Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Water in passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Water in passenger floorboard

I bought my 2013 GTS 2 months ago and have had nothing but issues. As I've noted elsewhere, the amp and pcm were off getting fixed at a shop... shop said water damage to amp, but I hadn't had the car long enough to know if the floor had been wet.

Tonight I'm out of town and took the car to the carwash - not the laser/auto wash, but old school pressure washer by yourself type...decided to check the passenger floor and what do you know, it's drenched.

I tore the carpet back up and had my wife pour a 2 gallon bucket of water on the windshield, but I didn't see any water intruding. I don't have tools to dig the amp up, but in my estimation, the water is coming in, soaking the padding around the amp, and that's what caused it to malfunction previously.

I previously had a Cayenne and it was well documented what the issue was, but not having much luck for the panny.... any help out there from those that have fixed thus?

TIA!
Old 04-26-2023, 09:40 PM
PanameraCharger
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Probably coming from the ac evaporator drain tube. Check if it disconnected
Old 04-26-2023, 09:41 PM
DasYeoman
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

if you have a sunroof check the drains for cloggage
Old 04-26-2023, 09:45 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

OK, so I can't let these things go. I love this car, but I'm disheartened that stuff keeps happening... even though I'm away, I just had to tear into it. Went and bought a $7 Harbor freight socket set and got to work.

I think I found where the water is getting in, but only via feel, not visual. See attached photo. The black foam in circled in red is damp on the back side.... and the red arrow is pointing toward where the water is coming from. I reached up in there and traced the wet foam. All other foam is dry.

It appears like it's coming from a plastic box attached to the firewall, running to the right in the photo, then down over behind those wire looms, and to the floorboard... from there, the black foam seems to leech it and cause the carpets to feel wet once enough has gotten in.

Does anyone know whats up in here and how to seal it out? Seems like it's right behind what appears to be the blower fan

(but I'm not certain)
Old 04-26-2023, 09:47 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by PanameraCharger
Probably coming from the ac evaporator drain tube. Check if it disconnected
any pic or guidance of how I know which tube this is?
Old 04-26-2023, 10:20 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If you have water in the car after a car wash, it's not the evap drain. It's the sliding roof drain, windshield, cowl or door seal.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:37 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by chassis
If you have water in the car after a car wash, it's not the evap drain. It's the sliding roof drain, windshield, cowl or door seal.
If I'm fully honest, this was the first time we've taken the car for a long drive as well, since it's been down basically since I got it. So I suppose could still be evap. Don't even know where to look.

I don't think it's door.. couldn't find anything else wet around door...
I've been searching for the sunroof drain, but can't find anything on it that is for panamera (only cayenne). Any help?

Not sure what you mean by cowl. I had my wife dump water on windshield while watching inside. Didn't notice any water intrusion, and it seemed to drain steadily under the car... making me think the sunroof drain could be the culprit.

Though, I did find this thread, which seems to point towards what i thought i was feeling up behind the blower motor
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...junctions.html

Last edited by SonofaBish; 04-26-2023 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 11:42 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Need to find the water path from the footwell/amp area up higher.

Cowl = base of windshield trough. The rain channel at the rear of the hood where the wiper pivots are located.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:24 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

I let it air dry a bit overnight, and put it back together this morning. Rooting around some more, coming to same conclusion... the first place I can find some dampness is right at the bottom of the platic box that is attached to the firewall... it has a foam seal/gasket that is damp on the bottom, but around sides of the box it's dry... can't reach around the top, and can't find anything else that feels damp up in there...

I still need to make sure the drain from the trough at bottom of windshield is clear, but it seems OK at first assessment. Maybe with a big rush if water, that trough can't drain fast enough (even if not clogged) and backed up to that box. I think it might be the same box in the previously mentioned thread
chassis (04-27-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 08:42 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

is this the sunroof drain you speak of? Seems like the entire roof would move water to the edges, then down this channel that's under the circled black plastic piece. I can see gunk under this piece, but i can't seem to get all of it out with a combination of dental tools and compressed air.... how do you remove it?

Old 04-28-2023, 10:22 AM
DasYeoman
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sunroof drains are reached by opening the sunroof, and are located at the front of the opening on either side of the car. There are multiple videos on youtube and posts on the net if you search
Old 04-28-2023, 11:13 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Originally Posted by DasYeoman
Sunroof drains are reached by opening the sunroof, and are located at the front of the opening on either side of the car. There are multiple videos on youtube and posts on the net if you search
see i've struggled with finding them... but if they're identical to the cayenne, they're definitely plentiful. i'll just try to make sure every drain is clear.

I did drive in rain today and everything is good and dry, so that's a good sign.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:22 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
see i've struggled with finding them... but if they're identical to the cayenne, they're definitely plentiful. i'll just try to make sure every drain is clear.

I did drive in rain today and everything is good and dry, so that's a good sign.
open the roof

open the front door

stand on the sill/rocker panel

use a bright LED flashlight and look into the deep forward corner of the trough surrounding the (open) sliding roof

therein you will find the roof drain.

pour a cup of water into each drain in the front and confirm it trickles onto the ground near the front tire
Old 04-28-2023, 03:43 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

thanks - yeah i was able to find it at lunch today...

on the driver's side i can hear the water trickling, coming from the wheel well area, but can't actually find where its coming out
on the passenger side, i can see the water draining from the hole next to the jacking point...

I think the sunroof drains are fine....

As far as the cowl, seems like water drains fine from it as well... i can pour water or run the hose there and in the sections at the left and right corner of the hood, and i can see the water drain under the car in the center-ish near the exhaust...

I started to go after removing the cowl to get in there and see things better, and my wiper-arm removal tool isn't big enough, so gotta go to the store and get a better removal tool.

appreciate the help thus far!

Originally Posted by chassis
open the roof

open the front door

stand on the sill/rocker panel

use a bright LED flashlight and look into the deep forward corner of the trough surrounding the (open) sliding roof

therein you will find the roof drain.

pour a cup of water into each drain in the front and confirm it trickles onto the ground near the front tire
chassis (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 04:40 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
thanks - yeah i was able to find it at lunch today...

on the driver's side i can hear the water trickling, coming from the wheel well area, but can't actually find where its coming out
on the passenger side, i can see the water draining from the hole next to the jacking point...

I think the sunroof drains are fine....

As far as the cowl, seems like water drains fine from it as well... i can pour water or run the hose there and in the sections at the left and right corner of the hood, and i can see the water drain under the car in the center-ish near the exhaust...

I started to go after removing the cowl to get in there and see things better, and my wiper-arm removal tool isn't big enough, so gotta go to the store and get a better removal tool.

appreciate the help thus far!
Sounds like from the description it could be related to cowl drain or evap drain. What about the cabin filter? Is it a known leak area on 970? Water leaks are usually not one-offs and multiple people experience them, which helps in the root-cause finding process.

Quick Reply: Water in passenger floorboard