because you're working mostly inside the console. I think I took off the console lid, removed the fasteners for the dock, and then maybe l had to also go fishing for the wiring connector through the hole where the dock was mounted. But I do remember that other than perhaps the console lid, that there was little to no disassembly required.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:49 PM
Andypandarific
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Think you're right , yea 6 inches extra in the back seat. wasn't sure if any were sacrifised from the boot. I expect the boot space is very limited with that compressor, i'm already struggling a little bit as it is now without it, mainly due to obligatory over packing due to having a small kid.
for 85% of the time, i never have 4 passengers, so the center console is quite nice. if you sit in the back, it think it adds a nice feeling and level of quality and comfort, rather than a 3rd cramped seat.
The cup holder also holds an air freshner perfectly

I've recently removed the parcel shelf, it helps when closing the boot and the curtain thing does a decent job to ditract from the big open space.

Quick Reply: The most important thread you will ever read. Pressing questions for the ages...