Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

How I enabled full screen Apple CarPlay on my own

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 01:05 PM
technoholic
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I started here: https://github.com/harman-f/MHI2_US_...6_1-MU1476-AIO But I'm not saying this is the version for YOUR car, you need to do some investigation to make sure it's right, but the AIO templates by default have the Bose unpatched and removed from the manifest of updates, so make sure yours does too, if you have Bose. I'm not sure if Burmester is affected in the same way, but I'd be cautious as it probably is
Old 07-22-2024, 01:08 PM
mobidutch
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. But it looks like that is based on POG11 instead of POG24, correct?

Last edited by mobidutch; 07-22-2024 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:10 PM
technoholic
Advanced

It took a bit of investigation but eventually I built a suitable SD card and it was all done in 10 minutes
Old 07-22-2024, 01:22 PM
mobidutch
5th Gear

OK thank you. I think I'll have to keep digging for alternative instructions, as I would prefer to have CarPlay take over the entire screen, including the left menu bar and top status bar of PCM.
Old 07-22-2024, 01:25 PM
technoholic
Advanced

Originally Posted by mobidutch
OK thank you. I think I'll have to keep digging for alternative instructions, as I would prefer to have CarPlay take over the entire screen, including the left menu bar and top status bar of PCM.
yes indeed, it’s much better

The following users liked this post:
mobidutch (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 03:49 PM
Ontaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by technoholic
yes indeed, it’s much better

Just curious what year your panamera is? Appreciate you linking to the file you used as well!
Old 07-22-2024, 04:00 PM
technoholic
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ontaco
Just curious what year your panamera is? Appreciate you linking to the file you used as well!
its 2018 and I didn’t link to the exact file I used, I did some research and got the correct files for my software versions and went through the manifests and made sure they were ok for my car and to not mess Bose up. Don’t do this if you’re not sure what you’re doing.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:08 PM
Ontaco
Intermediate

its 2018 and I didn’t link to the exact file I used, I did some research and got the correct files for my software versions and went through the manifests and made sure they were ok for my car and to not mess Bose up. Don’t do this if you’re not sure what you’re doing.
For sure, ive been looking through quite a few of these files. Certainly know about the Bose situation as well. I'll need to double check my current software in the car.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Ontaco
Intermediate

Just wondering, specific to the Bose issue, what did you do to keep from running into any issues? I'm looking at these files(https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._...---install-mib), but there is no mention of the Bose patch(or preventing it). Any advice is appreciated.
Old Today, 08:59 AM
jk1211
Track Day

Originally Posted by AcousTech
Does anyone know if using the MIB solution results in modifications that are visible to the dealer - possibly via PIWIS? Which is to say, if I were to do this, could they find that out and potentially deny future warranty support? If so, and I were to flash back to whatever firmware I was running prior to upgrading to the full MIB/CarPlay firmware, does that remove all traces, such that a dealer visit would be a non-event?
Originally Posted by AcousTech
I’ve been digging into the MIB code and process. Fascinating stuff. Pretty cool that people have this skill and use it to benefit others. Anyway, what follows is what I might call “informed speculation” based on years of IT work. Anyway, it seems that how MIB works is that it is updating the list of FECs(Feature Enablement Codes) that are active for your car/VIN. For example, if you have VoiceAssist, that feature is enabled by virtue of the appropriate FEC being active. The file that lists your active FECs is just a text file, but it is specially signed such that if you manually modify that file, you will break the signature. As long as you are running firmware that checks that signature validation, it will fail validation. The result to us as users of the car, presumably, would be that the feature wouldn’t work. Or, worse, any FEC feature might not work. How does this solution work around that? Well, MIB implements a patched/modified firmware for the head unit that disables that signature check. This allows you to enable whatever FEC you want(assuming it doesn’t require hardware). What are the implications of that? Well two-fold:

1. You can use features that you didn’t originally have, or possibly were never even offered!
2. Porsche, and thus the dealer, knows, from their records for that car, whatever FECs were enabled for your VIN. And thus they _could_ know if your car’s current configuration matches their expectations.

Taking that second item a little further: If you work through a dealer to enable something, like Voice Assist, they will use PIWIS, light up the feature, and properly re-sign that FEC file so everything keeps working. Which would mean that if you light up features outside of the dealer, and use an unsigned FEC file, that the dealer, theoretically, could tell that something was “off”. Now, do they do that? I don’t know. Would they replace your FEC with the “last known good” file, or just rewrite it with the features that the factory knows your VIN had? I don’t know. Even if they did, or even if they re-flashed your firmware to an “approved” version, and replaced your FEC file with a properly signed one(both of which would disable the “additional” functionality you had turned on) you could just use the MIB solution to re-flash and re-enable features as they were prior to your visit.

Let me state, clearly, that this is speculation because I haven’t activated anything with MIB(yet), or been to the dealer after having done so to see what, if anything, happens.

All of that said, do any of the folks here have any post-MIB-modification dealer visits that they can share any results from?
This is my sole understanding-

But after reading some more of what Sima has said (no other vendor gives any information so I give him big props), MIB is like jail breaking your iPhone. You are patching the iPhone itself with some new code via root. A dealer COULD void your PCM warranty if something happens to it, and you need service (not the whole car itself of course but if the PCM has an issue). Now, whether the PCM itself keep internal change logs the dealership can see, idk how it works exactly.

But my understanding is they can see the software was patched doing the MIB tools method if they look. It throws a code in PIWIS.

By my understanding, continuing the iPhone analogy, Sima "signs the app to look official" and then uploads it to the stock iPhone. In other words, the feature code is generated based on your VIN # so that the stock untouched PCM says "hey this is OEM code," and then that is uploaded to the PCM. Therefore, the dealer will never catch it, and it never trips any warnings if they scan your car. The PCM thinks it is part of the OEM stock code.

My very very rough understanding on his end is it is like coding it in via legit PIWIS software for your VIN but without needing to buy it and the hardware (OBDII cable setup); and then deploying it remotely sort of like MIB does over ethernet->usb/SD card (since you dont have PIWIS at your house) as a legit feature according to the car and dealership scan. And thus totally different from MIB which is more like jailbreaking the PCM itself, which they can find.

Now of course, that is if you have a warranty (like myself) left. If not then go ham really.

@simaservis1108 if you can confirm that general analogy and idea of how it works, and why MIB is "warranty bad."

And IF I decided to go the full screen route, I would use you first. Other vendors won't even talk about how it's done to help people understand WHY it's different/better than doing MIB yourself when asking questions. Sometimes taking the 2 minutes for the why matters.

Last edited by jk1211; Today at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: How I enabled full screen Apple CarPlay on my own