Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

How I enabled full screen Apple CarPlay on my own

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 01:43 PM
ASMal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Need to get this update!

Hey zhuangw325, I would be very interested to contact your friend to obtain the software. I have a 2020 Cayene that has the same issue not supporting full screen.
I just had a loan 2023 Cayenne, and what a difference it make having the full screen active!
Let me know.
Alex
Old 01-12-2024, 02:23 PM
Andy Liu
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ASMal
Hey zhuangw325, I would be very interested to contact your friend to obtain the software. I have a 2020 Cayene that has the same issue not supporting full screen.
I just had a loan 2023 Cayenne, and what a difference it make having the full screen active!
Let me know.
Alex

https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._...MENU-STRUCTURE

follow the instruction here it is free
Old 01-13-2024, 03:48 AM
Marcus13190
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

Instructions ? it's not easy !
First how can i get this screen ?

Last edited by Marcus13190; 01-13-2024 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:49 PM
jjchen330ci
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I followed Andy's link using MIB, it works perfectly.... all the information and instruction is on it...

read it few times.. you will find that it is straight forward.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:22 AM
jc01
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjchen330ci
I followed Andy's link using MIB, it works perfectly.... all the information and instruction is on it...

read it few times.. you will find that it is straight forward.
I loaded the files on my SD card but when I try to run the software update it just seems to spin when loading the files. I gave it like 3-4 minutes and gave up. I'm going to modify the file name to try the auto install
Old 01-14-2024, 11:23 AM
jjchen330ci
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jc01
I loaded the files on my SD card but when I try to run the software update it just seems to spin when loading the files. I gave it like 3-4 minutes and gave up. I'm going to modify the file name to try the auto install
I followed recommendation to use auto installation. (modify the file name to trigger the auto install),
the system kick in and installed automatically, it will boot up and reset about 3 times.. it took about 5 ~ 7min.. I think....
once completed, you will see the summary screen, then.. you can reboot, exit.
it will reboot to normal screen. you should be able to access GEM menu, once you are in, ... install the patch (AIO), it will install and reboot again.
go back in to GEM menu to multi-media to enable carplay full screen.

hope this help~

Old 01-15-2024, 02:46 PM
jc01
Intermediate

I installed the launcher but can't seem to get into the GEM. I'm holding the center button and tuner (source) button. does the SD card need to be in to load the GEM? if so I guess I need to disable the auto launch again so it doesn't automatically reboot as it loads up.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:47 PM
jc01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jjchen330ci
I followed recommendation to use auto installation. (modify the file name to trigger the auto install),
the system kick in and installed automatically, it will boot up and reset about 3 times.. it took about 5 ~ 7min.. I think....
once completed, you will see the summary screen, then.. you can reboot, exit.
it will reboot to normal screen. you should be able to access GEM menu, once you are in, ... install the patch (AIO), it will install and reboot again.
go back in to GEM menu to multi-media to enable carplay full screen.

hope this help~
how do you load the GEM?
Old 01-19-2024, 03:53 PM
nordschlief
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default PCM side menu scroll frozen when in CarPlay

I recently got full screen CarPlay enabled and everything works but when CarPlay is active and I have the CarPlay menu icon selected in the left hand side pcm menu, I am unable to scroll the sidebar menu. I have to tap a visible menu icon other than CarPlay to be able to scroll anytime the CarPlay menu icon is selected the sidebar menu can’t be scrolled. Has anybody encountered this issue after enabling full screen CarPlay? I have a 2019 Cayenne with pcm 5.0 with MH2p_US_POG35_P9807 software version and hardware version H046.

Last edited by nordschlief; 01-19-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 04:12 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts

@nordschlief Please don't quote the entire OP with pics and everything.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:25 PM
Nelson7170
1st Gear

Default Interested in full screen Apple CarPlay

Originally Posted by zhuangw325
I am beyond excited that now I have full screen Apple CarPlay on my 971 Panamera with PCM 5.0!! Full screen Apply CarPlay is so much nicer than the awful ⅔ screen CarPlay my Pana came with. And I've done this without some random guy remote control into my laptop and "hack" into the PCM. I had this update done about 1 month ago and so far everything is working smoothly! The entire process took less than 10mins!

Here's how I did it...

Tools needed: a USB type A thumb driver (to be plugged into the USB port in the center console)
Info needed: my VIN number

Here we go! So I have a friend of mine who figured out how to "unlock" the full screen feature of Porsche PCM and the process is quite simple. I gave him my VIN number and he send me a folder containing couple of files. Then I copied the files onto the USB thumb drive and plugged it into USB port in my Panorama's center console. See files he sent me below.

I turned on the ignition, then hold down the round map zoom **** and the "MEDIA" button in that order for 5 sec to access the PCM engineering mode. There's an option now for "Software Download" and on the next screen PCM would allow me to select USB. You can test this out on your own.

Following the promo, I clicked "Start update". Initially, an error message appeared saying the update has failed that I was told that was normal and I clicked "Cancel Update". Then PCM will reboot again but this time no more error message!

This time, PCM will actually update! It took about 3-5 minute for the software to complete its update and the PCM will reboot two times in the meanwhile.

When PCM reboot itself one last time after the update is completed, it will return to the normal user mode. And when I connected my phone to Apple CarPlay, the magic happened!

Couple of final thoughts...
1) I think my friend's file was able to update the PCM firmware to "unlock" the full screen feature of CarPlay but you Panamera needs to come with CarPlay from the factory.
2) It should work with PCM 5.0 and prior systems even on Cayenne, Macan, 718 and 911s.
3) Ever file is linked to the vehicle VIN number and can only be used on that VIN.
4) It will NOT enable wireless Apple CarPlay since the factor PCM doesn't come with the wireless hardware. Just get a wireless dongle on Amazon and you should be happy.
5) Best part is I did everything on my own (besides getting the file from my friend) and the entire process took me less than 10min after I copied the files onto my thumb drive.

If anyone is interested, maybe I can ask my friend to become a vendor on Rennlist and provide his service. Let me know in the comments below.
Interested in this functionality.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:38 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 139 Posts

@Nelson7170 You quoted the entire OP with pics and everything just to mess with me didn't you?
The following users liked this post:
solidgranite (05-11-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 05:33 AM
Shookie
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Interested.
Old 01-27-2024, 03:11 PM
Nicksta
1st Gear

Interested in the USB solution! Pls msg me with details - thanks!
Old 01-30-2024, 01:58 AM
froderosand
1st Gear

Interested as well.

Quick Reply: How I enabled full screen Apple CarPlay on my own